Congrats! You just won $50k in FSJ dollars. What do you do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Congrats! You just won $50k in FSJ dollars. What do you do with it?

I feel like day dreaming.

You had a long lost SUPER RICH uncle that found out that you like FSJs almost as much as he does. He wants to give you $50k to spend on one FSJ.

Do you spend it one of your current FSJs or do you buy a different one?
    What year/model?
    What engine do you run?
    What trans?
    How do you spend the $50k, generally speaking?
    Paint? Restore it? Mod it?

Some rules to scope our discussion: You have to spend all the money. You are welcome to kick in some of your own money but it has to be money you have right now and your wife/husband would be OK with you spending (no kicking in the $30k your crusty old rig "would sell for" or your kids college money). You can use it to buy tools to do certain jobs (like you get a plasma cutter, 220 outlet, better welder to build a custom bumper=$5k). You can only spend parts and service money on one rig (no "I would buy a beater trail rig for $10k, and $40K for a street rig). Farming out work is perfectly acceptable. Buying a finished rig is perfectly acceptable...

Who's first?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • UnkleMunky
    350 Buick
    • Oct 17, 2000

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
    You can only spend parts and service money on one rig
    Who's first?
    Well, THERE is the problem....only ONE???? Sheesh....

Not going to go all detailed on things, but essentially if I could spend that I would look at buying an '81-83 Cherokee or '80-88 J-truck. Preferred combo would be:

J-truck - short bed, but long would be ok.
    or
    Cherokee - 2dr WT or 4 door

engine: 258 - we just get along better than the V8s!

Tranny: prefer the manual T176 for stock in those years, but would consider swapping in a T18 or something.

T-case - depends....but lots of options for mods.....

Axles...believe it or not, the 2.73s can go well with above stuff.

Would want it as RUST FREE as possible....something I'm not used to!

Have had the work trucks and more than my share of rust.....would like a nice, clean, efficient FSJ in that era.

Tools...yeh....always need more tools. Maybe a nice new bedroom (garage) for the new kid as well, maybe? Is that allowed?

Just basics there above.....but since I'm first, do I get to live the dream???

One of those FC van prototypes would be lovely though too....
    Michael (UnkleMunky)
    '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
    '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
    Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• Crankyolman
      350 Buick
      • Sep 27, 2017

I actually have what I call an "Icon list" which is a list of what I will have Icon do to my truck after I win the lottery, which is going to finally happen any day now

I like that I have a '72 J4500, I like the Kaiser era dash, tailgate, tail lights and of course grill and everything else about the looks of the kaiser era trucks Vs AMC era. I would have the rust repaired, suspension redone, disk brakes, maybe remote door unlock and those power windows that use the stock window roller handles instead of buttons ( I think those are so cool )

I think I might upgrade the 360 a bit or maybe swap in an LS instead and of course a new paint job.
      '72 J4500

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
        304 AMC
        • May 01, 2004

Well apparently I would spend it on paint and body, along with custom rear flares, a customized 69 dash install and vintage air.. cause i did. Maybe enough left over for the ABS interior panels and double-DIN radio..

I am pretty sure the J-20 axles, built by ECG, and other stuff put me over the $50k, but I try not to think about it and the wife and I have an “understanding” not to talk about..

Blew it all, now have to rebuild the bank account so I can do it all again on interior...and an upgraded drivetrain from the 15-year old upgrade.. It just never ends. 8v)

So where do i reach this uncle of mine? I need to get the interior going.
        One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
        http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
        95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
        50 CJ3A
        77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• SJTD
          304 AMC
          • Apr 26, 2012

Pretty much what I've got going now.

Four doors, early dash, aftermarket A/C, 3/4 ton Ford drive train for the high pinion spring over front, shackle reversal in front.

Only thing different would be the new Cummins 4 cylinder and a six speed stick.

