• GED
    258 I6
    • May 20, 2002

tailgate weather strip, rear wiper, "keep window up while driving"

Hi All,

1)
    My 89 GW had two weather strip problems:
    The driver window looked like it had been eaten by some rodent,
    and the tailgate obviously let water enter as it was not touching the window.

Ordered both parts from a Dodge dealer, replaced both.
    Now, my driver door is fine, but the tailgate is still wrong.
    The weatherstrip is in contact with the window on the sides, but in the center there is a 1/4" wide hole. Water on the window will go straight inside the tailgate (on the motor ?)

2)
    While I'm in the tailgate, my rear wiper (Yep, it's a 89: got the compass, and the rear wiper,
    but missing 3-point belts in rear) does not work.
    I've checked the fuse & circuit breaker. They're both OK. any other simple suggestions before I go look inside the tailgate ?

3)
    I noticed on my tailgate window a sticker (which seems original) saying something like:
    "keep window up while driving".
    Why ?
    Is it because of a mechanical problem: driving with the window down will put more strain on the rails, and the whole tailgate will self-destruct quickly ?
    Or, is it because of the exhaust, and driving with just the tailgate down will bring inside exhaust fumes poisoning GW's inhabitants ?

Thanks,
    Gilles-Eric
    "La Goulue", '89 GW, reman. stock 360 with MSD6D & TBI, 727/229, 131K miles, 31x10.5 BFG AT.
  • Slippery
    350 Buick
    • Nov 09, 2000

1)
    I dunno, can't help you there.

2)
    From what I understand, the tailgate wiper motors gave up the ghost rather quickly. No replacement is available.

3)
    Exhaust fumes.

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

an open rear window can suck in exhaust fumes. the closed window also keeps the rattles down. the motor can prolly take it. the wiper motor hardly ever works. shapiro worldwide has a site with helpfull hints on how to revive them. greasing the drive cable iirc.
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Bob Barry
        Jeep Doctor
        • Apr 09, 2000

Sounds like the metal on the tailgate got bent at some point; solution would be to bend it back into place (when the window is down).

I've traveled with the rear window or the rear gate down; I have every confidence that the glass can take it, but yeah, it does draw in the fumes pretty badly. I always roll down all the other windows and the open the vent windows to keep from dying from CO poisoning.
        1987 J-20
        Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Working...
        X