• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 63J200atLSU
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 15, 2016

1963 J-200 SLOOOOOW Build

So.
    Posted an ad in CL in December looking for an old truck that someone wanted gone, got a call from a guy down the road asking if I was interested in this ole feller. Body is super rough, bed and fuel tank were missing, but the engine was "supposedly" internally sound, and the guy selling it seemed pretty trustworthy with little or nothing to gain by conning me... Picked it up, non-running, for $600 Got it back home and started seeing what I had. After some investigating, found that the graphite distributor "button" was pretty bad, replaced the distributor cap, adjusted the valves and hooked up a battery and, as of 2/24, the ole Tornado 230 will crank up! Quite a wonderful moment as I've never brought an old engine back to life...

His name is Walter. He shall be magnificent. He will most certainly confound me at times. I already love this dang truck.

It's gonna be a slow, VERY SLOW, resto-mod build. Going to try to do as much of the work as I can myself, and I'm also back in school full time at LSU for mechanical engineering (practical application of thermodynamics, whaaaaaaaaaat?!). I know a lot of guys on here are all about original specs, but I figure this truck's purpose at this point is to simply be enjoyed. So here's what I have planned:

Body work: the truck may end up being a rolling bondo container, but I want to do the patches on the body with fiberglass and bondo. I know many of you will take issue with this, and you can throw things at me through the internet. I like the idea of welding patch panels in, but I don't have a welder, don't know how to weld (although I suspect this will change the longer I own the truck) and I'm convinced I can be patient enough to do a good job with bondo-glass patches.

The floor pans are nasty. The passenger side floor pan is actually made from a "repurposed" road sign, which in all truthfulness is probably a pretty sturdy material for a floor pan. Gonna have to cut them out though, and fabricate my own and either weld (there's that w-word again) or rivet them to the existing good metal, then seal the seams and paint em up.

As of now, I'm planning on doing a metallic forest green on the outside, painting the interior metal the same color and redoing the dash some form of tan and redoing/reupholstering the interior in tan with tan custom carpets too. Did I mention there's going to be some trial and error in this?

The most glaring deficiency of this truck is its obvious lack of a bed. My girlfriend laughs at me because I told her I wanted a pickup truck. She says that I bought a truck that is incapable of doing literally the only thing that is exclusive to pickups. She may be on to something. The plan, as of now, is to pick up a fleetside bed in decent shape and cut the sides off, keeping the front and floor of it, then using wood for the sides and using Jeep fenders. The guy I bought it from had built a similar bed for a 1950 Willys pickup and I loved it. Here are some pictures. I'll try and keep this pretty updated, both for the sake of posting something I consider interesting and also so I'll document the whole process. Feel free to let me know how you feel about it. Any and all suggestions may or may not be ignored.

First got it home:

Walter (the truck) and Tuck (the old pup)

This would be the experiment in sanding/priming/chrome painting... Came out better than expected!
    '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
    (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
  • toddthewelder
    258 I6
    • Dec 30, 2010

That's a cool truck, look forward to how this plays out. You need to get a mig welder and learn how to use it, you don't have to go get a Lincoln or a miller to do what you need, eastwood has a good one that comes with an aluminum spool gun for $499, spend another $100 on a bottle of 75/25 shielding gas and you are good to go. http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...spool-gun.html
    80 cj 5
    87 GW
    Another 87 GW
    88 GW
    99 Wrangler
    07 Dodge 3500
    67 Chevy SWB
    2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
      327 Rambler
      • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by toddthewelder
      That's a cool truck, look forward to how this plays out. You need to get a mig welder and learn how to use it, you don't have to go get a Lincoln or a miller to do what you need, eastwood has a good one that comes with an aluminum spool gun for $499, spend another $100 on a bottle of 75/25 shielding gas and you are good to go. http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...spool-gun.html
      Thanks Todd! I also look forward to how this plays out. It really is just going to be a "go to town and Home Depot" kinda truck, no heavy lifting required. I really just love old tech and this jeep is kinda perfect for that! I'll definitely give the welder some consideration, something might pop up on CL or I might have a friend whose uncle has one he's not using or something... My arm might be twisted.

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

Looks pretty bad over the windshield. How is it really?
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
          Looks pretty bad over the windshield. How is it really?
          Still not 100% sure what I'm going to find there once I start clearing that out. Honestly, what's showing up in pictures is some kind of sealant that somebody tried to put presumably to seal the windshield. That's worrisome in its own rite... Will keep this thread updated with all my discoveries, good and heartbreaking, as they come up. Crossing fingers.

Comment

• toddthewelder
            258 I6
            • Dec 30, 2010

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
            Thanks Todd! I also look forward to how this plays out. It really is just going to be a "go to town and Home Depot" kinda truck, no heavy lifting required. I really just love old tech and this jeep is kinda perfect for that! I'll definitely give the welder some consideration, something might pop up on CL or I might have a friend whose uncle has one he's not using or something... My arm might be twisted.
            If you work with your hands you can never go wrong buying tools
            80 cj 5
            87 GW
            Another 87 GW
            88 GW
            99 Wrangler
            07 Dodge 3500
            67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
              327 Rambler
              • Jan 15, 2016

If you work with your hands you can never go wrong buying tools
              There you go talking all that reason, Todd. It'll probably happen. Gah. My lady is going to kill me.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 15, 2016

UPDATE!!! Huge day for the ole truck!

