International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM
350 Buick

What the !@#$% size are the allen bolts on the front hubs?

One of my manual hubs is loose, needs the three allen bolts tightened. Yeah I'm going to pull it off, clean it out, reseal it first.

What the !@#$% size are these?? I've tried every metric and standard allen wrench that are roughly that size and everything is either just too big or just too small. I don't mean to be rude but WTF???
76/79/80/81/85 J20 (all the same truck)
86 Grand Wagoneer - FOR SALE!!!
96 ZJ

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
350 Buick

I had problems too. I think they are either 7/64" or 9/64". I know it was a real odd size and I had to purchase one just for those fasteners.

I now am wondering what I did with that allen wrench.
1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans
Old 07-30-2007, 04:03 PM
FSJ Maniac

Be careful not to strip them!! Ask me how i know...

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

Texas FSJA!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Did you clean the heads out well? I had to get some PB and a small pick to get it all out. Then the allen I had out of a standard set fit. Not sure what size it is though.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM
350 Buick

Thumbs down

These are clean, I checked. You know what, these are getting pulled out of there and thrown across the yard as hard as I can and finding some more "normal" sized headed allen screws to put in there.

I'll pick up the wrench for it somewhere for the one-time use, this is rediculous. I've tried four different sets of wrenches, all different brands and not one in there. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?
96 ZJ

Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreed
These are clean, I checked. You know what, these are getting pulled out of there and thrown across the yard as hard as I can and finding some more "normal" sized headed allen screws to put in there.

I'll pick up the wrench for it somewhere for the one-time use, this is rediculous. I've tried four different sets of wrenches, all different brands and not one in there. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?
rreed i'm sorry but....
All mechanics should be equipped with the proper tools before beginning any Repair....That being said....This tool kit should include....1) A piece of long Stout Rope......2) One Tall and Sturdy Tree.....and Finally #3) The Current Name Address and Telephone # of the Idiot's that designed the item in need of said Repairs.

87 Grand Wagoneer w/Sunroof ...BJ's 2.5" Lift,Tadrack, Dana 44's, 3.31 gear ratio, Warn SS diff skid plate, 31x10.5 A/T BF Goodrich tires, SS brake lines. Rebuilt 360, Edelbrock 3731 intake, 1400 carb and Z&M HEI Dist. 260H Crane Cam. Frame sandblasted and painted w/truck bed liner.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 PM
FSJ Maniac

It could be worse, they could be torx head screws.
I had to use an impact hammer to release the hub screws on my d60. The ones that the heads were stripped of out got a torx bit hammered into it to grab inside the stripped socket. Worked like a charm.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhoncho
It could be worse, they could be torx head screws.
I had to use an impact hammer to release the hub screws on my d60. The ones that the heads were stripped of out got a torx bit hammered into it to grab inside the stripped socket. Worked like a charm. JR

That's the only legitimate use of a torx tool. **** I hate those things - must have been dreamed up be someone just to have something to patent. Probably sold the idea to GM, they'd buy anything.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 PM

manual hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreed
One of my manual hubs is loose, needs the three allen bolts tightened. Yeah I'm going to pull it off, clean it out, reseal it first.

What the !@#$% size are these?? I've tried every metric and standard allen wrench that are roughly that size and everything is either just too big or just too small. I don't mean to be rude but WTF???
No knowing which hubs you have, I have found the allen screws that hold the window crank and inner door handle on are the same as used on the Warn hubs. I have had to drill out the allen screws in the hubs, which is not a pleasant venture.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 PM
FSJ Maniac

Drilling them out is easy, you only have to drill the head off. Use a bit just a little smaller than the head of the bolt. The threads will be left on place, but with the head gone, simple pry off the hub, and the remaining allen bolt may even turn by hand!! It will be left sticking out from the hub itself after the lockout hub is removed.

I usually just install new bolts, they are really cheap ( a few cents apiece)compared with the aggravation of freeing up a seized one that I was too cheap to replace.
79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl
Old 09-27-2008, 05:07 PM
350 Buick

Finally got back to this over a year later. Verified today they are 9/64."

So, all three are tight, I can back them all the way out and pull the outer lockout off, put it back on, tighten all three screws, the outer lockout is still loose on the hub, about 1/16-1/8" of play.

The other side appears to be an older aftermarket Warn 1/4-turn 6-bolt lockout. This one is a 1/4-turn w/ no name or markings.

Why are all three screws tight but it's still loose, apparently whatever the screws go into is loose b/c they stay solid w/ the lockout, not like they're too long/bottoming out.
96 ZJ

Old 09-27-2008, 05:30 PM

the main block the screws go in to is held into the hub by a circlip,so it will never seem to "cinch down" with the bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 04-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Thumbs up hub bolt removal

I had 6 of those 9/64 allen bolts stripped between the 2 hubs, tried the torx bit solution and they all came out with ease. I used a T25 torx bit & tapping it in with a hammer was quite easy, just line it up and hit her home. It didn't even ruin the torx bit!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWChris
That's the only legitimate use of a torx tool. **** I hate those things - must have been dreamed up be someone just to have something to patent. Probably sold the idea to GM, they'd buy anything.

Actually, torx bits are able to transfer much more torque than allen wrenches. The issue is that in automotive applications, they are always used in shallow socket button head bolts, and they just are not good for that. Actually, I'm not sure anything is good for that. When they are in a caphead type bolt, with good engagement, and the size is appropriate to the bolt, they are awsome. GM is the genius that decided that a t-40 with less than an eighth inch of depth, was appropriate to remove a bolt that has a head that is an inch across. I generally try to replace all those with some good hex head bolts, with good washers. especially in the door hinges and such.
Discs all around/ 12 bolt H1 Rims
Build still very much in progress

78 Levi edition Honcho 360/T18/D20

Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 AM
350 Buick

Such a wealth of info on this forum. All the way form hi tech to red neck tech. I love it.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHoyle
Actually, torx bits are able to transfer much more torque than allen wrenches.
Yes, I'm sure that's true, but it also means the tool has more torque on it. And given the thinner walls of the star shaped arms, I expect that is why they seem to break a lot easier than a Hex tool. Also, given a bit of corrosion and dirt, the pattern in the hardware seems to clog a lot easier and make it hard to get the tool properly engaged. I still hate them!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWChris
Yes, I'm sure that's true, but it also means the tool has more torque on it. And given the thinner walls of the star shaped arms, I expect that is why they seem to break a lot easier than a Hex tool. Also, given a bit of corrosion and dirt, the pattern in the hardware seems to clog a lot easier and make it hard to get the tool properly engaged. I still hate them!
Oh, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't spec them for anything automotive. I wouldn't use an allen either, in most of the places that torx are used by GM or Jeep. As I said, they just don't make sense for that application. Used on setscrews and such, they are quite effective. Realisticly, they are no different than the 12 point bolts that are used in aircraft and military applications, and also on some driveshaft yokes. Those are extremely strong, as long as the right socket is used.
Discs all around/ 12 bolt H1 Rims
Build still very much in progress

78 Levi edition Honcho 360/T18/D20