• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Who has the rusty'est rig?

I have seen some rusty SOBs on here and I got to thinking: Who has the rusty'est rig around? Post pics!

Doesn't have to be a FSJ but it would be nice. Doesn't have to be a complete rig, maybe you bought it for parts. Doesn't have to run/drive, though you get more street cred if it does/did when you had it. Surface rust does not count, must be bubbley, ugly, cancerous, rust. It DOES have to be owned (or was owned) by you or someone in your household though.

Winner gets the admiration of all of us that view their pics.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • JDD
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2011

Not mine, but this one would probably win:
    A Jeep Wagoneer buried in a sand dune near Ballston Beach in Cape Cod for 40 years was unearthed on Friday.

Comment

• fsj454
      Long time member
      • Jan 02, 2015

Trusty Rusty

I drive this jeep where I don't care.Work,WaL=mart ,ETC.Hase no passenger seat or carpet or floor .I use 18 wheeier mud flaps for floor and sound deaden. I will not drive nothing but a fsj .1990 MSRP PRICE $ 30.000 $
      1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

Wish I had pics of the 68 J3700 I had. The back half of the frame had 2x4's ratchet strapped under it when I bought it. One end of the 2x4's where sitting on top of the rear axle tubes.

As soon as I popped the straps loose the frame bent/broke in half.
        Thomas Russell
        1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
        1971 Gladiator
        J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
        1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by fsj454
          I drive this jeep where I don't care.Work,WaL=mart ,ETC.Hase no passenger seat or carpet or floor .I use 18 wheeier mud flaps for floor and sound deaden. I will not drive nothing but a fsj .1990 MSRP PRICE $ 30.000 $
          That's great! Show us the cancer!!! (or a link to where you show it somewhere else)
          Originally posted by KaiserMan
          Wish I had pics of the 68 J3700 I had. The back half of the frame had 2x4's ratchet strapped under it when I bought it. One end of the 2x4's where sitting on top of the rear axle tubes.

As soon as I popped the straps loose the frame bent/broke in half.
          HAHA! That's what I'm talking about! Cancer at it's best!
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Tanker
            350 Buick
            • Jan 04, 2005

See Sig We had a SJ come out of Pittsburgh that left about 20lbs of rust at the rest area,in sheets. Not sure how much fell off the trailer. That one we striped out an the scrap yard cried because it fell apart coming off the trailer. Paint was holding that one together along with Zbart. We now have one with a piece of Oak holding the frame together. Post mount frame.Was told the rode fine.
            Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
            Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• 68glad
              350 Buick
              • Jun 01, 2006

68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
              78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• ZackN920
                350 Buick
                • Nov 18, 2015

Really Rang?, Really?... Your thread is FLAWED. It needs to be one or the other. or it don't count-

I've seen each. I've seen plenty of crap still driving around that should be in the scrap yard due to all the rust, and have been in the junkyard and seen some that have fallen/ripped apart due to all the rust.

Rusty'est FSJ that I have seen was in the local junkyard. I knew it was there before I bought my Wag, but the first time they saw my "new" vehicle they had to tell me that they had one, if I needed parts. Well, the parts I needed-this one didn't have, because it was much worse. and mine was already complete/everything and extra's there when I bought it.

There was pretty much nothing left to the frame, both of the springs in the back rusted off the frame and were in the floor. Most of the floor was gone, and most of the inner door channels were gone too. Doors opened and closed like they should, but when they were closed the side of the Jeep flapped in the breeze... The only thing I took from the Jeep was a knob from the radio.
                Would anyone of you guy's here, believe it was a 1991 "Final Edition" with only 140K? That was it.

I saw it the next summer again. It was out in front. Someone bought the drivetrain out of it. I saw it before the drivetrain was pulled and I'm sure it was put in the crusher after the job.
                They pick up cars and transport them with an end loader, with forks on the front. Well, the Wagoneer actually bent in half from being picked up. The body bent up in the middle, the doors wouldn't latch anymore, the seats were in a funky position due to the funky bends in the floor, and I think the rear axle fell out of it. I don't remember seeing it.
                It's a shame I didn't get pictures of it.