So this week, Walter (my J200's given name) fired up, I posted that in the preliminary paragraph... Today, I put new fuel lines in and ran em to a makeshift tank and also reinstalled the driveshaft. (Question, probably a dumb one: does the slip yoke go on towards the transfer case or the rear axle? I installed it with the slip yoke to the rear, but it occurred to me that would leave it exposed to more potentially damaging things...)

Anyway, the news. Walter moved into the carport under his own power! So that's a huge hurdle. Would've taken him around the block, but seeing as how the brake lines aren't hooked up, that seemed exceedingly perilous...

More to come!

Comment

• toddthewelder
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 30, 2010

There you go talking all that reason, Todd. It'll probably happen. Gah. My lady is going to kill me.
                  LoL! my brother says that to me a lot. slip yoke goes forward
                  80 cj 5
                  87 GW
                  Another 87 GW
                  88 GW
                  99 Wrangler
                  07 Dodge 3500
                  67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jan 15, 2016

DOH!

So all was going rather well, then I decided to fiddle with the timing today... From what I could tell, the timing was retarded. Loosened up the distributor cap a little bit, thinking that I could just advance it a smidge by hand and call it that, went to turn it and it didn't budge, until it budged all the budges. So not it's all wrong. Adding a timing light to my list of tools I now own this weekend.

Also, on a personal note, I'm a mechanical engineering student at LSU. Thermodynamics is my hell right now, although conceptually, it did help me sort out the ignition/timing/valvetrain of the truck, strangely... But I had my first test today. And I bombed. So I'll probably be moaning about Thermo at least until Christmas, as I'll probably have to take it again... Sadness. I think what I'm finding is that I'd be almost as happy being a mechanic as I would a mechanical engineer... But not quite. And the pay's a little different...

Comment

• toddthewelder
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 30, 2010

One of my best friends is an Electrical Engineer, and another is a Mechanical engineer, sometimes when we are all together I feel like the kid in class that always ate the glue. The fun part is that I still have to work on their junk for them, but they are learning how to, so that's good
                      80 cj 5
                      87 GW
                      Another 87 GW
                      88 GW
                      99 Wrangler
                      07 Dodge 3500
                      67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 15, 2016

One of my best friends is an Electrical Engineer, and another is a Mechanical engineer, sometimes when we are all together I feel like the kid in class that always ate the glue. The fun part is that I still have to work on their junk for them, but they are learning how to, so that's good
                        The general concensus is that an engineering degree is just a certificate saying that you can be taught and will retain asinine amounts of information and finish things once you start them, so your EE and ME friend will probably take any info you give em and run with it at least. Or they'll annoy you and start saying things like, "Well what if you...?" haha

Comment

• joe
                          • Apr 28, 2000

Keep logically plugging away Greg, you'll get'er up and running despite you and you buds degrees.
                          joe
                          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• KilroyJC
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 08, 2016

Just remember that it is engineers who design cars with things that are impossible to work on! Like the mid-80's Pontiac 6000 Front wheel drive V6 that requires you to unbolt motor mounts and roll the engine/transaxle forward to change the three plugs closest to the firewall - i found out about that AFTER helping a friend by bringing 1 medium and 2 LONG extension bars, 3 universal joints and ratcheting from above the windshield while he kept control behind the block.

Engineers.
                            1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
                            1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• tgomes1987
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 12, 2008

So all was going rather well, then I decided to fiddle with the timing today... From what I could tell, the timing was retarded. Loosened up the distributor cap a little bit, thinking that I could just advance it a smidge by hand and call it that, went to turn it and it didn't budge, until it budged all the budges. So not it's all wrong. Adding a timing light to my list of tools I now own this weekend.

Also, on a personal note, I'm a mechanical engineering student at LSU. Thermodynamics is my hell right now, although conceptually, it did help me sort out the ignition/timing/valvetrain of the truck, strangely... But I had my first test today. And I bombed. So I'll probably be moaning about Thermo at least until Christmas, as I'll probably have to take it again... Sadness. I think what I'm finding is that I'd be almost as happy being a mechanic as I would a mechanical engineer... But not quite. And the pay's a little different...
                              Keep on trucking man! I have a BS in Ag and Bio Engineering from Cal Poly SLO and I struggled with Thermodynamics / Dynamics myself. The class that almost did me in was Mechanics of Materials II. I seriously considered going back to a tech school and just being a mechanic instead (which was my original plan when I first graduated high school). Take advantage of every study session that is offered by the school (my school had a few a week you could go to) and work on problems with your fellow students whenever you can (I had a few buddies from my major that were in it at the same time). That helped me out a LOT!

Comment

Working...
                              X