• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madduck
    258 I6
    • Jul 19, 2005

AWD conversion questions

BC409's thread about QT amendments got me to thinking...yep, this is scary.

once my cherokee arrived from GA, to AZ, i saw that it is a bit rougher than i thought it was going to be. it's going to take more time and money to get it running than originally planned. so, with this known, now, i thought what else could i do that would be an "all in" build? even if it takes more time, and a lil more money, i'm ok as long as when it's done...it's "done". (although i do know that jeeps are NEVER done.)

i plan on having a new suspension put under the SJ. i'll have a local guy weld up a coil suspension. he's done a few others on FSJ's, if i'm not mistaken.

i was debating between an LS or diesel swap, decided i'd go for the LS. i've got much more heart than skill, i think i can do the LS. the diesel, maybe, maybe not. reading BC's thread and learning about the rarity of QT parts i began to wonder if there is another option for running gear over trying to keep a parts store of QT parts on hand. i'm sure there is, i just dont know what it is. is there a "common" swap of drivetrains into FSJ's? esp something that could be run as a full time all wheel drive.

thanks guys(and any gals who may be here)
  • yossarian19
    258 I6
    • Nov 13, 2016

The LS swap is far and away the most common. I haven't done one in an FSJ but it really wasn't hard to get it working in my other truck.
    The LS platform has all of the parts support you could ever ask for.
    Get yourself the complete drivetrain from an AWD Tahoe or Suburban (or truck? did they do AWD pickups?) and you are good to go.
    Diesel is great but sometimes you'll want more than 200 horsepower. Even with gobs of torque making good power from idle to redline, 200 horsepower isn't a ton when the pedal is to the floor.

Comment

• Madduck
      258 I6
      • Jul 19, 2005

yeah, and as much as i'm NOT a chevy guy, it seems the LS swap is just the most friendly way to go.

i've an '06 LJ that i'll be using to off-road with so, being honest, i dont see the SJ doing much more than exploring dirt roads in northern az. having a highway friendly platform will be much more beneficial.

i'd prefer a HEMI, keeping with the mopar theme, but this doesnt seem to be a common swap. any ideas why?

Comment

I've seen quite a few Hemi swaps, actually. Not nearly the number as LS swaps, but if I had to guess, I'd say that's simply due to the raw number of LS based engines available. GM has been using LS based engines since 1995, while the Hemi didn't start production until 2003 in their trucks, and 2005 in cars. A full decade of production later, essentially. Combine that with the 10x or so larger market share GM enjoys, and there are simply a LOT more LS engines to play with.
        1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Madduck
          258 I6
          • Jul 19, 2005

you have the same assumption as i, raw numbers. both in units and time.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a totaled Ram 1500 and just done a chassis swap. You get 4 wheel discs, 6 speed auto, hemi, ABS, OBD2, etc. I think it would be easier to fit a Cherokee body on a Ram Chassis than to piece meal all the bits and pieces onto a FSJ chassis. The amount of money it cost me to rebuild my 401 and add EFI would have almost bought a hail totaled Hemi Ram; and that is just the the engine. I would love a 4 speed auto and better xfer case. The adapters alone to get a 4 speed behind an AMC V8 and in front of a QT is another $1000. The cost to have that guy weld up a 4 link/coil front suspension would also buy a totaled Ram (with coil springs).
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
              258 I6
              • Dec 17, 2018

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a totaled Ram 1500 and just done a chassis swap. You get 4 wheel discs, 6 speed auto, hemi, ABS, OBD2, etc. I think it would be easier to fit a Cherokee body on a Ram Chassis than to piece meal all the bits and pieces onto a FSJ chassis. The amount of money it cost me to rebuild my 401 and add EFI would have almost bought a hail totaled Hemi Ram; and that is just the the engine. I would love a 4 speed auto and better xfer case. The adapters alone to get a 4 speed behind an AMC V8 and in front of a QT is another $1000. The cost to have that guy weld up a 4 link/coil front suspension would also buy a totaled Ram (with coil springs).
              Oh sure Marc you tell me this now! After I already bought and tore down the 401 for my rig. JK I would have done the 401 anyway i am a sucker for driving nostalgia.

I agree though putting a FSJ on the Hemi truck frame would probably be a good way to go. It would give you a lot of modern things rather then trying to put modern things on the FSJ.

Same statement for the LS over the Hemi (I also prefer the Hemi) but shear numbers and 10 years of aftermarket before the Hemi showed up really makes it hard on the budget when deciding on the which one to go for.
              Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
              Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
              PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
              "Soon" is a relative term.
              Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

Working...
              X