• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78 WIDETRAC
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

1981 Cherokee

This is where it sits. I hope to get it moved in the next couple of weeks. I'm struggling with pics theses days but I'm hoping this link will let you see it. I of course only took a couple of pics I was too excited looking at it and listening to what Art had to tell me about it.

I'd like to get it back on the road, Access it and then figure out the plan.
    Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 11-05-2019, 09:36 PM.
  • JPSwapMohn
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2004

Congrats on the find. Biggest questions will be rust.. in the rear fender flares is the hardest to overcome. The next will be the floorboards. Looks solid from the pics.
    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
    50 CJ3A
    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

Thanks.

The rear flares look great. The body is pretty straight. The drivers door shut sooo nice. I'm Not sure on the floor yet. It has a 360/ t-18/ 208.

It's 90 miles south, so until I figure out where I can put it. I'm not able to really dig into it.

I'm bummed I didn't take a few more pics while I was there looking at it. I am assuming the floor pans in the front will need attention.
      Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 11-08-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
        350 Buick
        • Aug 19, 2003

My plans after I pick it up will be to

1. Get the passenger door operating.

2. Check the interior condition start by removing the front seats, carpet and look at floors. Also remove the sagging headliner.

3. Check out dash wiring for any destruction by mice. Good thing it has manual windows, manual remote side mirrors.

4. Check Motor condition, swap carb do fluids etc.. drain or pump out gas. inspect under hood wiring harnesses

*****Question.... Did 81 have a plastic tank or were they still metal? ***** My 78 was metal and my 84 was plastic. So I'm not sure of the exact transition year for that.

5. Check trans/ t-case fluid/ diff fluid.

I'd like to get her running after being dormant for so many years. I miss my 78 W/T so I thought it was time to get back into one before they were all gone or too expensive for me to buy.
        Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 11-26-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

'Scribed!!! SO excited to see this one come together!

add to your list:

6. ship front bumper/Winch to rang-a-stang
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

My Plan is to pick it up on the 14th of December and get it up closer to my house and store it at a friends place. ( he has a heated 40x60 shop). I have a one car garage full of a Jeep.

It might be able to get a day or two in there to get it running again. Then get it to my place after the new year.

I'm super excited to be within a 30 minute drive to work on it.

Rang, That's a beefy front bumper and winch set up. It would need to get mounted on a UPS truck to get shipped to you.

The pics just don't do the truck justice. I'll get more when I get it.

I hope to also install the Sniper FI system on it. But only after the tank is flushed and clean.

I also found some really cool old school 70''s/ 80's era turbine wheels for it. They are a bit wider though.

Comment

• Rusty76
              258 I6
              • Jul 15, 2018

Nice! Not sure where you are starting for welding skills. I started from zero and managed to weld in new floors. So if you find huge holes in the floor think of it as a bonus. Its a fun job. Cant wait to hear more about the build.
              1976 Jeep Wagoneer
              Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
              Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                350 Buick
                • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by Rusty76
                Nice! Not sure where you are starting for welding skills. I started from zero and managed to weld in new floors. So if you find huge holes in the floor think of it as a bonus. Its a fun job. Cant wait to hear more about the build.

I have zero welding skills, I assume there is at least one hole based on what was said by another member that looked at it previously. I'm not worried though.

I'm looking forward to getting this Jeep up close enough to work on and get back on the road.

I'll do my best to post pics when I get them. I've kind of figured that part out again.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 19, 2003

It's headed north to my friends place. Thanks Art.

Comment

• Rusty76
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 15, 2018

Looks great. That is a serious beefy bumper. Give that beauty a wash and fire her up. Exciting.
                    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                    Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Rusty76
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 15, 2018

Whats that silver square hatch?
                      1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                      Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                      Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by Rusty76
                        Whats that silver square hatch?

Apparently it was powered by natural gas at some point. that was the fill port access. I'm pretty sure all of that stuff is gone. I didn't get much time to mess with it yesterday.

I'm going to get some time off between christmas and new years. I hope to spend some time working on it. I did check out the floor pan on the driver side yesterday it has a couple of holes but nothing serious. It needs a good soak in penetrating oil. . Manual windows wont go up or down. Passenger door is stuck in between open and closed if that makes sense. It has been sitting for 10ish years. I personally think its in pretty good shape. Mice have worked over the seats. however the frames are solid and don't have the "lean".

Goldhammer also made a custom rack that fits in the receiver that is super cool.

I'm super excited to get it running and back on the road. I'll probably sell my 91xj to fund it.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                          Shakes hands with danger
                          • Jul 01, 2012

This is great! Every time Art would post a reply to his FS thread, I kept hoping it would be to say that the thing had been sold, but it never was. It's so good to see that this animal is finally on its way to a new home.
                          Last edited by DarkMonohue; 12-19-2019, 12:15 AM.
                          '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                          Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                          High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• bluehwy
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 28, 2014

Very cool. Excited to watch!

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                              350 Buick
                              • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                              This is great! Every time Art would post a reply to his FS thread, I kept hoping it would be to say that the thing had been sold, but it never was. It's so good to see that this animal is finally on it's way to a new home.

I was watching and hoping the same thing. I was happy to be the one to put a sold sign on that jeep and thread.

I think I'm getting some time off early next week, so I plan on getting the interior cleaned out and try to lube up the frozen window linkage inside the doors and un stick the passenger door.

I did turn the key when I picked it up and the starter made noise but did not engage. but I really wanted to see if the electrical to it worked and it does. I have a extra starter or 3 so I'll replace it.

I'm going to hold off on trying to start it until all fluids are changed and I prime it. and get the old gas out and clean or replace the carb.

Comment

Working...
                              X