• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 06, 2000

Carb Part Question

Yesterday, I swapped carbs on my Wag. There are two hard lines connected to the choke and the intake. One broke off where it goes into the intake. A little digging rewarded me with a replacement off of my old Wag but that one's days are numbered as well. It bolts to the intake, has the two hard lines above and a coiled section which goes into the intake plenum.

I'm guessing it controls the choke from closing on a hot engine but I cannot find a name for this part. Just looking for a name so I can get one if they're even still available.

Thanks in advance!
    Frank
    '88 Grand Wagoneer (Almond), "Sluggo" (RIP)
    '88 Grand Wagoneer, (Baltic Blue) "Sluggo II" (RIP)
    '89 Grand Wagoneer, (Dover Grey) "Sluggo III", keeping my hobby alive!
  • Curly5759
    232 I6
    • Mar 08, 2015

I believe it is called a choke stove or heat stove.

Curly
    77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

The hard lines outside the manifold be remade out of generic brake line. 5/16" is the size, I believe. Just uses compression fittings.

The coiled section inside the manifold is surrounded by exhaust gas. If this is bad it will feed exhaust into your carburetor and ruin it. I do not think new ones are being made.

This wole system draws fresh, clean air from inside the air cleaner down into the manifold heater and up into the choke to heat the choke and open it. Without the system the choke will open far too slow and the engine will run pig rich.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Frank
        327 Rambler
        • Jun 06, 2000

Originally posted by FSJunkie
        The hard lines outside the manifold be remade out of generic brake line. 5/16" is the size, I believe. Just uses compression fittings.
        (snip)
        Thanks for the info on this - unfortunately, the hard lines are either rusted thru at the connection to the plate that bolts to the intake or have come apart at the same point. The good one I have, I cleaned-up and refurbished a little and should last for some time, there's enough meat on the tubes and it's pretty solid yet.

I'll be sure to pull another when at the junk yard, if it's in okay shape.
        Frank
        '88 Grand Wagoneer (Almond), "Sluggo" (RIP)
        '88 Grand Wagoneer, (Baltic Blue) "Sluggo II" (RIP)
        '89 Grand Wagoneer, (Dover Grey) "Sluggo III", keeping my hobby alive!

Comment

Working...
        X