International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Jeepeta

Plow options besides meyers?

So our 88 GW has become our 4th vehicle in a 2 driver family mainly in part because of gas prices. We still want to keep it, and are loosely considering the possibility of rigging it with a plow. I found a few meyers frames in around with wiring and switches. The rams are gone of course. Not sure what other brands are available for our rigs. I really can't say I'd be happy moving the bumper 3" forward either as is the case when you use the meyer kit.

Any others options, which is the best, which is easiest to live with. I have to believe there is one that mounts below the bumper and can be removed so you don't have the eyesore, like with the meyer frame that totally changes the look of the front of the GW. Yuck!!

Would appreciate your posting pics of what you have too!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Grease Monkey

Just an FYI, your owners manual says NOT to put a plow on that rig.
01 Tahoe for the Wife (soon to be my DD)
79 Dodge Lil Red Express
11 JK Rusty's lift and 35's (Wifes new ride)
Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Jeepeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywag
Just an FYI, your owners manual says NOT to put a plow on that rig.

Thanks, not that this was the response I was hoping to get by my post, but why?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:13 AM
Grease Monkey

Not sure why, only reason I know it's there is 'cause the guy I bought my 87 from bought it to put a plow on, read the caution in the manual and sold it (to me) and bought a pick-up. I would guess the factory was concerned about something standing up to the stresses of plowing. Don't know it it would have been the NP229 or the front suspension. FWIW I have many hours in a quadratrac equipped waggy and it plowed just fine. I would think any plow for a J-series truck of a similar vintage would bolt right on to a waggy. As far as manufacturers I've been happy with the 3 meyers plows I have had. Fisher also makes a decent plow. The newer V-blade style plows (BOSS etc.) probably do not have a mount for our relatively older trucks. Best plow I ever used was a Myer that had a hydraulic pump mounted on the engine in an old Dodge. Way Way better than the electric motor powerd offerings, especially in a small area. Lots of up and down and side to side + lights and wipers and heat = lots of electrical drain the full hydro unit didn't add any electric load at all But, I doubt that a pump could be rigged easily onto an AMC 360 in a late model waggy.
01 Tahoe for the Wife (soon to be my DD)
79 Dodge Lil Red Express
11 JK Rusty's lift and 35's (Wifes new ride)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 AM

Take a look here:

http://www.snowplownews.com/ask_mrplow.html

I found a lot of answers that I didn't even want.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I would have to imagine that the NP229 would be the culprit. Since you can't lock in 4WH, you will be putting quite the load on the viscous coupler. If you plowed in 4WL, I can't where there would be any problem...

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241
Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 AM

Company has a Fisher Minute Mount II. Easy to remove and install. All that is on the truck w/ the plow off is the mounting tabs that are under the bumper. Somwhat hidden and the three plugs for the power and controls passed throught the grill. Two years installed and no problems to speak of. It is installed on a F350 FYI.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Murphy's Law Poster Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepeta
Thanks, not that this was the response I was hoping to get by my post, but why?
So they can make you go out and buy a J Truck

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPete
I would have to imagine that the NP229 would be the culprit. Since you can't lock in 4WH, you will be putting quite the load on the viscous coupler. If you plowed in 4WL, I can't where there would be any problem...

The viscous coupler would only see "load" when either the front or rear was slipping. Unless you like spinning tires, I think it would hold up fine. That said, with the road/parking lot being wet, you could stick it in low range and be fine.

Maybe the J truck front end of the frame is beefier?

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:44 PM

Know you said that you "don't want" a meyers plow; if you change your mind, I just bought a jeep and the plow came with it. Have no use for it, Let it go cheap!!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywag
Not sure why, only reason I know it's there is 'cause the guy I bought my 87 from bought it to put a plow on, read the caution in the manual and sold it (to me) and bought a pick-up. I would guess the factory was concerned about something standing up to the stresses of plowing. Don't know it it would have been the NP229 or the front suspension. FWIW I have many hours in a quadratrac equipped waggy and it plowed just fine. I would think any plow for a J-series truck of a similar vintage would bolt right on to a waggy. As far as manufacturers I've been happy with the 3 meyers plows I have had. Fisher also makes a decent plow. The newer V-blade style plows (BOSS etc.) probably do not have a mount for our relatively older trucks. Best plow I ever used was a Myer that had a hydraulic pump mounted on the engine in an old Dodge. Way Way better than the electric motor powerd offerings, especially in a small area. Lots of up and down and side to side + lights and wipers and heat = lots of electrical drain the full hydro unit didn't add any electric load at all But, I doubt that a pump could be rigged easily onto an AMC 360 in a late model waggy.

The viscous couppler was the concern, the 2 years I used a wag I just used lo-range to plow. The springs on the front were worn before I got it and I had minmal ground clearance, not fit to be used as a driver, it was a plow only rig.

One of the former plow rigs was also a J20 with a QT, under heavy use I would be concerned about cone clutch wear, I would maybe use E-drive, nearly all of my plowing is done on gravel, may not be a issue on pavement easy plowing.

I've had my plow on a wag and 2 J-trucks, the frame horns may cause an issue if using a plow made for a 78 and older, I've also had to remove swaybars on the front.

My plow is one of the factory dodge units, my brother in law had it converted by a local welder, I never did care for how the pump fit, now on the 3rd truck I think I have it sorted, when on the second truck the pump went, I pulled a pump from a parts cherokee, put the res and pressure fitting on from the plow pump, left the jeep pulley on it, and it lines up better, it is mounted in the air pump location.
88Wag
87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
83Cherokee WT
82J20
Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300
Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 AM

FWIW the only thing I use my 85 for is plowing. We bought it for the sole purpose of plowing tracks on the lake to ride our dirtbikes on. I did blow a 229 out, not the coupling though, the chain came through the side. I replaced it with a 219 and don't have any problems (yet).

I went cheap and got a CJ blade for free and added 2.5 feet to it, I won a plow fram from Ebay and bolted then welded it to the frame. Insted of all the fancy plow pumps and such, I have a Harbor freight ATV winch for lift and manual tilt.

I generally plow in 4WL with chains on the front. I'm going to try to whip up a smaller V-plow for when the snow gets crusty or deep.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

With all this "global warming" why worry about a snow plow?

Last edited by ohioj20 : 04-20-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 PM
350 Buick

PLOWING WITH THE J TRUCK

I HAVE HAD A J TRUCK FOR PLOWING IN UPSTATE NY SINCE 1988. THEY GET AN AVERAGE OF 300 INCHES A YEAR. MY FIRST WAS A J-10 1983 AND IT HAD OVER 150K WHEN THE BODY ROTTED AWAY. I REPLACED IT IN 1999 WITH A 1986 J-20 THAT I PLOW WITH EVERY WEEKEND FROM LATE NOVEMBER TILL MARCH. IT HAS 70K AND IT RUNS LIKE A TOP. MEYERS SET-UP ON IT'S SECOND PUMP. IT HAS THE SELECT TRAC AND I ALWAYS PLOW IN LOW RANGE. LIKE ANYTHING ELSE IF YOU YOURSELF DRIVE IT IT WILL LAST. GIVE IT TO SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT GIVE A :o:o:o:o:o AND IT WILL BREAK.
1985 J-20 360 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck
1986 J-20 360 stock well rusted plow truck
1970 AMX CURRENT PROJECT