• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SamW
    232 I6
    • Jun 04, 2010

1 PS question, 1 eletrical question

Power steering, on cold mornings (below 32) my steering seems to freeze up in one direction, at rest when cold I can turn to the right, but to the left freezes up, even when moving I can barely steer to the left, after a couple of minutes everything is fine. I put new hoses one two years ago, changes the fluid at that time. It is a remanufactured unit that has been on there for an unknown amount of time, just got the ('89) Wagoneer two years ago.

Eletrical question, is there a main ground location under the dash for guages and such? My guages act oddly depending on temp/humidity, I just figured I should check the grounds first.
    1989 Grand Wagoneer
    Edelbrock Intake and 1400 Carb
    No AIR injection anymore

Others;
    4 Alfa Romeos (2 Spiders, 1 GTV6, 1 Milano Verde)
    1 1970 Cutlass Supreme Conv
    7 Various Honda Motorcycles
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

On the steering issue, it sounds like you've got some air in the system that needs to be bled out, if that's the case, it will work out with time, or you can find an empty parking lot and can do a lot of turning from lock to lock.

As far as the guages go, the easiest way to find the grounds it uses would be to pull the instrument panel out. I don't recall any specific grounds at the panel of the newer GW's but it's been a long time since I pulled one apart. And, just so you know, the 86 and later FSJs all had suspect guages anyway, very flaky on readout and accuracy.

http://oljeep.com will/should have electrical drawings that you'll need, along with vacuum diagrams.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
      304 AMC
      • Apr 17, 2002

Originally posted by SamW
      Power steering, on cold mornings (below 32) my steering seems to freeze up in one direction, at rest when cold I can turn to the right, but to the left freezes up, even when moving I can barely steer to the left, after a couple of minutes everything is fine. I put new hoses one two years ago, changes the fluid at that time. It is a remanufactured unit that has been on there for an unknown amount of time, just got the ('89) Wagoneer two years ago.

Eletrical question, is there a main ground location under the dash for guages and such? My guages act oddly depending on temp/humidity, I just figured I should check the grounds first.
      Create a signature that addresses the Year, Make and Model of the Jeep, helps those whom you ask assistance of.
      Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper

Comment

Working...
      X