X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gophman
    232 I6
    • Mar 05, 2015

They have all the images now, we'll see how they respond.

Comment

• gophman
      232 I6
      • Mar 05, 2015

Last edited by babywag; 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• gophman
        232 I6
        • Mar 05, 2015

Last edited by babywag; 04-20-2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• SC/397
          Administrator
          • Feb 01, 2010

Wow. To say that sucks is an understatement.
          The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• acct21
            327 Rambler
            • May 20, 2014

Well I've wracked my brain, and I can't come up with a scenario where they can pin this on improper break-in.

Is it possible to fit an oversize piston in a standard bore? Wonder if that liner is/was standard size, but the piston is over.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• 440sixpack
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 21, 2016

Since normal wall clearance is only a few thousandths, a bit more on forged pistons, it is not possible to fit an oversized piston in a bore size smaller than intended. but that doesn't mean it was bored the right size.

It looks like an oiling issue, which is hard to imagine given how the skirt gets oil. more likely a clearance problem. do any other pistons show signs of this? have you measured the bore on the failed piston and compared to a good one? if you know what pistons they used look up the clearance spec and compare it to your bore size.

I had a very similar problem on a fresh 390 in a '68 AMX I bought years ago. they bored it for cast pistons and put forged pistons in it. needless to say it didn't work at all, correct wall clearance is essential .

One thing is pretty clear, there was an issue here that had nothing to do with break in. if they won't make it right you got hosed.

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

Interesting that the skirt is that bad but the rest of the piston and the rings are ok.

Are you equipped to measure the bore?
                Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• TexasJ10
                  360 AMC
                  • Jan 03, 2002

Originally posted by SJTD
                  Interesting that the skirt is that bad but the rest of the piston and the rings are ok.

Are you equipped to measure the bore?
                  Good point. Maybe it's the piston that is out of specs.
                  * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                  * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                  . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                  * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• 440sixpack
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 21, 2016

The skirt is usually what scuffs, the reason you can buy coated skirts. in this case I doubt it would have made the difference, but I always use them if I have a choice.

Scuffing on the top is usually from heat .

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

Yeahbut then material gets deposited on the bore and the rings and the rest of the piston get mangled.

What's the bore look like?
                      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• gophman
                        232 I6
                        • Mar 05, 2015

Sorry for the late reply.... unfortunately I don't have any bore measuring equipment (I could aquire), the other bores/pistons look fine (aluminum) has damaged the bearing babbit but the journals are unmarked.

Comment

• 440sixpack
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jul 21, 2016

If you're going to find out what happened you'll need to measure the bore and a good piston. it would be best if you knew the clearance specs for the exact pistons you have if possible.

For a quick but not precise check see if you can get a .002 feeler gauge between the skirt of a good piston and the bore that scuffed. also check a good piston and bore for comparison. if it's less than a .002 feeler on a cast piston you might have found the problem, forged pistons will require more clearance.

It sounds like the rest of your engine may be fine with new bearings and a gasket set. if it's just this one hole is tight a new piston and some hone work might be all you need.

You shouldn't have to fix it yourself but under the circumstances I'd be looking at the options.

Comment

• gophman
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 05, 2015

Yeah I am waiting to hear back from s&j but I am weighing up my options at the moment, the pistons are +60 so final bore so depending what I hear back my options so far are:
                            1 repair this motor (could potentially require a sleeve)
                            2 use the known good parts (crank, cam, heads etc) and transfer to the original block (depending on condition of original bore/pistons.)
                            3 reassemble the original motor (valve guide wear) and wait it out and possibly ending up carrying out option 2 anyway.

Comment

• 440sixpack
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jul 21, 2016

Until you find out if the bore is undersized you won't know if it needs a sleeve. maybe it needs opened up.

In any event you're gong to need at least one piston, maybe you can buy a matching single and maybe you can't. if you need a set you can order any size you desire if you're changing blocks.

Comment

• babywag
                                out of order
                                • Jun 08, 2005

I would not transfer any parts, if you're going to redo your engine, just go that route.
                                If they were that careless in providing a quality product, who knows what else they did/did not do?

I'd still push for a replacement, or a full refund, shipping on their dime.
                                Tony
                                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                                X