• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manhattan
    304 AMC
    • Jul 30, 2000

Calling all Warn Winch Gurus! M8274 to be specific

I need advise on repairing my 8274 - the brake doesn't, well.. brake. Everything works great. It just doesn't hold once I stop pulling.

I think I need to replace the brake - but that's $275. Is there an adjustment?
    Mark
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

The cam on the brake-shaft might be frozen up, or the pads might be worn out.

Tear it down, clean it up, free any rusted parts, and see if anything is broken or excessively worn. You probably don't need the WHOLE assembly.
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Manhattan
      304 AMC
      • Jul 30, 2000

Bob...

Sometimes the winch makes a solid sounding "click, click, click" as if the brake is working. Sometimes there's no clicking. In all cases the brake doesn't hold. Does this tell you anything?

Where are the pads? On the 8274, it looks like the brake arm on exterior does the braking. ???
      Mark

Comment

• Bob Barry
        Jeep Doctor
        • Apr 09, 2000

No, that pawl only allows the ratchet-wheel to turn one way. The actual braking is done by a cam that pulls the outer-disc in against the friction-material, which is attached to that ratchet-wheel. If that shaft is rusted, it won't pull the outer-plate in effectively.

The following link has a lot of helpful information:

Whatever isn't there is in the archives of the Pirate4x4 Bulletin-Board; just do a search for "Warn 8274" and be amazed at what you find.
        1987 J-20
        Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Manhattan
          304 AMC
          • Jul 30, 2000

Originally posted by Bob Barry:
          No, that pawl only allows the ratchet-wheel to turn one way. The actual braking is done by a cam that pulls the outer-disc in against the friction-material, which is attached to that ratchet-wheel. If that shaft is rusted, it won't pull the outer-plate in effectively.

The following link has a lot of helpful information:

Whatever isn't there is in the archives of the Pirate4x4 Bulletin-Board; just do a search for "Warn 8274" and be amazed at what you find.
          Thanks Bob!!!
          Mark

Comment

• timmirvin
            350 Buick
            • Jan 29, 2003

Just taking mine apart and cleaning everything has helped mine several times.....
            \'88 GW...<b>Harley</b><br />Truck Avenger, Performer Intake, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 31x10.50 Goodyear MTR\'s, 15x10 American Racing, Planned: Mossy Oak Camo Clad instead of wood grain!!! Daily Driver<br /><br />\'82 Wag......<b>Sherman</b><br />360/727/NP208/AMC20r/D44f, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 15x10s with 31x10.50s, Homemade 4\" lift, Lincoln Locked Front & Rear...Hunting Vehicle<br /><br />Several Parts Wags<br /><br />Experience is something you don\'t get until right after you need it...

Comment

• timmirvin
              350 Buick
              • Jan 29, 2003

Actually....what I meant to say was.....

Hey buddy, that POS winch is toast, just give it to me, maybe I can use it for parts or something!!!
              \'88 GW...<b>Harley</b><br />Truck Avenger, Performer Intake, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 31x10.50 Goodyear MTR\'s, 15x10 American Racing, Planned: Mossy Oak Camo Clad instead of wood grain!!! Daily Driver<br /><br />\'82 Wag......<b>Sherman</b><br />360/727/NP208/AMC20r/D44f, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 15x10s with 31x10.50s, Homemade 4\" lift, Lincoln Locked Front & Rear...Hunting Vehicle<br /><br />Several Parts Wags<br /><br />Experience is something you don\'t get until right after you need it...

Comment

• Manhattan
                304 AMC
                • Jul 30, 2000

Originally posted by timmirvin:
                Actually....what I meant to say was.....

Hey buddy, that POS winch is toast, just give it to me, maybe I can use it for parts or something!!!
                Wont' work! That's how I got it! A friend had purchased a parts Jeep - a mid 70s CJ. The winch was a dealer installed option "Jeep Specialty Equipment". But, the winch "didn't work". I cleaned it, put a cable on it, new wiring, cleaned the connections and replaced the inside wiring - and POW! It pulls like a Freightliner.

I just have to get it to stop when I'm done pulling...

Thanks for the advise...
                Mark

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

Put a big fat ground and power lead on it. Some have tested out to 10K at Warn. You can't go wrong!!
                  Melford1972 says...
                  I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                  1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra
                  2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                  Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                  X