International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 06-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Grease Monkey

Keep fighting the good fight!

This thread illustrates why both cars I drive were made before 1975.

I do know that people have bought earlier wagoneers that were trashed just to swap titles with their rig that was having smog problems. Yes, I know this is illegal. No I'm not recomending anyone do this. I have not done this. It's an extreme solution but I felt it is worth mentioning in this thread as it shows to what extremes car nuts have had to go to enjoy their vehicles with our smog laws.

Todd

Last edited by Dr Teeth : 06-08-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Master Mechanic

I haven't swapped titles, either, I did give it a lot of consideration but the drawbacks are just too serious, even if it seems ridiculous that a vehicle that is identical a year or two before is exempt while my 77 isn't. But one thing to consider before trying is that the DMV wants to check the VIN in two locations - one in the engine firewall and one on the door jam... changing the door jam sticker could be tough but not impossible... a lot of body work to hide it though! The way I interpret this is that means swapping a body would be legal and would retain the title, but only swapping the firewall riveted on VIN plate would land a person in a world of trouble. .Fines, court, even jail?

that's just stupid to me but it's the way it is. I would definitely consider taking a 75 body tub and mounting it on my 77 frame and drivetrain, then moving fenders, interior, etc over to the 75 body. I wouldn't want post mount springs due the difficulty finding proper lift kits.

Even if one were to get away with just the firewall VIN plate at first - a good friend of mine was involved in a car accident where someone was killed... that person was crouching, and then stood up in the fast lane as he came around the bend doing 70. That person was picking up something they dropped out of the car while driving. ... ..he plowed right into that person and it wasn't pretty. I can't make a judgement on the exact situation, but the authorities impounded his car and took it apart bolt by bolt checking everything to make sure he wasn't at fault. In a situation like that, all VINs better match up. He had the fight of his life on his hands just to keep from being ruined financially. It nearly put him under.

Sorry this reply isn't exactly about diesel but more about smog. If only we had continued rolling the years forward. I'd like to get a 77 Trans Am or something and have fun with it.

Last edited by Fiodh. Argus : 06-06-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sewg
sell your current waggy and get a 75 or older and be done with it. smog excempt for 75 and older.
I mentioned that in this post...

I investigated EGRs and EPRs.

The EPR is a flapper valve at the bottom of the driver side exhaust manifold, controlled by vacuum from the EPR sensor/solenoid. At idle, it's essentially closed which raises the exhaust pressure to the EGR. The EGR sits in the middle of the intake (where a gasser's carb would be). I can't say for sure but I think exhaust comes directly from the head up through the center of the intake, and is metered into the intake manifold by the EGR. At full throttle, the EGR is off and the EPR flapper is open. At idle, the EGR is on and the flapper is closed.

My diesel did not come with the EGR valve. The intake has no provision for it and my exhaust manifold did not have the EPR. I don't know if the heads I have would support it anyway.

Thus, to make it CA-emissions compliant would require me to get a new intake manifold, exhaust manifold with the EPR, EGR solenoid, EPR solenoid, and lots of other bits I only have vague knowledge about.

I believe I will go with 75sewg's suggestion and get an older Wag to put my drivetrain into. I found a 1969 locally for $400...I'll try to grab it.

Anybody know what-all it takes to swap bodies on these rigs? Time for another thread, I think.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Master Mechanic

there was an old FSJ magazine article highlighting a body swap. They had a lot of guys to lift, or if you had a good big hoist that would be great. I actually don't think it's as much work as it sounds, but what do I know?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Master Mechanic

Well, so far Dr Teeth has the best thread I've seen with pics of a Wag body hovering over the chassis:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=66564
Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM

If you guys in Cal have a 4bt taking up space, I can come by and remove it for you

I was looking into a duel fuel propane/ gas. until I realized that propane was nearly $4.00. diesel is not that much cheaper.

how good are the gm 6.5? how much do they weigh?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Master Mechanic

Talking Possible miracle

After all my histrionics, last Saturday I received in the mail a renewal notice from CaDMV. There's no mention of a smog certification requirement. In fact, it has an online registration ID on it.

I renewed online this morning and got a "Congratulations" page...fingers are crossed!

However, I can't keep from scouting Craigslist et al for '75 and earlier Cali Wagoneers...
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Dog
If you guys in Cal have a 4bt taking up space, I can come by and remove it for you
Whaddayou, a comedian?
Quote:
I was looking into a duel fuel propane/ gas. until I realized that propane was nearly $4.00. diesel is not that much cheaper.
Diesel is a few cents per gallon cheaper than unleaded here. Yay! Finally!

Keep in mind that unless you're in a pre-'76 rig, you'll have the same trouble registering with propane that I've had registering with diesel. If it ain't stock and up to snuff, you're asking for trouble.

