• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Navajo
    350 Buick
    • Jul 24, 2002

Cummins in a FS Cherokee

Will a '91 Cummins turdo diesel fit in my 1980 FS Cherokee? I think we can make it fit. My boss stuck a 350 in a downsized Cherokee, so I think we can handle it. Just wanted everyones opinions.
    2 1980 Cherokees, 1 WT with no motor, 1 NT with 258.
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

I think it's too long, by about 3 to 4 inches. That's just eyeballing it, but the Navistar power stroke looks like it would fit, just fine. So will the 6.5 Chevy's (the later editions, that is)
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Sgt. Dave
      258 I6
      • Nov 05, 2001

A G.M. 6.5 uses the same mounts as the gas engine. Use a late model(2000 or later)6.5 if you want the strongest bottom end. The 93 or earlier injection setup is mechanical, no computer needed.

In the Cummins, the best bet would be the 4BT instrad of the 6BT. Most of the 4BT engines you find are hooked to a GM TH400. Very common in delivery trucks.
      \"If you don\'t have time to do it right, you sure don\'t have time to do it twice\"

Comment

• Stolen76
        350 Buick
        • Dec 13, 2001

I'll second Sgt Dave's idea. If you go with a 4bt instead of the 6bt you aren't giving up much. It's a 48 state legal engine, but the emissions laws are different between truck and car, so they have a decent amount of power. They will also accept most of the upgrades that the dodge diesel (6bt) will take. The engine is much lighter, weighs in around the same as a 360 and has the same torque as a 360 unless upgraded.
        76 Wag, 360, TH400, 3.55\'s<br />Q-Trac P/T, 16%OD, 2\" AAL<br />Uniroyal LT265/75-16\'s on 16x7\'s

Comment

• mechanic58
          232 I6
          • Aug 27, 2001

That's a good question...but I bet a 6V53 Detroit would....that'd be neat....especially with no mufflers. (lol)
          Matt Workman<br />[email protected]

Comment

• Shake N Bake
            327 Rambler
            • Dec 25, 2000

It is do-able, there is a M715'er here on the board who has done it.

I laid it out in my engine compartment, and I couldn't find a realistic way to do it (relocating the rad to the tailgate was about the best bet)

With some slimline electric fans, and some serious 'clearancing' of the firewall &lt;read that as beat a big a$$ dent into the firewall&gt; It would probably fit.

Ok, so it might fit... What next? Well you'd need a whole new drivetrain (axles, transmission, transfercase) (don't forget all those related parts like shifters electrics, driveshafts etc)

Then there's an issue of making the truck handle the torque, well you'd need a MUCH stonger front axle for sure (probably a D50 at least, D60s are easier to find) Heavier front springs. Then there's that whole issue of the frame... Do you think it can handle the torque provided by that engine? What about the torque AND the extra weight of the engine/tranny/tcase front axle, heavier front springs (that you WILL need)

It can be done, but its definitely not a small project...

Andy
            Andy

Comment

304 AMC
              • Apr 08, 2001

You will need at least a D60 in front and new springs at a minimum...my 99 Dodge with the 24V ISB put 4300 pounds on the front two tires.
              David
              76 NT Cherokee
              83 CJ7
              05 Frontier CC 4x2

Comment

• FSJeeper
                King of Unfinished Projects
                • May 20, 2000

The Cummins 6BT fits like a champ in a FSJ. No problems. I have PICS of one swap if you want. The Cummins is a superior deisel engine, but it weighs twice as much as a detroit allision that GM uses.
                I went with a built 6.2, but i love the cummins.

Depending on what you are you using your FSJ for, will decide the engine of choice. If you are mostly on road, I vote the Cummins.
                In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• Waggie82lim
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 17, 2002

email me pics of this pleas [email protected]
                  1982 Wagoneer Limited Sold 2 years ago. Lives in a parts yard now, what a shame.<br />Its better to of experience FSJ then not have experienced it at all-Big Bad Jon<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/waggie1982limited/mywagoneer.html?1024734126809\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/waggie1982limited/mywagoneer.html?1024734126809</a>

Comment

• gsmikie
                    Auto Trannie God
                    • Feb 18, 2001

the cummings is 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet i put one in a step van and that is the room i had to have
                    I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

304 AMC
                      • Apr 08, 2001

FSJeeper~

Navajo needs the full story...the Cummins 6 cylinder is to heavy for Cherokee or Wagoneer unless the suspension is beefed up.

Dependending on which source is used, the Cummins weighs at least 950 and up to 1020 lbs, add the NV4500 and you have an additional 250 lbs. Then add oil, tranny fluid and coolant...

The M715 is not the same beast as a Wagoneer or Cherokee.

[ August 01, 2002, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: 243 ]
                      David
                      76 NT Cherokee
                      83 CJ7
                      05 Frontier CC 4x2

Comment

• Lindel
                        Perfesser of Jeepology
                        • Jun 15, 2000

M-715 is to Wagoneers, Cherokees, J-trucks, as FSJ's are to Station Wagons. They're kind of a "Super Duty" FSJ, in terms of weight capacity, etc.

They share some body panels, and that's almost as far as it goes. The floor pans are completely different, which goes a long way in making the M-715 a good candidate for engine swaps, etc.
                        Jeep Grounds
                        RRV Homepage
                        Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                        1987 Grand Wagoneer
                        AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                        1999 Wrangler Sport
                        4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• oldyellowwagoneer
                          350 Buick
                          • Jun 27, 2001

Originally posted by Matt Workman:
                          That's a good question...but I bet a 6V53 Detroit would....that'd be neat....especially with no mufflers. (lol)
                          YEA,BABY!!! lets not forget the high rev kit!!
                          For those who don't know this is one LOUD engine and since its a 2-stroke it fires every cylinder on every stroke. With straight pipes out the hood and low light watch the flames!!! DENNIS
                          ?Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your *** off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.? Henry Rollins

Comment

• Kris
                            350 Buick
                            • Jul 05, 2000

Originally posted by Shake N Bake:
                            It is do-able, there is a M715'er here on the board who has done it.
                            Andy
                            That is "CumminsPower715" (Tom), he is a friend of mine.

We had put his 715 and my Wagoneer next to each other and could find little or no difference in the frames of these vehicles - believe it or not.

The Cummins is about the same length as a 258, he gave the cab a 1" body lift to clear the intake and get a thinner (but more efficent) radiator.

As to the frames, his was boxed from the front to just past the cab, just like my 89', then open channel (c-channel) the rest of the way back just like my 89'. All mounting holes for steering - same. Even the shock mounts were interchangable. the only difference we found was the front frame horns (bumper mounts) were considerably longer, but obviously added on to the stock ones.

Yes you will need a d60 front and d60/d70/14b rear and a suitable transmission, Tom went with a NV4500.

I will give him a call tonight and see if he will add to this. He does'nt check here very often.

kris.
                            89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                            Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                            -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

• FSJeeper
                              King of Unfinished Projects
                              • May 20, 2000

The civilian FSJ's actually have more room under the floor pan and at the firewall. 74 and later FSJ frames are superior to the M715 frames which crack when pushed hard. Later frames are stronger and flex better.

This is not a hard swap.

I have pics of the nicest M715 on the road with the Cummins swap if someone wants to post them. he went with a Dana 70 front and Dana 80 rear on his.
                              In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

Working...
                              X