• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Burgess
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 05, 2019

Loose tilt steering column

Anyone ever have a tilt column with a lot of up and down play? Mine moves up and down about an inch or so. The tilt still works but My 87 GW has a loose tilt steering column. The tilt works but the assembly the steering wheel is connected to moves up and down about an inch. In other words, if I grab the wheel with 2 hands, the unit moves up and down an inch or so. Not the whole column, just the top part that connects to the column. Anybody ever have this problem? I hate to dig into it and tear it all apart just to find out there is an easy fix. Thanks in advance, Bill from Phoenix
  • johnsonic
    258 I6
    • Mar 12, 2015

Mine was like that as well - this PDF is for a CJ but walks you through the process - was SUPER helpful. You'll need to rent or buy some steering wheel tools if you don't have them:

You will like driving 10x more once it's fixed.
    1984 GW
    Comp 260H
    Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
    Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
    Performer Intake
    Holley SA 670
    MSD 8523
    Dakota Digital custom cluster
    Serehill headlamp harness
    NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
    ...but the parts live on

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

No easy fix. I call it Dante s inferno because there is about 9 levels of hell to go through till you get to the bottom bolts to tighten it up. Be sure to put some lock tite on them so they never come loose again.
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

You can do 2 of bolts without tearing whole thing down.

So, the column on my '88 decided to loosen up couple weeks ago, got real bad. Yesterday got motivated enough to tackle it. Tore it all down, got to pin removal stage, screwed little tool into one, and upon removal attempt tool snapped off inside the flippin' pin. Barely any pressure on it, less than 1/8 turn on wrench...sigh

Well over a year and still nice and tight.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 67GMC
          232 I6
          • Mar 13, 2016

Just sharing this video from BJs Off-Road. Working on my column tomorrow.

BJ's Full Size Jeep Parts Loose Tilt Column Repair on a Jeep Grand Wagoneer (J10 / J20 / Gladiator / Cherokee Chief / SJ). This shows how to fix your loose t...
          My Stable:
          1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
          2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
          2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
          2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
          1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
          1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• 67GMC
            232 I6
            • Mar 13, 2016

Replying to my own thread just to report that I did this today. It is time consuming.
            I took pictures at each step of the tear down which helped a lot but still had to do it twice before getting it right. If you do it, pay close attention to the bearing race and spring. If you put them on the in the wrong order, everything fits but the steering wheel comes out even looser than it was with the bolts.

All three bolts were essentially loose on mine. The bottom right-most bolt was the worse. The tool for holding the steering plate down is a must to get that ring off the shaft. Also, the pin puller is pretty good. I changed the springs that cancel the signals too while i had them exposed. One wasn't working and the spring had broken so I just switched both out with new. I also didn't have enough slack wiring harness so had to disconnect it at the bottom of the column so I could pull some up. Disconnect your horn relay too to avoid annoying the neighbours (ask me how I know).

The BJs video is good but only shows the dissassembly. I watched some youtube videos on people reassembling GM columns to get it back on right.

Good luck.
            My Stable:

Comment

• Brynjminjones
              258 I6
              • Jun 11, 2017

Nice work!

I did the same a couple of years back, and my feedback was exactly the same as yours. I really struggled when I first tried without the correct tools.

Since then, one of my turn signal cancelling springs has snapped too - where did you find a replacement?
              1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
              1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
              1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• 67GMC
                232 I6
                • Mar 13, 2016

Thanks-Re-assembly is rarely the reverse of removal for me. A few parts extra typically.

For the turn signal cancellers, it's a little spring like object. I found a Dorman part: Dorman 49312 Turn Signal Return Spring, Pack of 2. Ordered from Amazon but probably available in autoparts stores. GM uses the same things in there similar era columns so there should be lots available.

Really nice to have the turn signals cancel after making the turn.
                My Stable:

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                  258 I6
                  • Jun 11, 2017

Thank you! I've just used that part number and found them on RockAuto. I'll grab some next time I place an order.
                  1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                  1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                  1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

Working...
                  X