• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coreylively
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 06, 2014

Lift/Tire combination

Hi. Im new to the forum and a recent FSJ owner as well. I have a 1988 Grand Wagoneer that i bought and it came with a previously installed 4 inch bds lift with matching shocks. It has stock wheels with 33x12.50 15 mud terrains on it and they rub bad against the leaf springs turning the wheels. Ive done a bit of research and have came up with what I think to be conflicting information. BDS's site says that with their lift and a 15x8 with 3.5 inch backspace you can fit a 33x12.50 but seeing the fitment issues Im having Im inclined to disagree. I would like to be able to just buy new wheels and it work, but I dont think that 1/8" of backspace is going to make that much of a difference. Ive read that factory backspace is 3 and 5/8" so 3.5" would only move the wheel away from the spring 1/8th of an inch. I dont think that would be enough to make a difference. I hate to say it but I think the correct thing is to buy new tires, and 31x10.50 at that. I considered 33X10.50 but I still think they would hit the springs. Even in the back the tires are really close to the springs. Its only up and down back there of course but even so its enough to make you leary when you look at them. Any thoughts guys/girls? Thanks so much in advance.
    88 Grand Wagoneer 360/727, 4 inch BDS lift, 33x12.50/15
  • Heimeken
    304 AMC
    • Nov 29, 2000

There is a stop bolt on the dana 44 knuckle that you can loosen to limit the turning radius. Not the best fix but will stop the rubbing.
    '85 Grand Wagoneer "Caterpillar"
    401, NV4500, 3/4 ton gear

'79 Cherokee "The Sandgorgon"
    One Tons, SOA,T18 on 40's

78 J10 "Imoteb"
    J20 running gear and axles

Comment

• coreylively
      230 Tornado
      • Nov 06, 2014

Thanks I'll look for that. I actually stumbled onto a piece of information on BJ's offroad that I think addresses my problem. I was looking at their page for their 4" lift kit to see if there were any addtional notes as opposed to what BDS listed for theirs. They are both 4" spring lifts so I figured the information would translate. It said where mine is a narrow track set up being an 84-91 grand wagoneer that I would only clear a 31x10.50 which makes a lot of sense to me. Their fitment listing was a lot more detailed that what BDS listed. I wish taht manufacturer would have been as thorough as BJ's. It would have saved me a lot of time spent researching this issue.
      88 Grand Wagoneer 360/727, 4 inch BDS lift, 33x12.50/15

Comment

• Sambo
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Sep 25, 2001

Or order a set of 2.5" backspace wheels and massage the fenders a bit
        77 chero DEAD.
        84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• DarkMonohue
          Shakes hands with danger
          • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by coreylively
          Ive read that factory backspace is 3 and 5/8" ...Any thoughts guys/girls?
          Yeah, absolutely. First, unbolt a wheel and verify your existing backspacing. Someone else may have posted the wrong data. I've never done it, of course - but I've heard it happens from time to time.

If you're going to plan or make changes, you need to know what you're starting with.
          '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
          Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
          High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

Working...
          X