• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

Do I have a pilot bushing or not?

Hoping someone can confirm for me based on the pictures below. This engine was in front of an auto trans. What I thought was the bushing won't budge, but everything I've read says the bushing should be flush with the end of the crank hole. What I thought was the bushing is about 3/4" down the hole, there is a gap behind it also.

There's what appears to be a bushing down inside there, I'm looking at the center ring. I thought this was supposed to sit flush.

This pic shows how deep it sits currently. Am I correct in assuming this is the pilot bushing? Sorry for the dumb question, but I feel like I'm just confusing myself the more I try to figure this out
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

asked and answered

I'm an idiot. Yes that's the pilot bushing and I just got it out. I was using the tool incorrectly. I hang my head in shame now...
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• REDONE
      304 AMC
      • Aug 19, 2002

Originally posted by 44BZ
      I hang my head in shame now...
      We reserve shame for know-it-alls, not people that ask questions. Shame on you for not knowing that already!
      2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
      79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
      304/T18/D20/D44s
      What's been did:
      Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
      MSD Streetfire based TFI
      Custom-hack gauge cluster
      Razor swap
      Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
      2 knob tape deck!
      3" homebuilt lift
      Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• Murphy
        350 Buick
        • Jul 15, 2007

Ok, I'll be the pin cushion.
        I thought pilot bearings were normally for the nipple of a std tranny shaft?

Auto tranny conversion? Why worry about it?
        Wife not driving you crazy enough?
        Last edited by Murphy; 06-23-2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

That's a manual trans pilot bushing, not to be confused with TH400 sleeve, which just BARELY can be seen when installed. Quick test if you're hooking up to a 727. Try the torque converter in the crank hole. If it binds and won't go all the way in, then the sleeve is in there. Barring that, a micrometer would tell you if it's big enough opening to get it in there.
          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• 44BZ
            304 AMC
            • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Carnuck
            That's a manual trans pilot bushing, not to be confused with TH400 sleeve, which just BARELY can be seen when installed. Quick test if you're hooking up to a 727. Try the torque converter in the crank hole. If it binds and won't go all the way in, then the sleeve is in there. Barring that, a micrometer would tell you if it's big enough opening to get it in there.
            This motor HAD a TH400 behind it and I'm putting it in front of a T18. That bushing was in there with the TH400. It's not big enough for the shaft of the T18 so it had to come out, I checked. Tomorrow I will pull the bushing out of the old motor and hopefully it's in good enough shape to reuse because the AMC 327/T18 pilot bushing is apparently a non standard size. I can't find one...

Comment

• Bill Moore
              304 AMC
              • May 22, 2006

This motor HAD a TH400 behind it and I'm putting it in front of a T18. That bushing was in there with the TH400. It's not big enough for the shaft of the T18 so it had to come out, I checked. Tomorrow I will pull the bushing out of the old motor and hopefully it's in good enough shape to reuse because the AMC 327/T18 pilot bushing is apparently a non standard size. I can't find one...
              I bought one from Novak a few years ago, but I dont think they listed it on their site, call them.
              DDs
              67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
              78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

Early TH400s (nailhead) with the bell adapter ring had a 1/2" or so crank spacer behind the flexplate made to fit the pilot hole. No sleeve used. AMC pattern cast TH400s use the sleeve. Approx '75 through '79.
                Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• 44BZ
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Bill Moore
                  I bought one from Novak a few years ago, but I dont think they listed it on their site, call them.
                  Thanks, I'll give them call

Comment

• 44BZ
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 10, 2009

I got the original bushing out. For future reference and for other 327 owners who might want to know, the 327/T18 pilot bushing is 1.09(OD) x 0.787(ID) x 1.125(L).

Comment

• 44BZ
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 10, 2009

Finally called Novak this morning. They had the correct pilot bushing on the shelf and will ship it out today! I'm so excited as this was the one thing preventing me from putting the trans back in. One step closer!

Comment

• J20 project
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 27, 2000

Hmm, I got mine from NAPA..Nothing really special about it. When all else fails, sometimes going to the older store in town works..sometimes not. We don't really know how fast stuff is becoming obsolete w/ these rigs.
                        Back to some of the other related comments, a decent vernier caliper and or michrometers are becoming a pretty important tool for most tool boxes. Most bearing supply companies can get any type of oil impregnated bronze bushing by size.

J20 project
                        BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                        775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• 44BZ
                          304 AMC
                          • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by J20 project
                          Hmm, I got mine from NAPA..Nothing really special about it. When all else fails, sometimes going to the older store in town works..sometimes not. We don't really know how fast stuff is becoming obsolete w/ these rigs.
                          Back to some of the other related comments, a decent vernier caliper and or michrometers are becoming a pretty important tool for most tool boxes. Most bearing supply companies can get any type of oil impregnated bronze bushing by size.

J20 project
                          I've got a digital caliper and had exact measurements at the ready. Talked to the guys at my local, independtly owned parts store (still look up parts by catalog) and they couldn't find one. They have a machine shop and I was hoping they's offer to make me a bushing, but weren't interested. No luck with Oreilly's or NAPA. Called Advance Adaptors and they were thrown by the size I needed; couldn't offer any assistance. Called Novak and after some digging with my measurements they found one. So, I tried and in the end Novak was the only place to come through

Comment

• Gambler68
                            Rabble Rouser
                            • Feb 29, 2004

Glad you got it figured out. At this point, I'd just buy whatever they had left on the shelf
                            1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                            1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• 44BZ
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Gambler68
                              Glad you got it figured out. At this point, I'd just buy whatever they had left on the shelf
                              What seems strange is that it's the Jeep T18 with the odd size, nothing was big enough The 1.09OD is a common GM size I'm told, but I couldn't find anything bigger than .75ID, which I tried and wouldn't fit over the shaft. I would have thought the T18 size would be more common than the size needed to fit the 327 crank...

Comment

Working...
                              X