What the !@#$% size are the allen bolts on the front hubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rreed
    350 Buick
    • Aug 21, 2006

What the !@#$% size are the allen bolts on the front hubs?

One of my manual hubs is loose, needs the three allen bolts tightened. Yeah I'm going to pull it off, clean it out, reseal it first.

What the !@#$% size are these?? I've tried every metric and standard allen wrench that are roughly that size and everything is either just too big or just too small. I don't mean to be rude but WTF???
    47 Willys
    75 CJ-5
    81 Scrambler
    76/79/80/81/85 J20 (all the same truck)
    86 Grand Wagoneer - FOR SALE!!!
    96 ZJ

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
  • crazydog
    350 Buick
    • Nov 19, 2005

I had problems too. I think they are either 7/64" or 9/64". I know it was a real odd size and I had to purchase one just for those fasteners.

I now am wondering what I did with that allen wrench.
    1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• j20brett
      360 AMC
      • Jul 05, 2006

Be careful not to strip them!! Ask me how i know...
      Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• chakaD460
        232 I6
        • Sep 21, 2006

Did you clean the heads out well? I had to get some PB and a small pick to get it all out. Then the allen I had out of a standard set fit. Not sure what size it is though.
        87 J10 258/4 spd

Comment

• rreed
          350 Buick
          • Aug 21, 2006

These are clean, I checked. You know what, these are getting pulled out of there and thrown across the yard as hard as I can and finding some more "normal" sized headed allen screws to put in there.

I'll pick up the wrench for it somewhere for the one-time use, this is rediculous. I've tried four different sets of wrenches, all different brands and not one in there. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?
          47 Willys
          75 CJ-5
          81 Scrambler
          96 ZJ

Comment

• Wagoncrzy
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by rreed
            These are clean, I checked. You know what, these are getting pulled out of there and thrown across the yard as hard as I can and finding some more "normal" sized headed allen screws to put in there.

I'll pick up the wrench for it somewhere for the one-time use, this is rediculous. I've tried four different sets of wrenches, all different brands and not one in there. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?
            rreed i'm sorry but....
            All mechanics should be equipped with the proper tools before beginning any Repair....That being said....This tool kit should include....1) A piece of long Stout Rope......2) One Tall and Sturdy Tree.....and Finally #3) The Current Name Address and Telephone # of the Idiot's that designed the item in need of said Repairs.
            Keep on Waggin!!

87 Grand Wagoneer w/Sunroof ...BJ's 2.5" Lift,Tadrack, Dana 44's, 3.31 gear ratio, Warn SS diff skid plate, 31x10.5 A/T BF Goodrich tires, SS brake lines. Rebuilt 360, Edelbrock 3731 intake, 1400 carb and Z&M HEI Dist. 260H Crane Cam. Frame sandblasted and painted w/truck bed liner.

Comment

• Headhoncho
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Oct 11, 2006

It could be worse, they could be torx head screws.
              I had to use an impact hammer to release the hub screws on my d60. The ones that the heads were stripped of out got a torx bit hammered into it to grab inside the stripped socket. Worked like a charm.

JR
              [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
              1966 mustang fastback
              '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• GWChris
                304 AMC
                • Jan 22, 2005

Originally posted by Headhoncho
                It could be worse, they could be torx head screws.
                I had to use an impact hammer to release the hub screws on my d60. The ones that the heads were stripped of out got a torx bit hammered into it to grab inside the stripped socket. Worked like a charm. JR
                That's the only legitimate use of a torx tool. **** I hate those things - must have been dreamed up be someone just to have something to patent. Probably sold the idea to GM, they'd buy anything.

Comment

• jeepmeister
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 20, 2006

manual hubs

Originally posted by rreed
                  One of my manual hubs is loose, needs the three allen bolts tightened. Yeah I'm going to pull it off, clean it out, reseal it first.

What the !@#$% size are these?? I've tried every metric and standard allen wrench that are roughly that size and everything is either just too big or just too small. I don't mean to be rude but WTF???
                  No knowing which hubs you have, I have found the allen screws that hold the window crank and inner door handle on are the same as used on the Warn hubs. I have had to drill out the allen screws in the hubs, which is not a pleasant venture.

Comment

• jeepguzzi
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Oct 21, 2000

Drilling them out is easy, you only have to drill the head off. Use a bit just a little smaller than the head of the bolt. The threads will be left on place, but with the head gone, simple pry off the hub, and the remaining allen bolt may even turn by hand!! It will be left sticking out from the hub itself after the lockout hub is removed.

I usually just install new bolts, they are really cheap ( a few cents apiece)compared with the aggravation of freeing up a seized one that I was too cheap to replace.
                    79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• rreed
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 21, 2006

Finally got back to this over a year later. Verified today they are 9/64."

So, all three are tight, I can back them all the way out and pull the outer lockout off, put it back on, tighten all three screws, the outer lockout is still loose on the hub, about 1/16-1/8" of play.

The other side appears to be an older aftermarket Warn 1/4-turn 6-bolt lockout. This one is a 1/4-turn w/ no name or markings.

Why are all three screws tight but it's still loose, apparently whatever the screws go into is loose b/c they stay solid w/ the lockout, not like they're too long/bottoming out.
                      47 Willys
                      75 CJ-5
                      81 Scrambler
                      96 ZJ

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

the main block the screws go in to is held into the hub by a circlip,so it will never seem to "cinch down" with the bolts.
                        Originally posted by Hankrod
                        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                        I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• 82'Shagoneer
                          230 Tornado
                          • Jan 28, 2008

hub bolt removal

I had 6 of those 9/64 allen bolts stripped between the 2 hubs, tried the torx bit solution and they all came out with ease. I used a T25 torx bit & tapping it in with a hammer was quite easy, just line it up and hit her home. It didn't even ruin the torx bit!

Comment

• DAHoyle
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 25, 2005

Originally posted by GWChris
                            That's the only legitimate use of a torx tool. **** I hate those things - must have been dreamed up be someone just to have something to patent. Probably sold the idea to GM, they'd buy anything.
                            Actually, torx bits are able to transfer much more torque than allen wrenches. The issue is that in automotive applications, they are always used in shallow socket button head bolts, and they just are not good for that. Actually, I'm not sure anything is good for that. When they are in a caphead type bolt, with good engagement, and the size is appropriate to the bolt, they are awsome. GM is the genius that decided that a t-40 with less than an eighth inch of depth, was appropriate to remove a bolt that has a head that is an inch across. I generally try to replace all those with some good hex head bolts, with good washers. especially in the door hinges and such.
                            67 M715
                            Cummins 4BT/Allison 54/Ford203/Ford205,
                            Front 89 HP60/Rear 81 GM D70HD
                            Discs all around/ 12 bolt H1 Rims
                            Build still very much in progress

78 Levi edition Honcho 360/T18/D20

Comment

• newtojeeps
                              350 Buick
                              • Jun 28, 2006

Such a wealth of info on this forum. All the way form hi tech to red neck tech. I love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X