International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-20-2006, 01:35 PM

electrical issues tailgate window

tailgate window not working checked for power at switch under hood have power went to the back checked the 2 brown wires connected to the 2 yellow going to motor with a test light window went half way down and blew fuse.

unplugged the two brown from the 2 yellow thinking maybe its something beyond that that is a problem tried to put a new fuse in and it blew

what i dont understand is the fuse that is blowing, is not one of the two tailgate fuses it is the fuse right below the tailgate circuit breaker at the top of the fuse box and the second above the bottom tailgate fuse,

the fuse that is blowing is supposed to control dome lights etc. cant figure what connection it would have with the tailgate.
it does control the window defroster i believe not sure how that figures with the tailgate though. so have a blown fuse that is not supposed to have anything to do with the tailgate operation and with it blown i have no power to the tailgate switch upfront at all.

doesnt seem logical.

im thinking a wire that is shorting somewhere but how do i find that?

i have a black wire coming from inside the tailgate left side if you are inside the jeep facing the tailgate that is not connected to anything is that a ground?
i have a ground on the other side of the tailgate that goes under the jeep and grounds right under the fender.
and isnt the tailgate stuff grounded up front?

so any help would be great ive been trying to figure this out for hours.

also noticed i had some doors open in the jeep working on it and the ignition on only one interior light works and in 4 hours my battery was drained.

im charging it now but it doesnt seem to want to charge all the way as though something was draining the juice ..

so any ideas anyone?

thank you
Old 06-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Grease Monkey

I trust it is the 85 that you are refering to.
The defogger is tied into (relatively speaking) the tailgate motor via a orange wire between the defogger timer and the rear tailgate switch.

The individual black wires on either side of the tailgate should be the defogger wires. Guessing, don't know of any other individual wires. All others I know of are at least in pairs.

As for the fuse above the 30 circuit breaker, those wires might be rubbing underneath along the driver's side frame rail near the back. That 20amp fuse controls the park/tail lamps and fogs.

With all this in mind, I would check all the wires right there at the fuse box first, seems how the offending fuses are in between the two tailgate breakers.
2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 Sport