• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrandGrace
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 15, 2017

Need a good mechanic in the Portland Oregon area

I know i should be able to do all the work myself, but my 1990 Grand Wagoneer needs more time and expertise than i have. So i need a mechanic that isn't baffled by Jeep with a TB fuel injected Chevy 350 with a 4 speed Chevy automatic transmission or a Dakota digital dash.

Before you ask, no, putting those in is way beyond my meager abilities. The previous owner did an okay job putting those in, as far as i can tell. There is just a few things he didn't do, or need adjustment.

The Wagoneer is supposed to be our 2nd car. However, because of those issues, my wife is reluctant to drive it. Upon reflection, i'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.

The major issue beyond my time or abilities is the fuel pickup. If driving down a long down grade, like I-5 from California into Ashland, it will die from lack of fuel. On the flat, it will restart and make it to a gas station and will fill up with 9 gallons. i have to stop every 100 miles or so to fill up. i would really like to access all 20 gallons I'm supposed to have in there.

so if anyone has any suggestions of a good mechanic in the Portland Oregon area who could try and tackle this, i would be very happy!

Thanks!
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Don't know if they're still around but there was Woody's 4x4 in Vancouver, WA that had a pretty good reputation. No idea what tank etc lash up you have in your Chev powered rig but the stock GW's had a common prob with the fuel sock/screen on the pickup rotting off in turn shortening the pickup pipe. If the tank etc hasn't been modified/swapped it's easy enough to check yourself. Drill out the rivets in the floor panel access cover over the tanks sender. Remove the sending unit assembly and see if the sock is still there.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

The new sending units are shorter than the stock one too.
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

Working...
      X