• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trickc
    304 AMC
    • Nov 29, 2000

Anybody run a snorkel??

I want to fab a snorkel on my rig, any pictures, or better yet what did you use on the part coming off the carb?? I looked around the junk yard but most of the stuff was too small to fit a 4bbl carb top. Most of the rest of the tubing I have a general idea of what to use, just stuck on the carb "hat" portion.
    73 j-4000 "buttercup"-SOA 36's 4 door cab

78 wagoneer choptop-SOA 36's, 6 point cage, blah blah blah
  • blazer3664
    350 Buick
    • Mar 08, 2009

What will be the main purpose? That will dictate your design some.

Where do you want it coming out of the engine compartment?
    Will it be subject to tree limbs, rocks, or getting bashed by anything else?

Cold, cleaner (above the dust) air intake is one reason, water fording is a lot more involved than just a snorkel.

Planning dual snorkels myself, but haven't got that far yet.

There are a couple on here somewhere, and some are very nicely done, but don't meat my requirements because of the terrain I wheel.

Anything that stick out the side of my rig is subject to getting bashed, crushed, or torn off. Mine will be coming out in the cowl area to avoid that sort of issue as much as possible, and made of stronger pipe than most probably are for when they do get smacked.

Just some things to think about.

Jim
    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
    custom shackle flip
    W/F150 springs
    -----Coming Soon-----
    snorkels,
    OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• trickc
      304 AMC
      • Nov 29, 2000

mainly for mud, similarly into the cowl area then up along windshield. Maybe straight back thru where the glove box was then up. I don't wheel much anymore but mud/water I would like to go a little deeper.

Comment

• Mr. Goatman
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 05, 2006

There have been several examples over the years. Nothing meets my criteria of cheap/easy/nice looking. Some have gone out through the fender while others through the cowl.
        Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

First post, second picture is the one I like the best.
        Remember; When it comes to tools and toys forgiveness is ALWAYS easier than permission!

Comment

• trickc
          304 AMC
          • Nov 29, 2000

Yeah, if you look at his last pic though he's running a tpi type intake not a 4bbl, the best I found was 80 bucks +s/h for a spectre 9849 "air intake plenum". This is the part I need the rest I can fab for myself. I was hoping for " oh you need a such and such off a 87 dodge" type cheap answer but appreciate the help, I may not have a choice. All the vortex plenums are too small and didn't see any ford or dodge stuff that would work either but the yard was mostly newer stuff mid 90's up.

While I'm at it what can be done to waterproof an alternator? anything? I know rtv on the dizzy cap, breather hoses on the diffs. My gauges have been under a few times and come back to life when they dry out, not too worried about them.
          Last edited by trickc; 08-19-2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• leadsled01
            232 I6
            • Dec 23, 2010

Carb HAT. I got mine from ebay, aluminium hat that went to 3". 3" flexible rubber fitting, 3" exhaust pipe out the fender90 degree to the "A" pillar and a custom bend up the "A" pillar to a Donaldson pre cleaner. Worked real good on my 360. Sorry I don't have pics and I sold the jeep.

Comment

• Suddendeath
              327 Rambler
              • Dec 26, 2010

You can't really waterproof an alternator. They need to breathe to function, or will overheat in minutes and fry.

I ran snorkel/waterproofed electronics in an old ford explorer. My Wagoneer sees a lot of muddy water where we wheel, so I've been thinking about how to make her as water-resistant as possible.

Key phrase: water resistant. You will never be waterproof. Water will get in, its just a matter of controlling where it gets in and how much damage it does.

On our trucks engine/intake wise, we have so much going on that will suck water in.

For breather lines, I'm planning on tapping the axles with NPT threads and running cheap harbor freight PVC air hose as breather hoses. Some pipe sealer on the threads and your breathers will be sealed up good. Of course, this changes the danger area from the breathers to the axle seals. Doing it this way also opens up the possibility of pressurizing the axles in the future using my OBA setup. Could do both axles, transmission, and even the transfer case this way if you saw fit.

For engine waterproofing, I'd put a light bead of silicone around the dizzy cap and some dielectric grease on the inside of the plug wires where they connect to the dizzy and to the plugs. I'd also put dabs of grease or silicone around all the vacuum lines/fittings, to prevent a tiny vacuum leak from sucking up water.

There are just so many things that will get you before you ever get deep enough to need a snorkel. I'd work on those things first, and then drop the $ for the spectre plenum and snorkel material.
              1990 GW:
              Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
              10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

• jamesdart
                258 I6
                • Jan 05, 2013

suddendeath, I could have used a snorkel Saturday. got my filter wet a few times, and I don't run an open element filter. I already extended all my breather lines, and the fuel tank vent up by the cowl. I have always wanted to run a short snorkel up through the cowl on the passenger side with the hummer style cap on it.
                1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

Comment

• trickc
                  304 AMC
                  • Nov 29, 2000

Ive been runnning an open element filter on mine but want to change it, Ive driven mine in deep and it scares me every time I do, even though Ive had momentum and still pulling forward I shut it off before it sucks water. Ive had water up to the hood line before but shut it off. Ive dipped the nose of the hood under a couple times too. My axle breathers are already run up high thru the body or whats left of it. I generally drain the diffs after each event and put in fresh oil. If I can find some affordable, I want to switch to a 38" tractor tire also.

Comment

• pineymike
                    327 Rambler
                    • Feb 22, 2008

it works!

heres mine it's a gm air cleaner with stock bellows from a late 80's pickup connected to a center cap from a mag wheel thru the fire wall into the cab If I'm breathin' so is my motor! carb noise is nil,And Iv'e never had any fumes from it.

Comment

• trickc
                      304 AMC
                      • Nov 29, 2000

Thanks Mike, Ive got a air cleaner housing off a 73 that has a round inlet tube on it I found buried in my pile o parts yesterday. I may try and work something with it. At least the round tube will make for an easy transition to some other type of tubing vs the oval shaped thing that came on it.

Comment

• trickc
                        304 AMC
                        • Nov 29, 2000

May have found something today, v-8 grand cherokee about 99 model, has the "hat" portion but its too slim to fit over my edelbrock but with a 1-2" spacer I think will make a good cheap start to a snorkel. The "hat" portion was $9 at pull a part, I found a spacer at summit for $7 so I may be onto something. Will get a pic when I get it put together.
                        Last edited by trickc; 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                          Hey watch this...
                          • Nov 19, 2004

That would be from ZJ (93-98)... The spacer from summit will kinda suck for you because it is a hard plastic and doesn't seat on the TB, or in your case carb, very well. You will probably want to slice a piece of vacuum hose longways and slip in on the spacer to help seal it.

If you can find a Dodge Durango around that same year range with a 5.2 you should check out the air hat on it. It should be the same as the ZJ one but thicker/taller... You may still want a spacer for better volume, but the Durango one will probably be a better starting point for you.

Comment

• trickc
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 29, 2000

Yeah after I bought the cherokee one from the junkyard, I noticed what was atop the wifes '00 5.2 durango and thought hmmm, wonder if she'd miss that, lol.

I bought a mr gasket spacer set up from oreillys and I can make it work pretty good with a little massaging with a dremel.

Comment

Working...
                            X