Most of y'all here have probably seen mine. I like to post pictures. After seeing that piece of ****, mine don't look too bad. Sure, when I got it, there were holes in rear quarter panels, holey rockers(that are still holey), no rear body mounts, rusted solid nuts and bolt's/components and of coarse my frame issue's, BUT-at least its not falling apart.

I've since done some rust repair work-patched quarter's, patched floors, homemade rear body mounts, general clean-up of the crappy ziebart job and rust. Probably more that I'm forgetting too, but have some before pic's...

My frame rail behind the driver side rear wheel.

that's actually not too bad after cleaning it up. I'm just going to leave it for now, and have since treated it to rust reformer after a good wire wheeling.

Driver side rear cross member/original body mount location. Passenger side looked about the same.

Looks bad, but eh I just covered up the hole that was in the floor from the topside and did the same to the bottom that I did to the frame. I'm not going to even try rebuilding that.

Driver side rocker, and earlier shot of the frame rail. There's an old mouse nest in that rocker by the driver's door. I still haven't dug that out...

Passenger side rocker

Rusty broken spring. Both sides looked like this and I drove on them for a yea and a half

Back side of front passenger fender. I don't think i've fixed this yet
                [

Look at that, damn engine block is rusty too! You can barely make out "5.9"

When I had the hubs apart to get out my axle shafts for U-joint replacements, these rings fell off and crumbled. I also managed to pretty much break off the disc brake dust shields as well due to the rust.

Those things were stuck but with some serious muscle and a bfh, I got them out

Here's what ya been waiting for...Driver side frame rail!

and Yes, I drive it. Lovin' every minute of it
                I've had plenty of moments, but its been an experience!

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                  Cherokee Outlaw
                  • Jan 10, 2006

Thanks for posting that, Zack, I'm sure glad I left Illinois!
                  -Jonny B.
                  1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                  7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                  AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                  NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                  F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                  R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                  1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                  1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                  1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

That's an "experienced" rig! It's not very often we get to brag about our rust!

Like you said, we have seen yours and even though you have some scabs underneath, I am sure there are much worse. Besides, yours is good lookin' and gettin' better! the one you saw at the yard would have been PERFECT for this thread! Haha!

BUUUTTT since you are the only one to post pictures so far, you are winning!
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

This one has crossed the rainbow bridge. It was worked hard and put up wet most days until 2004. I got my 401 out of it. It had been used in VA to launch and pull boats in and out of salt water a good part of it's early life and was quite a mess but still was still a driver. The tailgate window was gone when I got it. At 65, the roof would shake left and right. It was a site to see looking out the rear view at hwy speed. I drove it to work the last 2 years of it's life. In the winter I wore 3 jackets and ran the heat on high all the time. After suitable parts were salvaged, I just folded it up and tossed it on the trailer.

Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                        I just folded it up and tossed it on the trailer.
                        HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fsj454
                          Long time member
                          • Jan 02, 2015

2 or 3 inch ratchet strap

Zack my gas tank looked like yours.I put a truckers ratchet strap on it so I would not loose it .and to be safe .more rust than me
                          1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• mattmopar440
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • May 17, 2007

you know you live in Illinois when

when you arrive like this after setting off with a whole jeep

shocks might need to be replaced what do you think
                            Last edited by mattmopar440; 08-31-2017, 10:46 PM.
                            87' Grand Wagoneer
                            401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                            84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                            80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                            74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                            Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                            Inferior Chevy

Comment

• mattmopar440
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • May 17, 2007

hey ZackN920 you need a frame for that grand wag I have a 91 im parting out soon
                              87' Grand Wagoneer
                              401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                              84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                              80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                              74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                              Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                              Inferior Chevy

Comment

Working...
                              X