• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Stripping paint/primer off old plastic

I recently did some painting in my garage with a horrendously bad spray gun. It got oil based interior primer "overspray" on EVERYTHING in my garage including the plastic piece that goes around my steering column at the dash.

A buddy of mine at work said he stripped paint off his plastic center caps from his mid 60's Buick Wildcat convertible by soaking them in pine oil (like Pinesol) over night and recommended I do the same. I was skeptical but pine oil is cheap and those primer dots were bugging me pretty bad.

I don't have a true "before" picture because...like I said... I didn't think it would work. But if you look in this picture you can see where the plastic part was sitting (red line) and how much overspray is around it.

Here is the part soaking in the Home Depot generic pine oil(http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-64-oz...PC64/203458689). At this point (about 24 hours of soaking) the vast majority of the overspray had fallen off the part inside the bag.

I pulled my part out, brought it in the house and washed it with warm water and dish soap and the rest of the overspray came off, easily. After some Mothers plastic protectant https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05302...rotectant&th=1(I swear by this stuff! It is amazing and smells good, too) I have this:

I am stoked! thought I would share with you guys, too!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

dang, rang a stang !!!! worked like magic

thanx for sharing

dave in NC
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• DarkMonohue
      Shakes hands with danger
      • Jul 01, 2012

Very nice. I've used pine oil as a carburetor cleaner before, and it worked really well. A little too well, maybe - it took the nice gold coating right off.

The wife wasn't thrilled with the smell off the pine oil. I wonder what she'd have said about a big bucket of Berryman Chem-tool...
      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
        I wonder what she'd have said about a big bucket of Berryman Chem-tool...
        HAHAHAHAHAAH!!! I am sure she would appreciate it! Some of the best smells us car gets have:
        -WD40
        -Chem-tool
        -Gear oil
        MMmmmm....
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
        X