• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leostevo
    258 I6
    • Jan 27, 2009

TF 727 Rebuild Video & question

Well, I was wondering around on youtube last night and came across a series of videos showing the rebuild of the Torquflite 727 transmission. Since so many of us use these, then I figured I would share.

Here is the first video and you can follow the rest through the suggested video list: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJhCBZ1wMY

The list is incomplete but the last uploaded video is fairly recent. Hopefully they are still editing and will complete the series. Also, the rebuild is for a high horsepower (~600hp) 2wd application. The guy does a good job of explaining the parts, techniques and key inspection points.

Now for the question: I have a spare TF727 in my backyard and it has been sitting partially covered for about a year. Have I ruined the core components by now or should I be able to rebuild it without significant issue. I did not drain the fluid or remove the torque converter but the tailshaft is exposed. I haven't dug it out to inspect because I am fearful that it will be covered in rust. If the tailshaft has surface rust would there be any issue with just knocking the rust off with emery cloth and polishing it to a clean finish?

I plan to buy a new torque converter (possibly high stall) and master overhaul kit.

-Steve

ps - I know the transmission our trucks use is actually a torque command 727 but the rebuild parts and method is the same. This is also for a newer than '71 design.
    1990 Grand Wagoneer "Daddy Wagon"

AMC360/TF727/NP229

Edelbrock Performer Intake, Headers, Cam, 1406 Carb, Mallory HEI. No smog. Rusty's 4" all springs. '89 GW wheels, custom painted and wrapped in Maxxis Big Horn 31x10.50, dual 2.25" exhaust outside the frame rails.
  • FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

Good videos. I hope they continue the series, too!
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• amcpsycho2
      258 I6
      • Mar 06, 2010

LEOSTEVO,
      Your core tranny should be OK,as long as it's not been sitting out the for 10-15 years.If you've had the convertor in the bell housing,covering the front pump shaft,that's the most critical part.If it's sitting with no dipstick and dipstick tube,at least go and drain any water out of it.The tail shaft won't be a terrible problem,as long as the rust is minor and it's not flaking/scaling off metal or pitted severly.Rust should probably buff off with a scotchbrite wheel.It wouldn't hurt to remove any accumulated water from it,maybe pour a little tranny fluid in it just to coat any raw metal.Then cover/seal it up till you can get to rebuild it.
      You say psycho like it's a BAD thing!

Some days it's just not worth chewing thru the restraints!

Comment

Working...
      X