• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blinkinlights
    258 I6
    • Sep 19, 2004

Finally got the snorkel finished

I worked on the snorkel today and have it just about finished.

I used a 4 " hole say to go through the firewall into the cowl. In hind sight, the 4" size was a little large in that it cut through the bottom of the cowl, giving me a pool under the dash until I sealed it up. I used a 3" hole saw for the top of the cowl as I wanted it to be a tight fit. I inserted a NEL 9x90 Rubber elbow into the hole for the 3" OD exhaust tubing to fit into.

Next, I purchased a 3" OD mandrel bent 90 degree elbow to use above the cowl in order to keep it as tight as possible. I then used a 3" OD mandrel bent 60 degree elbow to make the final curve up the a-pillar. The two pieces were welded together, ground smooth and painted flat black.

At the top of this pipe, I used a 3" ID 45 degree rubber elbow, about 1/2 a foot of 3" OD exhaust pipe and then the top of a Safari Snorkel that I had purchased in a group buy about a year ago. I clamped it together and drilled through the a-pillar and securred it.

For under the hood, I used a propane convertion hood into a 5" to 4" rubber adapter and then into the air filter box from a mid 90's Buick Century. Then it was a 3" ID rubber insert in the filter box, some more 3" OD exhaust pipe, a 3" ID rubber 45 degree elbow, some more 3" exhaust pipe into a 90 degree rubber elbow and finally some more 3" exhaust pipe. All the pipe was primed and painted flat black and adhesive was used on some of the joints and clamps where I wanted to be able to remove them easily to get at the filter. One issue that I had was stabilizing the 90 degree rubber elbow in the cowl. This was solved by mounting the pipe above the cowl to the a-pillar and then mounting the pipe going through the firewall to the firewall with 2 modified Home Depot L-brackets, which still need to be painted.

For the most part, it is done. I just need to confirm the integrity of the connections and test it. The Filter box just rests on the valve covers and the pipe that comes out of it rests on the cruise control module, but that piece is rubber, so I don't expect too much wear. I'll get some better outside pictures in the next few days to give you a better idea of how it looks.

Greg
    87 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/NP208
    BJ's Front and Rear Dozer Bumpers
    35x14.5x15 Boggers on 15x10's
    Mile Marker H10500 Hydraulic Winch
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y174/bANGr/

It's all fun and games until someone breaks a woodie.
  • 82j20
    258 I6
    • Feb 27, 2006

nice work
    burnin the bbq juice

Comment

• BRUTUS
      360 AMC
      • Dec 06, 2005

That is a sweet idea. I have never seen a snorkel done that way before... kudos! Keep us updated on how it works.

Have you done anything special on the exhaust end of things for deep water crossings?
      "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
      Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
      Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• GWChris
        304 AMC
        • Jan 22, 2005

Very nice! Do you have plans for the carnkcase vent? Do you still have a charcoal canister - it would suck water in there long too.

Comment

• backpack09
          327 Rambler
          • Nov 09, 2005

Ok, When do we get to see pics of you sunk above your hood
          Dan G
          91 GrandWag
          MSD Mag Dizzy, MSD 6A

Comment

• Woody Long
            258 I6
            • Mar 30, 2003

Cool Greg. Can't wait to see that thing works in the snow drifts.
            Quigg http://fsjworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten?id=3389
            80 Wagoneer Ltd. Custom
            Trials and Tribulations.

Comment

• ARMYMAN 30 YEARS +
              232 I6
              • Sep 29, 2006

Completly Waterproof

I distintly remember as a kid on our farm in Illinois when my Grandfather brought home an M38 with waterproof ignition and ready to go swimming. We did this several time in the crick and when it came time to tune it up there was not a single waterproof cap to find so it went to a conventional one. This degraded the trips to the crick and wound up having to have the Case pull us out a couple of times.

I only say this because as others have mentioned, waterproofing means more than a snorkle. My M35A2 has a complete fording kit and being a diesel is more condusive to dunking. That kit includes crankcase pressurization as well as pressurizing the clutch and other key components that are rather hydr-phobic. I hope you have a great time with it and by the way it looks super!
              God bless America,

Very Respectfully, David

1949 CJ2A
              1962 CJ5
              1970 M35A2 10 Wheel Drive
              1977 Cherokee Chief Wide Track 401
              1984 K-5 Blazer 6.2L
              1988 YJ
              1998 K2500 Suburban Road Warrior
              1999 TJ

An insurance bill that is out of this world

Comment

• Bama Burden
                350 Buick
                • Jul 28, 2005

nice work. time to update the avatar

Comment

• mdill
                  Gone. Not Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2000

Is it just me or does there seem to be an issue with the inlet set up, from the looks of it, it would act like a big rain scoop allowing more not less water injestion, when running in a down pour.

Mike D.
                  -----------------------------------------
                  Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                  1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                  1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                  1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                  1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                  And the other stuff that gets driven
                  ----------------------------------------

Comment

• fjmf
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 01, 2006

Good mod, but I personally would have added in a low spot to catch watter.

Comment

• Blinkinlights
                      258 I6
                      • Sep 19, 2004

Thanks for the comments. First of all...I'm unaware of the charcoal cannister sucking in water so please elaborate.

I agree that "a snorkel does not a totally waterproof FSJ make"...but it's a start. I need to address the distributor cap and the oil filler tube. I have seen the Rover guys use a latex rubber glove to help keep water out of the distributor and I'll look at something like that for this. The crankcase vent that runs to the oil filler tube cap runs back to a fitting on the propane hood. Regarding the water comming into the snorkel, they are designed to let most of the water that's sucked into the snorkel cap run our the bottom sides of the cap and then there is still somewhat of a low spot in the filter box.

All in all, like any mod, you need to work out the details but for the most part, I'm happywith the mod.

Greg

Comment

• GWChris
                        304 AMC
                        • Jan 22, 2005

From the pictures it looks like you've got the propane hood on an MC2150?

The charcoal canister just sucks outside air up from the bottom, through the charcoal, and into the vacuum line at the top through a calibrated air bleed jet. Off idle it has a larger air bleed. But in standing water it could be sucking in water.

Comment

• bowtieman55
                          304 AMC
                          • Jan 09, 2006

not trying to be funny or anything, but have you tried closing the hood yet?

Comment

• Blinkinlights
                            258 I6
                            • Sep 19, 2004

Regarding the charcoal cannister...I'l need to address that shortly. Can it be bypassed and removed?

Regarding the hood closing...yes it does...it's tight like a nun, but it closes.

Greg

Comment

• Hutti
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 11, 2006

Awsome! Another kewl thing to put on my "honey, only one more thing" must do list
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer, ARBs F&R, SOAed, rear disc conversion & Hydroboost, EDL performer intake and cam, Howell TBI, CS144, front & rear customer tube bumpers, Warn 12k

Comment

Working...
                              X