• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by Fla Ryan
    Rob, this thread has inspired me to take another look at my leaky ASC sunroof in my 88 wag!

Jake is sending me some parts but I’m curious how you removed your halo around the glass?

Tried to pull mine out from the bottom, as it says in the 90 shop manual, but can’t find a way to do it from below. Thanks!
    Mind you it's been a year since I removed everything, but looking at it now you need to remove the 4 screws that attach the plastic halo to the glass at the front. In order to do that I think you'll need to drop the entire assembly if you can't slide the glass back. I had no idea what I was doing and ended up breaking the front of the halo off.

I'm still putting mine back together slowly (again, it's been a year) and prepping some things like new screws (Ace Hardware) and a new cam block (ShopSAR.com), so let me know if you need any pics that I don't already have here.
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

I took a couple days off resto to resto myself. May have overdone things a tad but felt good enough today to cut, glue, and set a slice of new headliner to the sunshade.

Before the cut:
      PXL_20210101_212637196 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

After the cut and upholstery adhesive. I'll need a lot more adhesive to do the front and rear headliner pieces once I get the sunroof assembly in:
      PXL_20210102_022003378 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Slid the shade into the tracks on both sides and will leave it there till I get my new cam block and can install the glass:
      PXL_20210102_025752680 by Robert Stone, on Flickr
      Last edited by MysticRob; 09-11-2021, 10:21 AM.
      --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• MysticRob
        350 Buick
        • Nov 26, 2019

Bought some good stainless steel screws for the wind deflector assembly. The rail pops up when the glass slides back:
        PXL_20210103_191944830 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

PXL_20210103_191937246 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

I'll keep the rubber gasket that goes along the top of the rear on the assembly near the sunroof motor. Did a little repair here where there was a hole cut. Not sure why the gasket was cut, but figure it was some hillbilly repair attempt gone wrong. Just used some gasket maker on it:
        PXL_20210103_203643204 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Lubed up all the tracks and pivot points. My new cam block made it to the Boise post office so hopefully I get it tomorrow and can put the entire thing back together soon:
        PXL_20210103_201637760 by Robert Stone, on Flickr
        Last edited by MysticRob; 09-11-2021, 10:24 AM.
        --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• Fla Ryan
          230 Tornado
          • Apr 18, 2019

Looks really great! I ordered every replaceable part that Old Jake had for the 950 so hoping they’re on the way soon. My plan is to fix the worn out cams that caused my back drivers corner of the glass to drop but have all the parts on hand to do a full rebuild, if it’s ever needed.

If you need a picture of the switch bracket, let me know. I took my headliner out this past week, so it’s easily accessible.

My big challenge is 3 of the 4 corners of my drip tray are rusted out. Previous owner tried to use big globs of silicon to repair but it’s a huge mess.

Trying to find a fabricator to repair the metal, with little luck so far. If I get desperate I may try to grind out the rust and repair with fiberglass, but first preference is to do it the right way.
          1990 Grand Wagoneer
          1988 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• MysticRob
            350 Buick
            • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by Fla Ryan
            ...If you need a picture of the switch bracket, let me know. I took my headliner out this past week, so it’s easily accessible.

My big challenge is 3 of the 4 corners of my drip tray are rusted out. Previous owner tried to use big globs of silicon to repair but it’s a huge mess.

Trying to find a fabricator to repair the metal, with little luck so far. If I get desperate I may try to grind out the rust and repair with fiberglass, but first preference is to do it the right way.
            Yes please, would appreciate a pic of the bracket and how it's attached to the roof area! I'll PM you my number shortly (I keep phone and emails off public forums).

EDIT: In fact, if you would be so kind as to send pics of your front headliner and how all that is formed around that roof area, I'd appreciate it. I'll be tackling that at some point, and have a 'normal' non-sunroof front headliner I got from a salvage yard that I want to adapt, if possible. Yours might give me ideas.

Man, I wish I could help with the rusted out corners. I've been very lucky with this build.
            Last edited by MysticRob; 01-04-2021, 08:20 AM.
            --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• MysticRob
              350 Buick
              • Nov 26, 2019

I had a bit of a health setback a couple days ago but feeling much better today, so I tackled some of the sunroof assembly when I got home from work. It had been so long since I took it all out I had to brain out how to put it back together again.

Hard to explain it, but maybe the pics will help. First thing I did was remove the sunshade with the new headliner material on it. I figured out I can put the shade back in after everything else is done.

I found the best way to reassemble everything was to flip the glass upside down on the table, then flip the sunroof frame upside down on top of the glass, then position the frame and the cams where the holes line up to put the screws in. I'm using stainless screws with lock washers. This is the driver side upside down, both screws toward the back, and the 7mm bolt up front:
              PXL_20210108_021004036 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Once I got all 4 screws and both bolts tightened up, I flipped everything correct side up then powered it up. And what do you know, it slid back like I knew what I was doing:
              PXL_20210108_021902108 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

The cam blocks work great to lift the ass end of the glass skyward for venting. This is the passenger side:
              PXL_20210108_021606303 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Sunroof fully forward and in venting position:
              PXL_20210108_021556373 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

I thought I might have to disassemble some stuff to get the plastic trim piece that doubles as a water drain guide, but I figured out it can be slid right under the glass when everything is still mounted.
              PXL_20210108_022504023 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Once the plastic trim piece is secured in the sunroof rails (there's some stuff built in I didn't take pics of) it's low enough to power up and slide the sunroof back over the trim piece. This pic is from the front with the glass back far enough so I could get access to the 4 front screw holes will help secure the trim piece to the glass:
              PXL_20210108_025009393 by Robert Stone, on Flickr
              Last edited by MysticRob; 09-11-2021, 10:29 AM.
              --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• MysticRob
                350 Buick
                • Nov 26, 2019

