International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 07-12-2015, 07:58 PM

Land Rover Experience

My wife and I recently got to do the Land Rover Experience day drive at Biltmore Estate in NC. We had a great time. When we made our reservation they asked which Rover we wanted to drive, and since we had never driven one we chose the big Range Rover. It was a lot of fun. Very comfortable vehicle and handled the drive well. Deep ruts, tilts, moguls, waterholes, up and down some pretty good slopes, and all kinds of combinations thereof.

My wife and I are new at this so we learned a lot of things we didn't know. The wife drove the first couple of hours and then she went back to the hotel for lunch and a lazy afternoon while I finished the day.

I learned a lot and got some good experience and had a great time with the instructor, and a couple pieces of Land Rover swag at the end. The instructor wasn't shy about pointing out my mistakes. At the end he said I am ready for the advanced ride, where they go out to some rougher places and see how many times in the day they can get the thing stuck and get it out.

I also to got ride in but didn't drive an LR4. More my style than the RR. I think if I were looking at a Rover I would be more interested in the LR4 over the Range Rover. But I would't trade any of my vehicles for either one of the Rovers!

Anyway it was great fun, highly recommended if you get the chance to do it.

2011 G-550 "Glenda": 30mm lift and 33's

2009 F-250: The Big Truck aka The Rolling Motel Room

1997 Land Cruiser Collector's Edition: Da Cruzah

2015 4Runner Trail: DD
Old 07-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Gone,But not Forgotten.

Those deals are fun...

Rover had a TV program about what you just did. Jeep has had those type hands on test drives over test courses for years that moved all over the country.

I did the Jeep program twenty or more years ago. After driving the test course the Jeep instructor said Wow, you've done this kind of driving before! I said yes sir over twenty years of driving the off-road trails in the Colorado Rocky Mountains...

He wanted to sell me a new GC 4x4 but I already had a '99 V-8 Grand Cherokee at the time besides our '76 Wagoneer.

Have a cool one.. Don S..
Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

rovers are good off road rigs and very comfy, that being said, they are pretty pricy to maintain and we are not in darkari world anymore where parts are readily available in the remotest reaches of the world for a simple 4X4

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 AM

Yes it was very nice but I don't think I would care to own one. The 4 x 4 control is done through the touch screen, I don't care for that. Shifting from P-D-R is done by a little dial down on the center console, and to shift D1, D2, etc you have to use paddles on either side of the steering wheel. I guess you could get used to it but I would prefer more manual control. Also the dash display is a video screen without any actual gauges.

During the day the instructor and I talked about the vehicle and Land Rover's reputation generally. He said they never have any trouble with the drivetrains out there, "but what gets us is the electronics...." Oops!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:58 AM
327 Rambler

I and my sons did the Biltmore thing a few years ago.
You're right; it was a lot of fun and educational.
But I wouldn't take one of those expensive rigs where I take my truck.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light
Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Grease Monkey

Glad you enjoyed it. I live in Asheville, but years ago (before I moved here) i visited Biltmore to write a review of the LR3 when it was brand new. Had a great time on the back roads of Biltmore Estate.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 AM

We are thinking about planning a return trip and doing another drive. We really enjoyed our whole stay there.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 AM
258 I6

My wife has an 08 RR sport and I can attest to the expensive to maintain aspect. The AC went out and 2600 later it's working again. Had to take out the front seats, center console and entire dash just to replace the blower. Now the air compressor is having issues and that is another wad of cash to replace. I love my wife but this is the last RR we will own. Give me an old reliable Jeep I can work on and I am good.

She won't let me take it off road, yet. So not sure what it can do. All of the 4x4 controls are electronic. I hate that. I want to be able to grab steel and shift manually. There is nothing like the feel of old iron as you shift the gears and know exactly what is happening.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 AM
258 I6

My wife has an 08 RR sport and I can attest to the expensive to maintain aspect. The AC went out and 2600 later it's working again. Had to take out the front seats, center console and entire dash just to replace the blower. Now the air compressor is having issues and that is another wad of cash to replace. I love my wife but this is the last RR we will own. Give me an old reliable Jeep I can work on and I am good.

She won't let me take it off road, yet. So not sure what it can do. All of the 4x4 controls are electronic. I hate that. I want to be able to grab steel and shift manually. There is nothing like the feel of old iron as you shift the gears and know exactly what is happening.