• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

Windows frosted... INSIDE

Hey guy's, just thought of something a bit ago while on here that I've been experiencing. It's been getting colder lately (below 0) and we've been getting a lot of snow. So, that's keeping me quite busy (with my customers). Were down another vehicle (dads GC[battery])so he's drivin' the 'Burban and I've been forced to drive the Wag through all this shlop. Gotta say, my Jeep's full time 4X4 has been extremely impressive. Even with the Goodyear Wrangler Radials. Still haven't gotten stuck to the point of having to "rock" the vehicle back and forth, forward-reverse. and I've parked it in snow banks (along the street) as tall as the wheel wells, and driven through unplowed areas around 2 feet tall Leaving axle and spring marks in the snow

On to the subject. Over ownership of the Wagon, I've noticed it fogs up the worst out of all my vehicles on the inside. Especially if raining out and higher humidity. With the winter, it ices. I was on a trip to (and back) from a job today and noticed all my windows other than the windshield and tailgate glass became layered with a sheet of ice. (-2* outside) ALL the windows including the quarter panel glass. To the point where I could not see out through them. Took scrubbing with my glove to get a small piece clear.

What can I do about this? I don't want to scrape all the glass with a scraper, as this leaves marks. Then I got to clean the glass later... again Is there something I can try to keep this from happening?
    Why do I have the problem with the wagon compared to the other vehicles? The others will do this, but not to this extant. What would you do? What are your guy's experiences?
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

biggest culprits are ......

bad door seals. plugged door drain vents
    plugged cowl vents allowing water in thru fresh air vents
    missing/damaged door panel plastic barrier sheeting
    roof rack grommets leaking causing swimming pool where the jack sits +the other side
    lastly....a plugged AC drain...not relevant now LOL
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• ZackN920
      350 Buick
      • Nov 18, 2015

door seals...maybe. Few spots are torn, have chunks missing. Generally still nice and pliable. Door drain vents... Doors all clean inside. Been in everyone of them for maintenance (lock mechanism, window mechanisms, latch mechanisms, electrical checks/cleaning, and regular door cleanout)

Plugged cowl vents...Nope, that's all been cleaned out and a screen installed in the cowl panel under the windshield. + no more wet floors up front.

missing/damaged door panel plastic barrier... Nope, they are all good and sealed.

Roof rack grommet leaks... Nope. replaced the headliner and had no visible signs of such issues. Boards didn't have any water marks. New headline still looks good with no stains.

AC drains outside the vehicle... like it should.

I wouldnt think the seals would cause this much problems. My Suburbans seals dont look so hot, but it doesnt have much of this problem.

Maybe I just need to quit breathing.

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

well...you take all the fun out of this LOL, ok....as click and clack would ask, what color is your rig

mine does the same to a point but i dont park outside
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• ZackN920
          350 Buick
          • Nov 18, 2015

ha!.... Well, it looks brown. But its actually a deteriorated Black Cherry Metallic

Comment

• ZackN920
            350 Buick
            • Nov 18, 2015

Yup. Driveway parking here out in the elements.

Comment

• bwwhaler
              258 I6
              • Apr 17, 2012

Sounds like you have everything in order to combat any moisture intrusion, I guess your culprit is just the humidified air that enters the vehicle from ambient conditions. Unlike the modern cars that have the hvac systems that are combined and dehumidify, the fsj's just can't do it, unless you can run your A/C and heat at the same time. I would like to know from people that have switched to the vintage air units if they still experience the same problems with moisture after switching over.
              87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
              Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                258 I6
                • Dec 17, 2018

Originally posted by bwwhaler
                Sounds like you have everything in order to combat any moisture intrusion, I guess your culprit is just the humidified air that enters the vehicle from ambient conditions. Unlike the modern cars that have the hvac systems that are combined and dehumidify, the fsj's just can't do it, unless you can run your A/C and heat at the same time. I would like to know from people that have switched to the vintage air units if they still experience the same problems with moisture after switching over.
                I too wonder this.

My apologies I don't have any better ideas either. Mine does this to an extent but i currently have rust holes through the floor and no carpet
                Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
                Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
                PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
                "Soon" is a relative term.
                Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

Yeah the lack of dehumidified recirc is the problem, especially in the rain when the heater is pulling in humid outside air.

Maybe not so much in the snow since the moisture content of 30* air is pretty low.

How about cracking the tailgate window a bit and running the heater on high? That would pull in dry outside air to replace the humid air inside.

