• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cll93
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 22, 2010

Leaks

I have a 1990 jeep grand wagoneer and it leaks on the front passanger side and the rear windshield on the passanger side i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so could you tell me how to fix it thanks
  • egoods
    232 I6
    • Jan 17, 2010

What exactly is leaking? Passenger side windshield? Is water getting in through the grooves by the glass? If so a clear epoxy that available at most auto parts stores should do the trick, make sure you use it on the outside, so you don't trap water in the groove that your window sits in. If it's leaking through the door seals, then you're looking at new door seals, I believe bjsoffroad.com sells them as well as teamgrandwagoneer.com. Hope that answers your question.
    91 Grand Wagoneer - currently rebuilding

Comment

• Cll93
      230 Tornado
      • Feb 22, 2010

On the back i think it is leaking through a gap between the glass and where the tailgate meets the rest of the car and in the front it is wet just below the door but i dont think it is the seal i have looked it over and it looks fine

Comment

• egoods
        232 I6
        • Jan 17, 2010

The rear window might not be up all the way. Take a tape measure and see if it's the same height all the way across the top. If it isn't lower it down and try to get it to come up straight. If that doesn't work, teamGW sells the tracks, which are probably clogged up with dirt.

The seal on the door may look fine, but the real question is, is it actually sealing. There's a few tricks to figuring this out, you can close the door and try to spot light through it. You can wait until night time and have a friend stand outside while you get inside with a flashlight and try to see if there's a gap. Pulling the seals off and checking them out thoroughly isn't a bad idea. Dry rotting among other things, can cause leaks.

You can also try using a hose to spot the leak. Have someone spray a hose all around the door frame, that's helped me pinpoint many many leaks in old cars/trucks over the years. Sounds crude but I live by the KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid).
        91 Grand Wagoneer - currently rebuilding

Comment

• 2ToneBluJ10
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 16, 2009

Front passenger leak is probably the cowl vent. Are the card board kick panels rotted and nasty looking? They fill up with debris and don't drain to the ouside where there supposed to, so the water comes in through the vents on the kick panels and onto the floor. Remove the vents and clean out the air boxes on both sides. Theres a 3/8" x 1 1/2" slot on the bottom of each air box that gets clogged and prevents proper drainage. Its a pain with the AC unit and E brake being in the way.
          Dave

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene

Comment

Working...
          X