Quote:
There's all kinds of information and opinion on the 6.5. I love mine so far. The torque monster coupled with 3.54:1 gears and the deep TH700R4 first gear make it fairly jump off the line if I get impatient. Travel on the highway has been pleasant. This summer I haven't gotten it over 210 degrees going uphill - and I haven't been exactly gentle with the skinny pedal. On a recent trip from FarNorCal to Santa Barbara I got a combined city/highway 22.1mpg.

Prevailing opinion is that the 6.5 is better than the 6.2 (as expected, evolution helps sometimes). It weighs about 1,000 lbs loaded with accessories. Mine does not overstress the front springs as far as I can see. I've not hit the bumpstops with it yet. I can tell the Wagoneer is a bit front-heavy, but no worse than my lifted J-4000 with a 454 (800 lbs).

Other comparisons will have to come from folks more experienced than me.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:38 PM

ok So I feel inspiered to try the same thing. with the 6.5 (no looking for a parts rig).
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by budojeepr
After all my histrionics, last Saturday I received in the mail a renewal notice from CaDMV. There's no mention of a smog certification requirement. In fact, it has an online registration ID on it.

I renewed online this morning and got a "Congratulations" page...fingers are crossed!

However, I can't keep from scouting Craigslist et al for '75 and earlier Cali Wagoneers...
  1. Tags came in yesterday. No mention of smog requirements. I guess I will count my blessings, drive happily, and wait 'til next year to see if they hit me again.
  2. I went ahead and bought the white '72 Wagoneer. I can't decide if I should go ahead with the proposed body swap, or spruce it up and sell it.

The body is very nice, probably "great" for a '72. Slight surface rust in the usual spots. The bumpers are cherry. The grille is nearly perfect (chrome needs some help). Axles turn fine, no bearing red flags. Hubs work. Transfer case works. (Don't know about engine and transmission.) Right rear window has a hole right in the center of it. As a result, the carpet in the back is fairly trashed and there's some rust on the bottom of the back seat.

Interior is nicer than my '81. Good headliner, slight rip in the back. The dash is gorgeous. Steering wheel is perfect, even the clear plastic in the center. Needs new carpet and seat uphostery. The front bench seat has to go. I hate bench seats, especially those with butt-depressions larger than those you'd find in an IHOP booth.
Pictures are on my home computer and I'll put 'em up later, maybe in a new thread.

Votes?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Grease Monkey

Congrats on the Reg! It was great to finally meet you face to face last week. That diesel engine sure looks and sounds sweet.

Let me know if you want a parts rig for the 72 if you decide to fix it up. The 73 I have is still just sitting.... story is it was a driver before the engine started having trouble and it was retired. At best it would have spares for all the drivetrain, at worst it's a fine piece of lawn art.

Let me know...
Todd
Old 07-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Master Mechanic

that 72 sounds sweet. I say fixer up!

I was at a smog station with my Isuzu last week and the fella said next year they are going to start smogging diesels... I haven't heard anything else about it but maybe so.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
The DMV can do nothing to change the status/registration of a vehicle subject to smog.
It has to be done by a referee station.

Man do I hate PRK (love that acronym, however). I gotta get the f' out of here.

Last edited by zbethem : 07-14-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiodh. Argus

I was at a smog station with my Isuzu last week and the fella said next year they are going to start smogging diesels... I haven't heard anything else about it but maybe so.
Well I just got to this thread, and I could have saved the Original poster a lot of time and headache, I had already done all that research and had the parts he needed for the light duty application (EGR....)
As for the diesels getting smogged soon, it's 98 and newer that will be smogged and it's just a visual with a quick Lead foot 3 second test.
Pathetic, just so they could get some more money without spending any on equipment for testing.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiceman44
Well I just got to this thread, and I could have saved the Original poster a lot of time and headache, I had already done all that research and had the parts he needed for the light duty application (EGR....) ...

PM sent
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Teeth
Keep fighting the good fight!

This thread illustrates why both cars I drive were made before 1975.

I do know that people have bought earlier wagoneers that were trashed just to swap titles with their rig that was having smog problems. Yes, I know this is illegal. No I'm not recomending anyone do this. I have not done this. It's an extreme solution but I felt it is worth mentioning in this thread as it shows to what extremes car nuts have had to go to enjoy their vehicles with our smog laws.

Todd

It isn't illegal if you can save the body and frame, paint it up, and toss everything from the nice car back on

Side note, don't be a dumbass, destroy the origional, I have an old BMW parts car with 2 vin's and the seller was an Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley to me after I got it, every time I see it I want to send a letter to DMV informing them of the swap...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Dog

This irritates me, I work for a company that buys it in bulk for $1.80 I fill my tanks on their dime and pay it back...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiodh. Argus

Diesels 1998 or 1999 and up will be smogged, bye bye duramax