• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Putt2close
    232 I6
    • Oct 16, 2012

Drat, it's broken

Ok, first off I have tried and failed, but have not given up. So far this old guy has searched, downloaded information, shrunk, made new files, and yet cannot make a photo paste into the forum. I will prevail. I think it is a sharing button issue and somehow I have not pushed the correct share for the pictures. I think.

That said I am still begging for aid. The shop has revealed that the front end axle is most likely kaput. The right front tire kingpin? is busted. My searching, this forum, and the shop agree that parts for a 72-73 are unrealistic to find. brakes are unavailable.

If I continue with this journey of reconstruction the reality of original is out the window.

That said, What front end should I put under this thing?

Please.

Greg
    1972 J 4000 (j4600)
    3speed manual
    4X4
    Not much rust, but needs TLC
    Been sitting for 10 years.
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

Make a photo bucket account , it free

Upload your pics, chose edit options and auto reduce to the forum limits...save then access the pic again and it will have hot links to your album you can paste in to your post

If you delete the pic from photo bucket it will no longer show up in the thread
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Headhoncho
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Oct 11, 2006

Don't give up with the pics. I finally got it and I'm terrible with computers.

As far as a front axle, I would go with a ch*vy (may bolt it?) and swap out Ford 5 lug outer knuckles to match the real axle. Or just upgrade both at the same time to ch*vy six lug.

JR
      [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
      1966 mustang fastback
      '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Rich88
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by Putt2close
        Ok, first off I have tried and failed, but have not given up. So far this old guy has searched, downloaded information, shrunk, made new files, and yet cannot make a photo paste into the forum. I will prevail. I think it is a sharing button issue and somehow I have not pushed the correct share for the pictures. I think.....
        Sigh...been-there/done-that...No, its not you. There should be a sticky that says "Pasting photos broke for good...use Photobucket", or something.

Go to www.photobucket.com and jump through the hoops to create an account. Upload pictures to it from your computer. Under each picture there will be a list of types of links. Highlight the one that starts with [IMG], press <Ctrl> <C> (for copy). Then go to your IFSJ post and press <Ctrl> <V> (for paste). At the moment you'll see just the code pasted in. But after you submit your post and go back to it the picture will be there.
        Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
        88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
        "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• dusty
          327 Rambler
          • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by Headhoncho
          Don't give up with the pics. I finally got it and I'm terrible with computers.

As far as a front axle, I would go with a ch*vy (may bolt it?) and swap out Ford 5 lug outer knuckles to match the real axle. Or just upgrade both at the same time to ch*vy six lug.

JR

if its an early chevy front end 73-77.5 with small bearing hubs all you'll need to change are the hub/rotors from a 1980-1991 f150/bronco, keep the chevy calipers, knuckles, spindles and caliper brackets. Ford knuckles and spindles are in many ways a down grade.

if you are going to regear theres options there too
          Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
          The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• Putt2close
            232 I6
            • Oct 16, 2012

Thank you.

I will do the photo bucket sunday or tuesday. Sailing regatta Sat and golf tourney Monday.
            The only "off roading this P/U will get is the back side of the lake where it is a graded flat dirt road so bullet proof is not needed. The only work it wil see is when I need to put the X30 out of the lake to get gas and go to the golf course from the summer home.

Hopefully when the shop gets it taken apart there will be fixable parts from BJ's. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks all Photo bucket time.

Greg
            1972 J 4000 (j4600)
            3speed manual
            4X4
            Not much rust, but needs TLC
            Been sitting for 10 years.

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

you can use picasa from google, with all the dreaded side effects.

you can probably swap a 74 front end....

Welcome to the addiction.

We need to do a get together.... I need to go down to pick up some parts.... when I return.... yes .... wrong time zone at the moment.... it is not 3 am here....
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
              X