• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awhit
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 16, 2017

FiTech problems

My husband installed a FiTech with the fuel command center on my 87 GW about 2 months ago, it was running dandy, then it just died on me. Got it back home and determined it was the fuel pump, so it was replaced with stock and all is good again. Since then, I've run it out of gas once (fuel gauge doesn't work and miscalculated my drive) but got fuel in it and started right up no problems. And the other day it just died on me again. We know there's fuel in the tank, but its just not getting up to the canister. We're assuming its the fuel pump again but why would this happen? Just a bum pump or is something else happening?
    Everything else on my GW is stock.
    He has installed the Howell's on both our YJ's and we've had them running for 5yrs without issue.
  • yossarian19
    258 I6
    • Nov 13, 2016

If you aren't getting fuel up to the cannister, first listen for the pump turning on when you hit the key. If you don't hear it, you need to start checking for power & ground at the pump. You're looking for funky connections that could be giving power now but that might fail later, as well.
    If it has power & ground, the pump is bad. It happens. Parts are frequently junk these days.

Comment

• awhit
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 16, 2017

Yeah, pump is bad...it's just hard to believe it failed with less than 500 miles on it.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Need more info..
        Normal setup is mechanical pump to supply fitech fuel command center.
        Are you using a mechanical or another electric pump?

Is there a filter before the supply low pressure pump?
        Any debris can and will render it useless.
        Aftermarket parts even new are a crap shoot these days.
        If no filter between tank and pump, need to add one.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• awhit
          230 Tornado
          • Jan 16, 2017

It's normal set up, mechanical stock pump, to fitech command center, there is a fuel filter in line too.
          I'm not certain about a filter before the low pressure pump. I'll check on that.

We did get her going. He pulled the fuel sending unit and the sock filter was loose in the tank, and the wire connections were all bad. So he soldered it together, reconnected it all and dang wouldn't you know she purrs like a baby. Guess I did run her out of fuel again.

Thanks all for the assistance. I tell you in all the years of driving I've never run a car out of fuel, now I've done it 2 times in a month.

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

may have just been lousy pump, like i mentioned new aftermarket stuff these days is a crapshoot.
            add the filter I mentioned between tank and pump.
            @ least you can blame running outta gas on bad sender 👍
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
              350 Buick
              • Apr 10, 2016

If the sock came loose or fell off, or was disturbed...... most likely disturbed crap from tank will get sucked through.

I'd put a filter between the tank and mechanical pump , and before the throttle body. And probably change the first one after a few hundred miles because of tank disturb.

The FCC has a filter screen in the bottom too.
              87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• chuckdds
                230 Tornado
                • Feb 14, 2017

where did you mount command center

Hi,
                Where did you guys mount your command center? I have seen it in the spot where the wind washer reservoir would go? Any info or maybe a pic would be greatly appreciated!

Chuck
                Chuck
                1998 Cherokee SE
                1985 Grand Wagoneer Limited

1964 Jeepster (wish I still had this one)

Comment

Working...
                X