This reminds me of trips to Florida. Windshield fogged on the OUTSIDE down in the corners due to the high humidity and the glass being cold from the AC.
                  Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

crack open a wing window. common issue on these older cars of all makes.
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by ZackN920
                      ... It's been getting colder lately (below 0) and we've been getting a lot of snow...
                      From what I keep seeing on the news, this is a gross underexaggeration. LOL! National Weather service is putting out some crazy stats on how cold you guys are. Gees.
                      ...Leaving axle and spring marks in the snow
                      ...all my windows other than the windshield and tailgate glass became layered with a sheet of ice. (-2* outside) ALL the windows including the quarter panel glass. To the point where I could not see out through them. Took scrubbing with my glove to get a small piece clear...
                      Pictures or it never happened

...What can I do about this? I don't want to scrape all the glass with a scraper, as this leaves marks. Then I got to clean the glass later... again Is there something I can try to keep this from happening?
                      Why do I have the problem with the wagon compared to the other vehicles? The others will do this, but not to this extant. What would you do? What are your guy's experiences?
                      Originally posted by SJTD
                      Yeah the lack of dehumidified recirc is the problem, especially in the rain when the heater is pulling in humid outside air.

Maybe not so much in the snow since the moisture content of 30* air is pretty low.

How about cracking the tailgate window a bit and running the heater on high? That would pull in dry outside air to replace the humid air inside.
                      This is spot on.

Plus, we often close all the vents and trap all the moisture from our bodies inside as we drive so as we breath out, we make it even more humid. Then when we get where we are going we close the doors/turn off the heater/defroster and all our moisture freezes to the cold windows. Then when you get back in, you add another layer.
                      Originally posted by Ristow
                      crack open a wing window. common issue on these older cars of all makes.
                      Maybe also park it with the windows cracked/vent windows open?
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• timwiller
                        232 I6
                        • May 15, 2014

X3

what ristow said..imagine that...
                        1966 J-3600 Gladiator, 304 AMC, T-18/D-20 twin stick, D44/D53, custom mandrel bent magniflow exhaust

Comment

• FSJunkie
                          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                          • Jan 09, 2011

Excess humidity inside the car.

The defroster isn't much help because it just pulls in outside air (which may be humid) and heats it. Blowing warm and humid air into a car with cold windows is a great way to fog/frost the inside of the glass, along with every cold surface inside the car. The glass will eventually clear after you get it warm enough, but until then it'll just fog/frost worse.

This is why better vehicle HVAC systems turn on the air conditioning when the defrost setting is selected. This setting passes the outside air through the A/C evaporator to ehumidify before passing the air through the heater core to warm it. This warm and dry air is perfect for defogging/defrosting.

My 1973 Ambassador actually has both a defog and a defrost position on it's HVAC control. Defrost just heats the incoming air, defog dehumdifies and heats the incoming air. The defrost setting on my 1977 Pontiac is the same as the defog setting on my Ambassador: heat plus A/C together.
                          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• ZackN920
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 18, 2015

hmm, well on rainy days that I'm having issue I usually keep the side rear windows cracked about 1/2". That does help somewhat-to a point. Sometimes, the same with the front as well. With it being cold out, I haven't been thinking much on keeping windows cracked.

What's weird with the trip I was talking about most recently is that it really fogged and iced over after I got to where I was going, while it was sitting parked! I should mention, that I was hauling a snow blower in the back. Some snow on that, snow on the tarp underneath it, and some other equipment.
                            Someone mentioned cracking the tailgate glass-I try not too. I usually get some exhaust inside when I leave it open. I think it already leaks back there a bit. (Its not air tight)

So the whole HVAC set up makes sence to me guys. Thanks for bringin that up. I did know the general gist, but never really think much about it.
                            hmm, If that Ambassodor and Pontiac have that feature i'm surprised the "luxerious" Grand Wagoneer didnt have it too...

Rango!- I was more so talking about the days prior to Wednesday and Thursday. It hadn't been all that cold compared to yesterday and today. I've been out in it most days 8+ hours to clean snow. I'll be doing the same tomorrow since temps are going back above 0 and we are (supposedly) getting 3" tonight. But yea, I haven't been out for these 2 days. Heck, this morning it was -29* regular temp. -60 with the wind-chill. We had 1 pipe freeze up in the house, but didn't take it to too long to get it flowing again.

Your not missing much man, but since ya want it i'll bring the camera tomorrow and take some pics of the snow. Its got pumpkin and leaf marks in it... Hmm, if I can get a prop, maybe I'll record a short vid of the Jeep going through a small section.

Hmm, you mention park it with windows open. I looked out at it yesterday (from in the house) and noticed all the frost was gone!?

Hey, would it help to open the cowl vents a bit while driving? I'm most the time lately wearing snow pants, so I wouldn't even feel it.

Comment

• SJTD
                              304 AMC
                              • Apr 26, 2012

I'm thinking you want flow through ventilation. That's why I suggested running the heater with the rear cracked. Hopefully enough flow to keep exhaust out.

Cowl vents would do the same thing but only while moving.
                              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X