• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 88GW
    258 I6
    • Nov 21, 2000

Long Term Report on TPIGuys Fuel Injection

When I first opened the box I knew I was dealing with a professional. Everything was labeled, all wires were placed in high temp flexible loom, all wires soldered and heat shrank etc. You get the idea PROFESSIONAL! Install was very simple and straightforward, took me eight hours with breaks for food and drinks. First time start up went well, but I had some pre-existing faults with my ignition system that were magnified when I installed the TBI system. It took us a while to figure out what it was but it was nothing to do with the system. Periodic miss at #1 cylinder, couldn't get timing light to fire all the time, faulty brand new plug I installed. Replace plug, no problem. Two burnt spark plug wires and problem with mount on TFI upgrade.

TBI performance etc. If you don't have one on your Jeep now you will want to save up for a system. My Jeep has a somewhat radical cam listed at .488 lift intake and exhaust at 218. I was getting 11 mpg on the highway and somewhere between 5-8 mpg in the city. On the highway I consitently get 15 mpg, don't have to worry about ping at all, I run 87 octane cheap gas instead of 93 octane. I have found the Jeep has a much broader power band than before and sshe has nor problem blasting from 60 mph to 80-90 mph with ease. I know they are not race trucks but trust me it was nice to see the improvement. City driving mileage has increased to a steady 11 mpg and there are no stumbles or hesitations associated with carbs.

Off-Roading Review- Well I had some time to take her out and boy it was amazing. On inclines I did not have to worry about the carb loading up or stalling, she just sits and idles. I was so impressed I sat and idled for a few minutes almost vertical in the name of science. We did some deep water crossings over the rocker panels and to the middle of the door and no problems. Throttle response is excellent, no worries about stalling or flooding, truly awesome. Mileage was incredible as well. I burned about half as much fuel as I normal would have in the same trip.

Customer Service- One thing I can say is John Wilson (TPIGuy) stands behind his product 110% I cannot say enough good about how much help he has provided me and the knowledge he has of this system. I have used my laptop to provide him with info on how the Jeep is running, he interprets the info and burns a chip based on this. I wait a week and I reinstall the new chip and am always surprised to see how much better it runs. I am always sure that this is as good as it can run and John will tweak a value here and there and it is a noticeable difference. For those who can not wait for the chip to be mailed to you, you can choose the option I did. I borrowed(deposit down)on an EPROM programmer and eraser from John. He now e-mails me changes and I burn the chips at home and don't have to wait for the pony express. My cam is one of the more radical ones John has dealt with and it has taken a little longer to fine tune, but we are 99% there. As far as stock cams are concerned John has a chip that is fine tuned for a stock 360 and will work well with minor adjustment due to engine mileage or abuse. When done with my truck, he will have an awesome chip for higher lift cams similar to mine.

If you can't tell already, I am totally happy, satisfied and feel TPIGuys product and service are second to none. If you think Holley or anyone else will work with you like he did, YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!!

Please respond I would love to hear from you guys.
    SOLD the 88GW and replaced with an Expedition. Still love JEEPS and will get another soon.

Great review....I think this is in the future for me...

I have some time ahead of me...but will be looking forward to this ...

You said everything I needed to hear in regards to inclines, mpg and fording the waters...

I'm sold, but need other stuff first
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Rolling$Pit
      232 I6
      • Jul 02, 2001

I've got my system but am lacking the time to get it on. Feel like driving down from Albany and giving me a hand?

BTW, where did you mount the computer?
      There goes baby\'s college fund

Comment

• Gladi8r
        304 AMC
        • Jun 20, 2000

I have had some serious thoughts on this kit also. Glad to hear that it runs so well. Just curious, what was the cost of the kit??
        DON <br /><a href=\"http://www.Gladi8r.com\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Website</b></a><br /><br />1988 GW 360<br />Edelbrock Intake & 1406<br />TF727/Dana 300<br /><br />1971 J-4500,Rhino Grille<br />A work in progress <br />Soon to be:<br />500 Caddy |Th400 | 205<br />DANA 44/60 (3:73)<br /><br /><b>\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little<br />temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\" </b> Ben Franklin

Comment

• RustyJeep
          304 AMC
          • Apr 09, 2000

When I was serious about buying the TPIGuy kit, he quoted me 750 or so...but that was without the speed sensor. I was a week away from sending him the $$ when I got an awesome deal on a Projection kit. It was cheaper than evenr a new carb was. If all else fails, I'll ut the P-jection on my Grand Prix, and get a TPIGUY kit later...we'll see.
          -Rustyjeep-
          aka Ben Mitchell
          '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

• 88GW
            258 I6
            • Nov 21, 2000

I mounted the computer under the AC vents on the passenger side. The cost of the system when I purchased it was $800.00. This includes chip burning and ONE YEAR WARRANTY ON PARTS ETC. One benefit I see to this system is that I can go to a junkyard and buy used parts if something goes wrong with a part. Try to find a holley system in the junkyard.
            SOLD the 88GW and replaced with an Expedition. Still love JEEPS and will get another soon.

Comment

• tuckers89GW
              304 AMC
              • Oct 17, 2000

I would love to install one on mine, have to start saving up I guess.

Comment

• Whb
                232 I6
                • Mar 18, 2002

I wonder if there is any chance that this would pass a California emissions test? The emissions testing people here seem to have a negative attitude about engine modifications, even if it reduces emissions.

--Bill

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Whb ]</p>
                \'79 Wagoneer Limited: 360,QT,TFI,40 gallon gas tank!<br />Original owner (though I\'m not sure who owns who)

Comment

• jettfuel
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 25, 2001

Whb- I just checked with James @ custom EFI's and he said he made a EFI for a guy in CA with all the emissions components attatched. He said the guy hasn't completed the install yet but he will take it to the smog referee when done. I am curious to know the outcome. James is really cool, feel free to e-mail him at [email protected] good luck. I am saving my lunch money as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                  X