International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM

newb cherokee questions

So I bought my first fsj today. It is a 78 cherokee chief sport, picked it up for $400, it runs like charm. 6 inches of lift 35 inch tires(in almost new condition) the body is rough wich is very normal for canada. My plans are to run it for now until i can find a good body. as the drivetrain and frame are very nice. The entire unit is spray bombed black, and it has a mint razor grill. all the galss is perfect to minus therear tailgate it is plexi

So here are my questons,

1) where is the latch to pop the hood open, wasnt paying attention when theguyopened the hood.

2) it has to broken wheel studs on the passenger rear axles, will i haveto remove the entire shaft to replace these?

3) What can i pull a power steering pump off of to put on my jeep, the current one leaks

4) will a wagoneer tailgate fit on this this, current one is toast.

Well thanks for any responses i get

Oh yah, jeep has 360, 4 speed,part time tansfer case

Last edited by swmpdonkey : 06-20-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Master Mechanic

The latch release is centered between the hood and cross bar, it's a paddle type, push up.
You shouldn't have to pull the axle, drive the broken studs, out install the new. Use a short piece of half inch pipe or some over sized nuts as a spacer, put the lug nut on and pull them into place. After you install the wheels and tires and torque to spec, drive twenty five or thirty miles and re-torque.
Most early Saginaw pumps will work, just check for a flanged fitting on the pressure hose, and a slip fit return. GM, Dodge/Chrysler and maybe some early Fords, cars and trucks. Sometime in the late seventies Saginaw went to O-rings and metric fittings(1980 for Jeep) so look earlier.
The last one I'm a little fuzzy on. All of the tail gates share the same design, but I believe the latches or hinges changed at sometime, when I'm not sure.
Sounds like you have a good start to a nice Chero, Good luck and welcome from the Valley of the Sun!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM

okay i thought it would be a paddle type latch, but i think mine is missing, any other ways to pop the hood. (is there a release thatis supposed to be in the cab??) I can see the latchwhen under the jeep but do not see a paddle.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 AM

they changed hinges in 79 trust me and also yes get something and pull the hook on the left side back to open the hood it should work cause thats that the paddle does.

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 AM

Are you referring to the tailgate hinges??
They changed the design of the latches on the later models. Some of the guys here have been able to retro-fit a newer gate onto an early model rig. AFAIK all of the tailgates are the same shape outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
FSJ Maniac

Both of my 78s have a side pull type hood latch. Look in the "scoop" and pull the latch from right to left.

Careful removing the tailgate, it is spring loaded and can be dangerous. Best to have help and hold the gate near vertical to remove spring pressure.
66 J-3600
69 J-3500
67 CJ-5
67 J-100 w/BARN DOORS

48 CJ2-A
Proud member of Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
cfsjc.com
No part of this post, written or pictured, may be re-used by any individual or organization or publication without my express written permission.
(Thanks, Flint!)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Grease Monkey

Welcome to the madness......uh.......sickness.....no.....uh.....f orum! And let me be the first to say...

Optima Yellowtop battery
Pretty much all origional/stock and luvin' it
SOLD
Not All Who Wander Are Lost.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 AM

I will put pics up soon, not much time,being i am on call24/7, but soon.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Giant
Both of my 78s have a side pull type hood latch. Look in the "scoop" and pull the latch from right to left.
78 was the only year for this particular latch. 79 is similar but it pulls through the top of the pig nose grille. Pix would be good.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com