A tube bender would come in handy. I've got TIG. I just worried it'll go up in flames some day since it's about fifty years old.
          Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
            350 Buick
            • Jul 04, 2006

gas
            Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
            But it's free"
            Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment

• miracleed
              232 I6
              • Feb 19, 2019

50k that i was required to spend on the jeep...

i'd keep the rig i have. but i'd pour almost everything into having the body done proper; acid bath, professional restoration, sick paint job, two coats of clear etc etc.

that's kind of the only 'want' i have that i can't justify doing from an economic standpoint.

then i'd install the carpet i've already purchased, upgrade the audio system, install the seats that are currently out to the upholsterer. put in the nice panels i got from Men in Black, replace the tailgate I got from Adventure_Wagon88.

my upgrade plan includes:
              keeping the 360 but converting to hei/efi
              3" exhaust
              putting in a new gas tank
              new leaf springs
              all new bushings through out
              replacing the seat belts

most of the stuff i'm looking to do i'm confident i can do on my own (with the help of this forum and the very helpful folks i've talked to through it) and i figure a bit at a time over the next 3-5 years i'll complete my list. other than the acid bath dream i had a pretty good idea what i was getting into when i bought it and was looking forward to the project. i'm still pleased with where i am at.

maybe with part of the 50k i'd send the wife and the kids out of town for a couple weeks, hire a helper for her, take some time off of work and actually have the time to do all the stuff i've been prepping to do for like six months.

anything left over, as L&L said, i'd probably save for gas money.
              '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by UnkleMunky
                Well, THERE is the problem....only ONE???? Sheesh....
                Would want it as RUST FREE as possible....something I'm not used to!
                Just basics there above.....but since I'm first, do I get to live the dream???
                One of those FC van prototypes would be lovely though too....
                I hear you!!! I have been pondering all day and am not sure I can decide on 1 either. Rust free? you may exhaust your budget there, alone! LOL! Sort of (live the dream)! Since you answered first, you get a cookie AND a gold star!
                Originally posted by Crankyolman
                I actually have what I call an "Icon list" ...
                HAHA! My wife makes fun of me because I have a wrecking yard list for whenever a FSJ shows up in a wrecking yard (which they almost never do down here), an Icon list would be much more dreamy! I agree, your year/model is pretty fantastic and is on my short list of wants.
                Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
                Well apparently I would spend it on paint and body, along with custom rear flares, a customized 69 dash install and vintage air.. cause i did...
                Blew it all, now have to rebuild the bank account so I can do it all again on interior...and an upgraded drivetrain from the 15-year old upgrade...
                So where do I reach this uncle of mine? I need to get the interior going.
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Your post is amazing!!!
                Originally posted by SJTD
                Pretty much what I've got going now.
                Four doors, early dash, aftermarket A/C, 3/4 ton Ford drive train for the high pinion spring over front, shackle reversal in front.
                Only thing different would be the new Cummins 4 cylinder and a six speed stick.
                A tube bender would come in handy. I've got TIG. I just worried it'll go up in flames some day since it's about fifty years old.
                That sounds great, except, I think you only spent about $25k....
                Originally posted by Locked and Loaded
                gas
                BBWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Would be nice to have a month of free gas, eh? LOL!!!!
                Originally posted by miracleed
                i'd keep the rig i have. but i'd pour almost everything into having the body done proper; acid bath, professional restoration, sick paint job, two coats of clear etc etc.

that's kind of the only 'want' i have that i can't justify doing from an economic standpoint.

then i'd install the carpet i've already purchased, upgrade the audio system, install the seats that are currently out to the upholsterer. put in the nice panels i got from Men in Black, replace the tailgate I got from Adventure_Wagon88.

my upgrade plan includes:
                keeping the 360 but converting to hei/efi
                3" exhaust
                putting in a new gas tank
                new leaf springs
                all new bushings through out
                replacing the seat belts

most of the stuff i'm looking to do i'm confident i can do on my own (with the help of this forum and the very helpful folks i've talked to through it) and i figure a bit at a time over the next 3-5 years i'll complete my list. other than the acid bath dream i had a pretty good idea what i was getting into when i bought it and was looking forward to the project. i'm still pleased with where i am at.

maybe with part of the 50k i'd send the wife and the kids out of town for a couple weeks, hire a helper for her, take some time off of work and actually have the time to do all the stuff i've been prepping to do for like six months.

anything left over, as L&L said, i'd probably save for gas money.
                That sounds amazing! AND fun!!! I like the idea of sending the wife and midgets on a trip, too.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• chubbinius
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 31, 2018

This is a fun question to think on...but a tough one to answer for only one.

