• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordo
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 02, 2000

Swing mount tire carrier?

My frustration is building and I know there is someone, somewhere who knows where in to find a simple, swing mount rear tire carrier for an '83 Wagoneer. I searched the forums and found one lead but it was on a Cherokee and Wagoneers and Cherokees are obviously different in measurement and style. So who wants to be my hero? I don't want to get one custom welded but I'm almost to that point of saying, heck with it. Please help if possible - thanks!!

bignblue replied:
    Check JC Whitney, they have one that'll fit. Not sure of the page number, but browsing is always fun with that catalog. I wasn't aware that the tailgate and rear quarter panel of Wagos and Cheros were different.

Scruffy replied:
    I was under the impression that "Killer 32 Fabrications" was currently working on that project.

Panther replied:

Here's one by MetalWard.

Bob Barry replied:
    The Wags used wrap-around taillights, while the Cherokees and Grand Wags used vertical taillights on the rear panel with separate side markers.

The JC Whitney mount bolts to the rear panel above and below the taillights in either location. It doesn't seem to be the sturdiest piece of metal ever bent up and boxed for sale, though, and the body attachment points are kind of "flexy", so you wouldn't want to hang a 38" on there.

Bernie replied:
    That tire mount is $250 more than I paid for my whole Jeep!!!!!!!

Frank replied:
    I saw one on a GW while on vacation - the sticker on it advertised 'Valley Industries' in California. I got to their website but it seems to be undergoing a revamp and is not current. The old website showed many accessories which were offered. Try a search for valley industries.Hope this helps!

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: irbob ]</p>
    \'83 WAG LIMITED<BR>360 2BBL, 217K miles<BR>New Engine: in progress<BR>New Intake: in progress<BR>Paint Job: in progress<BR>Skyjacker Lift: in progress
Working...
X