• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdf69
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 09, 2001

Fuel Injection Modification

Does anyone out there have information about converting from a Carb to EFI for the GW?
  • Ralph
    Third Member
    • Apr 11, 2000

What in particular do you want to know?

------------------
    J ust
    E mpty
    E very
    P ocket
    We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• TPIGUY
      232 I6
      • Jul 22, 2000

SDF69,

Go to http://members.aol.com/customefis.

I build GM fuel injection for Jeeps.

TPIGUY
      _________________________<BR>85 Grand Wagoneer<BR>Tuned Port Injection

Comment

• themaddhatter
        232 I6
        • Feb 06, 2001

HEY TPIGUY

Your link does NOT go anywhere!

How about an update? I am interested in EFI also.

Later

------------------
        Shane "themaddhatter" O'Neill
        Jeep Freak
        94 Wrangler: Stock for now
        88 GW: Just got the panel junkie
        looking to make both serious rigs.
        Shane \"themaddhatter\" O\'Neill<BR>Jeep Freak<BR>94 Wrangler: Stock for now<BR>88 GW: Just got the panel junkie <BR>looking to make both serious rigs.

Comment

• TPIGUY
          232 I6
          • Jul 22, 2000

Sorry guys,

Don't include the period at the end.
          Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

This should work.

TPIGUY

Comment

• sdf69
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 09, 2001

I am wondering if the modification can be done by taking the EFI off another vehicle and installing it on the GW.

How difficult would it be to convert?

Would I need any special tools or parts?

How much would it cost?

Shawn

Comment

• TPIGUY
              232 I6
              • Jul 22, 2000

SDF69,

Yes, you can make GM EFI from another engine fit the GW 360. I do it for hire. However, you'll have to get the chip in the ECM reprogrammed for the AMC 360 engine. I can sell you one or Howell, Turbocity, and others. It is not an easy task since there is a lot of custom fabricating and technical issues to work out, but it can be done if you have the patience and ability.

I just noticed that Howell has a new website and their TBI price is $1200 for the FSJ without spark control. I guess this means I can raise my price too

TPIGUY

Comment

• Narnian
                350 Buick
                • Aug 02, 2000

Ralph and I put EFI on my 81 FSJ. The performance is incredible. The gas mileage is unimproved. My mileage may be due to a clogged catalytic though. I can give you more details if you are interested. (email me)

The Holley kit we used will cost you around $1100 - $1500 new at a speed shop. I got my kit used for $325. If you hunt around you can probably get it used between my price and $600.

------------------
                360 w/Holley Fuel Injection, Edelbrock manifold, NP219, 3.31, 33's, no fuzzy dice (yet)
                AND an 86 Corvette & 87 GMC Jimmy (Jimmy soon to be for sale)
                1981 Cherokee Chief Laredo: 360 w/Holley Fuel Injection, Edelbrock manifold, NP219, 3.31, 33\'s, no fuzzy dice (yet)<br />1987 J20: Stock except for the gaudy red Durabak all over the exterior<br />1990 Corvette that get\'s driven anytime I don\'t need to haul a load or go offroad and the temperature is over 32F.

Comment

• TPIGUY
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 22, 2000

Narnian,

Do you have a fulltime O2 sensor hooked to your Holley TBI?

TPIGUY

Comment

• Ralph
                    Third Member
                    • Apr 11, 2000

Actually, the throttle body we installed in Narnian's Jeep is roughly equivalent to Holley P/N 520-20S, which sells new for just under $700 at Summit or Jegs. There's presently one for auction on eBay starting at $400. This is an excellent replacement for a carburetor, and has all necessary emissions ports.

But, unless you go up to the 4Di kits at about $1400, or comparably the Accel TBI, you don't get the benefit of any IGNITION CONTROL. Likewise, GM-based setups such as Force, Howell, and TPIGuy's have ignition control and also have a "limp home" feature that may save your butt if the system breaks, malfunctions, or otherwise loses full performance.

I'm currently planning to use a GM-based system but with a Holley throttle body, and I'll probably have TPIGuy make a custom EPROM for the ECU.

Then again, a multi-port fuel injection (MPI) is another animal altogether, more efficient but similarly much more expensive. Here's a good picture of one: http://www.rancefi.com/HeavyGraphics/AMC.htm

------------------
                    J ust
                    E mpty
                    E very
                    P ocket

Comment

• Narnian
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 02, 2000

Yepper. I installed the O2 sensor a few weeks after we got the thing running. Smoothed out the ride a good bit.

BTW Ralph, the price tag of $700 is correct - for the 670CFM 2bbl. (which is what I needed and what I got) When I called Jegs last summer they quoted me a kit price of $1350 - but they were trying to sell me the 4bbl kit with some extras. My boo boo

The closed loop is only an additional $16 so you should buy it at the same time to save on shipping.

I really need to do something about my cat to find out if that's why my mileage has suffered so badly.
                      1981 Cherokee Chief Laredo: 360 w/Holley Fuel Injection, Edelbrock manifold, NP219, 3.31, 33\'s, no fuzzy dice (yet)<br />1987 J20: Stock except for the gaudy red Durabak all over the exterior<br />1990 Corvette that get\'s driven anytime I don\'t need to haul a load or go offroad and the temperature is over 32F.

Comment

• TPIGUY
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 22, 2000

Narnian,

I would install an LED O2 sensor A/F ratio monitor to check how well the O2 sensor is working. Unless your carb was jetted lean, I don't see how you could be getting worse mileage, unless your foot is enjoying the throttle response too much.

TPIGUY

Comment

• TPIGUY
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 22, 2000

Ralph,

This may or may not be correct, but I doubt if Howell does igntion control for the AMC 360 with their $1200 kit. I know how they pick up the RPM signal now and it doesn't allow for ignition control. They use a filter circuit and pickup RPM at the coil negative terminal after the timing has already been determined. Without the filter circuit, the ECM would get too many voltage spikes and probably fry. I also know how to disable code 42, which is the timing code. If this code isn't disabled, doing it Howell's way would always give you a code 42.

This information needs to be verified but Howell may do ignition control, however, I think it's a $300 add to the $1200 price.

TPIGUY

Comment

• Ralph
                            Third Member
                            • Apr 11, 2000

TPIGuy, I'm sure you know your competition's products much better than I do.

------------------
                            J ust
                            E mpty
                            E very
                            P ocket

Comment

• JEEPRZ
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 27, 2001

The standard Howell kit does not do ignition control. Id advise using a GM, or any other 'factory' efi system over a aftermarket (such as holley). The major manufactures spend alot of time and money in R&D for their efi systems. They are more adaptable, and the quaitly of parts is superior. Good luck with those Holley injectors...Usually good fer about a year on average.

------------------
                              Dave
                              83 GW
                              360/727/229
                              tow rig for 85 CJ
                              3"lift, 31s, 3.31s, edlebrock intake (TBI in the works), cam, custom DIY exh, rebuilt trans shift kit and factory aux cooler,modified 229 (no viscous coupling, *improved* vacuum system), lotsa squeaks, leaks, and rattles
                              Dave<BR>83 GW<BR>360/727/229<BR>3\"lift, 31s, 3.31s, edlebrock intake, cam, TBI, custom DIY exh, rebuilt trans, shift kit and factory aux cooler, lotsa squeaks, leaks, and rattles

Comment

Working...
                              X