-Well... I'd love to find another 1970 1414X and dump the money into getting it gussied up professionally (while watching each step so I can learn). Extra money would go towards the tools and gear so I could take what I learned and do it again on another one or two.

-What I would probably do would be to spend it on the 1414X I have to get it: completely rewired and fused up so there would be less wonder on the electrics, get the paint redone in a really nice and really durable two tone- arctic white over avocado mist (with multiple clears too), find and restore a console for it, get some proper interior door panels, add in a roof rack, and new shoes for it. (Any leftover cash would be used ideally stocking up a storage locker with pieces/parts to have for it in the future and maybe adding a few extra bits for future "purchases").
                  1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                  -Dauntless 350 V8
                  -D27 front/D44 rear
                  2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• SJTD
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 26, 2012

That sounds great, except, I think you only spent about $25k....
                    Maybe, I hope i've not spent that much.

Forgot the upholstery still has to be to be done and some drive shafts. A couple selectable lockers. Carpeting.

Are we there yet? Doesn't my time count for anything? I've spent a lot of time thinking about it instead of doing anything.
                    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

Well, I just got word. No more nickle and dime and $50k reno's for me.

I just inherited 28 million.

When I get the cash I'll buy each of you your $50k dream SJ.
                      Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• miracleed
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 19, 2019

Yay us! I'll be waiting patiently at the end of my driveway for the delivery.
                        '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Woo Hoo! Congratulations Uncle SJTD!!!
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Anyone else wanna day dream a little?

Here's what I'd do (feel free to dispute my numbers):

I'd buy a 2010'ish Ram 2wd 2500 with a Hemi and an auto that's salvaged. Probably a hail damaged truck, something like that, with less than 100k miles. Figure ~$4k.

Then I'd buy an early Gladiator. All I really want is straight cab/doors and front clip. So figure another ~$3k.

Then I would mount the Gladiator cab/front clip on the 2010'ish Ram chassis. ~$3k (I need a plasma cutter and a good welder, mine sucks plus supplies). Brakes, suspension, and steering all stay stock ram.

I would build a cool flat bed for it. ~$1k.

Rear axle gets gears and a locker ~$1.5k

I would farm out the interior to a shop. ~$2k. Mostly stock looking interior but cold A/C, seat heaters, a nice sounding (but not huge) stereo, and TONS of sound deadener. HAS to be super quiet inside for long road trips.

Really, it would look VERY similar to 63J200atLSU's truck (See Here) but with a flat bed and probably yellow.

All the rest would go into the engine (about $14k?). I have always wanted a daily driver with a roots blower poking out the hood. Indy makes an intake to mount a 8-71 on a Gen 3 Hemi so that's what I would do. I think a FSJ hood would look AMAZING with a roots blowing out the hood. It would still be EFI and distributorless but a raw/cast aluminum blower would be amazing.

The other dream rig?
                            My rig but built in a way to answer this question:
                            What would it look like if Jeep entered NASCAR in 1979?
                            So, gutted interior, functional Quadratrac (that might take the whole $50k in itself ), nasty carb'ed/fat cam'ed 401, 70's NASCAR inspired graphics, big ol'fat NASCAR meats all the way around, probably coils and 4 links in the front/back? etc.
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• UnkleMunky
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 17, 2000

The other dream rig?
                              My rig but...
                              At least you didn't say you were going to hotrod a Geo Metro with FSJ parts or something.....whew!

Though I always got a kick out of seeing those people with Dodge Omni's with turbos that could leave a Mustang in the dust! Gotta love a sleeper!

One of the ideal vehicles to me would simply be....a full size 4WD (not AWD) Van. Aftermarket conversions were one thing, but Chevy made the AWD Express vans....and also made some of those Express's with doors on both sides. Swap in a good part time 4WD unit in place of the AWD unit and that could be sweet. I know the Astro/Safari folks have done a number of different conversions of their cases as well. Have seen a lot of camper/etc. mods of the Ram ProMasters and Ford Transits, but would gather there's some 4wd conversions of those out there. With 50k there could be some options....
                              Michael (UnkleMunky)
                              '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
                              '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
                              Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

Working...
                              X