What intake should I be looking for (401/ Howell 454 TBI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

What intake should I be looking for (401/ Howell 454 TBI)

I have a 2bbl intake on my 401 right now. Should I be looking for an Edelbrock Performer with EGR, a torquer, or other? I would like the lighter weight of aluminum on my engine and assume I would get a tiny bump in power compared to the old 4bbl iron intake I had before... right? Anyone get through CA smog with an Edelbrock intake and Howell? I assume if I get a Performer I will still need a TBI to Manifold adapter, right?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • EKWagoneer
    232 I6
    • Jun 01, 2016

Performer will work better than the Torker. The Torker is more for high rpm applications. I think there is EGR and non- EGR intakes. Double check before buying.

No clue on CA smog, I've never had to deal with smog and never want to. If you painted the intake and got a CARB sticker for the TBI you could see what happened. Some smog folks are kinda clueless I guess.

Yes you would need an adapter, Performer is 4bbl intake, TBI is two. I don't think they are that expensive and there are some options, so shop around.

I imagine you know that the 454 TB bores are bigger (2") than a small block one (1 11/16" I think) and would probably better suit a 401. The 454 TB is about 600 cfm last I remember.

Hope this helps. Ask more questions if you need to.

Ely
    1973 Wagoneer- nearly stock, work in progress
    1/2 1975 Wagoneer- rolling chassis, D44's 6" lift, 35's, work in progress
    1992 Chevy Suburban 1500 Silverado, mostly stock, 396,000 miles and counting

I'm a secondhand vegetarian- cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Have A Nice Day!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Yes sir! I have my eyes open for a 454 TBI. Perfect feedback. I'll add a Performer to my list of parts to find. Craigslist, here I come!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• yossarian19
        258 I6
        • Nov 13, 2016

I've been told by others (no firsthand experience) that for a stock cam 401, the stock intake manifold is just fine. OP seems to have made his mind up, but in case anyone else reads this later...
        I can say from experience that you have to open things up a bit to get a 454 TBI unit onto a stock 4 barrel - at least with the adapter I used (holley?) - because the bore spacing doesn't match the funky 4350 carbs that AMC got from Ford.
        Die grinder, rotary burr, and sand paper will do it. Looking back, I wish I'd bought a Performer off Ebay but I didn't find any around the time I realized I wanted one.
        The weight savings getting it on / off the motor + not having to grind it out make it worthwhile to go aluminum

Comment

Working...
        X