• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ray VanBuren
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 27, 2009

2014 Grand Wagoneer

The 2014 model year will see the return of the Grand Wagoneer badge to a Jeep.Set to arrive in 2013 it will share its underpinnings with the Dodge Durango, with three rows and seven seats.Likely to be offered with both the Pensatar V6 and the Hemi V8, this model could be the first use of Chrysler’s new 8-speed automatic transmission in a Jeep.
    '79 J-10 360 T-18 D-20 4.10 gears in D44's
  • the original Honcho
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 14, 2005

Nooooooo! Why does it have to be based on the Durango! The Durango traded its pants for a skirt on this last body style, with the independent rear suspension and whatnot.

I just read an article on the 2014 Cherokee (no Grand in that title) which replaces the Liberty. It didnt say what axles or suspension it had, tho
    1980 Jeep J-20
    1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
    1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    1975 Jeep Wagoneer- The Green Bastard, from Parts
    Unknown
    1968 Plymouth Satellite
    1978 Camaro- back in action
    1980 'Vette. Chevette. Please someone buy this

Comment

• El_Diablo
      350 Buick
      • Apr 06, 2009

Originally posted by the original Honcho
      Nooooooo! Why does it have to be based on the Durango! The Durango traded its pants for a skirt on this last body style, with the independent rear suspension and whatnot.

I just read an article on the 2014 Cherokee (no Grand in that title) which replaces the Liberty. It didnt say what axles or suspension it had, tho
      The durango shares its underpinnings with the Grand Cherokee and those do just fine off road for what they are. Our beloved FSJ's weren't considered off road machines when they came out either. Just think of the new G-wag as a high end durango to compete with the luxury brands. Just like it was back in the day.

As far as the cherokee, that will ride on a modified dart chassis.
      1985 Grand Wagoneer-360/727/229/D44/AMC20

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
      2012 Focus
      2000 Camaro
      1995 Mustang
      2009 GSXR-600

Comment

• Jeepguy77
        350 Buick
        • Mar 16, 2008

The new grand cherokees have gone through the rubicon. They had some dents and dings, but they did it. The platform is more than capable, possibly more capable than a stock waggy. Besides jtrucks are cooler everyone has a waggy.
        Pierce,
        77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• Lindel
          Perfesser of Jeepology
          • Jun 15, 2000

Just so long as they don't take styling cues from the new "Cherokee"...
          Jeep Grounds
          RRV Homepage
          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
          1987 Grand Wagoneer
          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
          1999 Wrangler Sport
          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• frank_c
            350 Buick
            • Aug 29, 2005

Originally posted by Lindel
            Yeah. After seeing that, I don't have much hope for a new GW.
            83 Waggy
            87 J20
            99 TJ
            05 Crossfire SRT-6

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

I took a stock wagoneer through a local trail years ago. Pushing and rock stacking kept me from body damage but not from a crushed tail pipe.

I bet one of these new jeep Cherokee's could walk through it.
              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Lindel
                Perfesser of Jeepology
                • Jun 15, 2000

By the time you made it thru, it'd have to walk...ifs if not fully independent!
                Jeep Grounds
                RRV Homepage
                Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                1987 Grand Wagoneer
                AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                1999 Wrangler Sport
                4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• kntemplars
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 06, 2012

Okay here's goes.....

I never thought jeep has ever had an issue with power and capability, my opinion is that lately their issues are more related to class and sensibility. By that I mean, if you are going to build a vehicle that is capable off road as well as comfort on road, take your time and pay attention to the details. That is what brought success to the early wagoneers. Nobody says it has to resemble the old body style but the masses are begging for some Yank to knock Land Rover of it's pedestal. The new Laredo is nice but is BY far nowhere near a Range Rover HSE.

My uneducated run down of the mechanics. Please bare with me. The Hemi is a fabulous power plant and would be perfect for the new jeep. Jeep has always been wise in the ways of suspension, differentials and transfer cases. So if there is a way to finess the rage of the Hemi into a package that marries the savage of the Dana 44s and a beefyT-case but still is practical for my wife to drive GO FOR IT. Please! But for God's sakes have some class and refinement.

The details are things like wind shield wipers and door handles and gadgets. The Bose system was a nice touch but the plastic buttons married to a cheap dash board kills the interior. Why not make room for the 6'5 passenger in the back seat as well as his 3 large suit cases. My point is that if equal attention was give to the small things as they have the Dana 44s and Hemis we (the US) would have a few more Newer Jeeps with foreign plates. Say what you will but that matters.

My parting sentiment is that I would stack my 73 Waggy against any like vehicle of the same era and have no worries at all. I can't say that today if I had a luxury jeep and I want to!!

Oh one last thing... I wonder if the Gand Wagoneers we will start see in adds will be from the Wagon Master?

Comment

• Rande
                    Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                    • Jun 26, 2000

Looks pretty good in that photo.
                    N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
                    1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
                    1966 Mustang
                    1937 IH D2

Comment

• Brizio
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Apr 11, 2008

Originally posted by Lindel
                      X2!
                      brizios.com
                      Small Scale Jeeps
                      Brizios

Comment

• Southern Gorilla
                        327 Rambler
                        • Apr 05, 2010

Originally posted by kntemplars
                        The details are things like wind shield wipers and door handles and gadgets. The Bose system was a nice touch but the plastic buttons married to a cheap dash board kills the interior. Why not make room for the 6'5 passenger in the back seat as well as his 3 large suit cases. My point is that if equal attention was give to the small things as they have the Dana 44s and Hemis we (the US) would have a few more Newer Jeeps with foreign plates. Say what you will but that matters.
                        I am absolutely obsessed with details and couldn't agree more. My bosses at work own various luxury cars, Lexus, Mercedes, and Jaguar. And honestly, the only one I would trade my wife's Hyundai for is the Jaguar. Dear god is that an amazing car. The others fail because of details. My wife's Hyundai has details that far exceed its meager price tag.

Jeep can easily build something to spank Land Rover. They definitely have the mechanicals for it. The SRT-8 proves that. Here's hoping they finally pay attention to what the "Top Gear" blokes have been saying about US cars for all these years.
                        It's not an SUV. It's an SEV: Surface Exploration Vehicle.

'76 Cherokee NT
                        360/T-18

Trailers belong behind trucks, not under them.

Why? Because nobody in the history of 'wheeling has ever said, "good thing I put those smaller tires on my rig."

Comment

• hookedup50
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 07, 2010

The new "CHEROKEE" is Butt UGLY.
                          Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
                          Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
                          Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
                          07 Colorado
                          http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• p@55w0rd
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 09, 2010

Originally posted by frank_c
                            Yeah. After seeing that, I don't have much hope for a new GW.
                            Project: 1979 Wagoneer 360, Turbo 400, Q-Track, and Dana 44's
                            Lovingly refereed to as the "The Wagon"...
                            Daily Driver: 2008 Jeep Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7L, Q-Trac II
                            http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/jeepxk/DSC08388.jpg

Comment

• El_Diablo
                              350 Buick
                              • Apr 06, 2009

Have any of you guys been in the 2013 grand cherokee? The details are there.... they've gone a long way to improve the interior. You still get a less amounts of soft touch materials for the lower trim models but that's to be expected on a vehicle that spans such a large spectrum. Chrysler has come a long way in the past 2-3 years.
                              1985 Grand Wagoneer-360/727/229/D44/AMC20

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
                              2012 Focus
                              2000 Camaro
                              1995 Mustang
                              2009 GSXR-600

Comment

Working...
                              X