I spent yesterday doing the sunroof glass weather strip and gluing the rear gasket back onto the assembly:
                PXL_20210109_195025535 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Done with the weather strip on the glass:
                PXL_20210110_024412491 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

I used permatex gasket sealer and chip clips to get the rear gasket glued back onto the top of the frame. I thought I'd need a new gasket, but they're not available, and this one was actually in decent shape for its age:
                PXL_20210110_024536507 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Good pic of how misshaped the gasket had gotten from years of being loose and wedged between the frame and the roof:
                PXL_20210110_165214336 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Passenger side glued back to the frame, now I'm doing the driver side. The rear corners were the worst since the gasket was so misshaped there and wanted to pull up and off. I used a ratcheting bar clamp to hold the corners down:
                PXL_20210110_165226051 by Robert Stone, on Flickr
                Last edited by MysticRob; 09-11-2021, 10:33 AM.
                --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 25, 2016

beautiful work.

no hillbilly repairs here

those arrows on the cardboard came in handy.

dave in NC
                  SOLSAKS - dave
                  1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                  1982 J-10 Fleetside
                  1988 grand wagoneer
                  2004 RUBICON jeep
                  Benson, NC

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 05, 2020

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                    beautiful work.

no hillbilly repairs here

those arrows on the cardboard came in handy.

dave in NC
                    Truly beautiful work! I enjoy seeing how detailed you are!

Comment

• MysticRob
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 26, 2019

Thanks guys. I really like working on these things too, as it's certainly easier than wrenching on the BMW or some little japanese thing I can't get my hands into.

Got the sunshade installed properly so it goes back when the sunroof itself does. The plastic trim around the glass has those plastic stops that grab the shade and takes it with it:
                      PXL_20210110_190152909 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

It took my son, my neighbor, and I to get the beast installed today. Tried with just 2 of us but it was just too heavy. Once we got enough screws started I was able to fiddle with fine tuning how it sits up in the hole. Actually not too hard, just some trial and error:
                      PXL_20210110_214702057 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Originally tried to install with the glass fully forward, but that was too difficult to fit, so decided to slide the glass all the way back instead, which worked much better:
                      PXL_20210110_214716112 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Will do some cleanup and lubrication of the seal at some point but for now we're done with the roof:
                      PXL_20210110_214748920 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Figured I'd try to test fit the donor front headliner, but it was too warped to really get any idea on whether it'll work or not: Got it wet down to limber it up and stuck a bunch of stuff on it to straighten it out. Rear is a bit warped too so will do the same thing to it. Will leave it this way overnight and refit tomorrow:
                      PXL_20210110_225742629 by Robert Stone, on Flickr
                      Last edited by MysticRob; 09-11-2021, 10:37 AM.
                      --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 25, 2016

I wish I had taken the time on my wagoneer

to get the two droops you often see

in the rear cargo headliner portion

all the way at back two corners.

there is almost always some sag there

from weight over the years, and moisture.

dave in NC
                        SOLSAKS - dave
                        1982 J-10 Fleetside
                        1988 grand wagoneer
                        2004 RUBICON jeep
                        Benson, NC

Comment

• MysticRob
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 26, 2019

I once again had a bit of a health setback when I tried to pull a roller door down at work a few days ago, and ended up stretching my midsection a bit too much.
                          I'm feeling much better now, so last night after work I soaked down the rear headliner and piled some things on it to reshape it correctly:
                          PXL_20210115_231928476 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Also got around to finishing the cleanup of the coolant overflow and windshield washer reservoirs.
                          I had to use a large wire brush to get all the exterior gunk off, which was the only thing that worked well after 30-something years of grime.
                          I soaked the insides with Purple Power for a few weeks, which was able to dissolve all the gunk very well.
                          Before:
                          PXL_20201017_032532202 by Robert Stone, on Flickr

Be after:
                          PXL_20210115_225149488 by Robert Stone, on Flickr
                          Last edited by MysticRob; 09-11-2021, 10:39 AM.
                          --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• SlowGear
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 12, 2013

May I ask how you managed to reinstall the sun shade with the entire assembly mounted in the cabin? I removed mine to recover it figuring I could do the same (install afterward) but have not figured out how to get it back in.
                            Mike

88 Grand Wagoneer
                            Bone stock - except the missing stuff

Comment

• MysticRob
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by SlowGear
                              May I ask how you managed to reinstall the sun shade with the entire assembly mounted in the cabin? I removed mine to recover it figuring I could do the same (install afterward) but have not figured out how to get it back in.
                              I actually reinstalled that sunshade while the entire assembly was out of the vehicle. Easy enough to just bend the shade a bit like a taco shell into those channels on each side.

Here you can see the general position I had everything in before I taco-shelled the shade back in the channels that are on the right side of the pic. I also had to unhook the plastic tabs on the rain gutter that I'm pointing at to get enough room to slide the velco tabs in front of the gutter:
                              PXL_20210108_022504023 by Robert Stone, on Flickr
                              Last edited by MysticRob; 09-11-2021, 10:42 AM.
                              --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 25, 2016

washer jug and coolant jug look great.
                                dave in NC
                                SOLSAKS - dave
                                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                                1988 grand wagoneer
                                2004 RUBICON jeep
                                Benson, NC