• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Bank Error in your favor, collect $500

OK, you get to dream a little.

You come across $500 and you get to spend it on your FSJ. What do you do with it? Fix something that has been bugging you? Upgrade something you've been wanting to upgrade? Be specific!

I picked $500 because its enough to do some good work (like a minor lift, or new carpet/sound deadener) but not enough to make your rig completely different (like a diesel or a 4 speed auto swap).

(yes, I did a poor quality photoshop on the card)

Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • Black Dynamite
    232 I6
    • Feb 04, 2016

Would have been nice to have earlier today to pay for half of the new shoes I just put on
    image by printstron, on Flickr

But I would probably go out and get a nice Safari Rack or LED headlights

Comment

• MadMax78
      258 I6
      • May 26, 2010

I would put it towards a rear bumper with swing out tire carrier.
      MadMax78
      78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• letank
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jun 03, 2002

Hummm, $500 pays for gas from SF to Moab and back, and the oil...

At least 3 tires...

1/2 of A/C refurbishing... but I already have 1/2 the parts... or almost...

New stock height springs ...
        Michel
        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• yossarian19
          258 I6
          • Nov 13, 2016

Well, I could get the head work done to reassemble the motor..
          Otherwise, if I found a buyer for the original trans & tcase I bet I could get an aw4 / 241 swapped under the rig.
          Or I could get TBI working.
          Or a dual exhaust put on.
          or a new carpet + sound deadener.
          Or hydroboost & replace all the rubber brake lines & replace the brake fluid (this one is actually a lot cheaper)
          Or a re-wire kit and maybe enough in there to pay somebody else to do it, or get some help.
          Lots of things I could come up with at $500.

Comment

• mattparliament
            327 Rambler
            • May 13, 2004

lunchbox locker for the rear!
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            1976 Cherokee 401 Quadratrac
            4" Rusty's Spring lift 31" tires
            All MSD ignition system
            EZ EFI status: Running Smooth!
            1999 Dakota Seats
            2000Tahoe Console
            Powertrax No-slip lunchbox rear locker
            Amp meter delete
            Two Wire 94Amp Alternator upgrade

Comment

• acct21
              327 Rambler
              • May 20, 2014

Ugh. New gears. Easy call.

Now I just need $2000 worth of my free time to set them both up...
              1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

These are all fantastic ideas!

For me it would be all new door handle, lock cylinder, roof rack, and windshield gaskets, window channels and scrapers, and a headliner. My son really wants me to put a Radio in it but I'm not ready, yet: I need to fix all the rattles and whistling sounds first. Then Radio/Stereo, then exhaust.

Hey letank, How much do you have in your A/C refurbishing so fat (cost wise) if you don't mind me asking? After I fix my gauges (hopefully this weekend), I plan to fix my cruise control, then will head to fixing my A/C. I have no idea why it is not working yet but am wondering how up-hill a battle with a FSJ A/C can be...

Black Dynamite, you Wago's stance in FANTASTIC! is that stock suspension or are you lifted a little? What size are your new tires?

MadMax78, do you know where to get one or would you have it made? I've been thinking about getting one, too but I don't know how much they go for and I don't want to spend $1k for a bumper to be made.

yossarian19, I think I am kind of with you; lots of cheaper jobs rather than one big one.

mattparliament, I assume you would put this in the back? is your front axle open, too?

acct21, would you go up or down?
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• ShagWagon
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 10, 2016

$500 should get all your doors/windows fixed, leakproof, and Serhills kit for the tailgate with the keychain remote. If you do the work.

Once your all sealed up then can get some AC.
                  87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• deckroid
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 05, 2016

I would get that sweet roof rack I saw on Craigslist with alder wood 1x3s for a base. Then I would use the leftover to build that kickass, cheap roof tent with collapsing tent poles a tarp and a sack of bungie balls. (Yeah, I said it... bungie balls!)

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by ShagWagon
                      ... Serhills kit for the tailgate with the keychain remote. If you do the work.
                      Serhills kit? Link? My back window works well but a keychain remote would be pretty sweet!
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                        Serhills kit? Link? My back window works well but a keychain remote would be pretty sweet!
                        just my .02 if you want keyfob tailgate window just get a keyless entry with aux. input and add inexpensive window up/down module.

Did it on my '88 also added 2nd module to control front windows.
                        Nice to be able let all heat out before getting in the oven in summer.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Don S
                          • Feb 06, 2002

Really some good ideas...But first...

I'd first notify the bank of the error...
                          Then go wash and polish my sweetheart! And perhaps the Jeep also...

Have a cool one.. Don S..
                          Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                          It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                          ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• Black Dynamite
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 04, 2016

Black Dynamite, you Wago's stance in FANTASTIC! is that stock suspension or are you lifted a little? What size are your new tires?

Lift is a 3" Rough Country. Installed by the previous owner. New tires are Toyo Open Country's 31x10.5x15.

I think I want to change my windfall spendings to A/C repair also. It's going to be hot soon. I think most of mine would just go into labor troubleshooting as I'm sure its just a faulty connection somewhere.

Comment

• letank
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jun 03, 2002

These are all fantastic ideas!

Hey letank, How much do you have in your A/C refurbishing so fat (cost wise) if you don't mind me asking? After I fix my gauges (hopefully this weekend), I plan to fix my cruise control, then will head to fixing my A/C. I have no idea why it is not working yet but am wondering how up-hill a battle with a FSJ A/C can be...
                              Ah, Ah, Ah, nothing yet, it is all refs number on paper. I was eager to follow Tony suggestion on getting a vintage air, but the VA is not a clean fit.
                              So my plan is to buy the mastercool tool to do all the ferrules .... for the hoses, and probably to buy a new condenser, and dryer, the headache is that the radiator needs to be removed to change the condenser, and I do not want to fiddle with coolant, because then, I may as well redo the seals on the intake manifold... I bought a good sanden 709... and need to find the matching ferrules... what a pain. Probably will go R12. I installed AC on the honda but retrofitted to R134 and it is not that great...

As for the uphill battle, it depends if your system is holding up vacuum, you will probably have to flush and buy a clean thermostatic valve, the one by the evaporator... BUt if you can hold vacuum for 30mins, I would go R12, NOT working can be many things... find the leak(s)

As for bumper, troll CL, sometimes you can be lucky... $50 for mine

Last edited by letank; 04-11-2017, 10:28 PM.
                              Michel
                              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X