• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
    Idunno but if your saying that Dodge truck styling started downhill with the '94 I agree.
    It's more like Jeep keeps getting passed around like a freeloading, loose woman. Kaiser, AMC, Chrysler, Fiat, and now Great Wall is "thinking" about it.

Yes, I know that Fiat pushed back. I was making a joke in the earlier post. enough on this thread hijack, lets just eat popcorn and continue watching Brad's Hemi make noise (the one in his Cherokee)
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

The older Dodge trucks are pretty cool. I tried to buy one a couple of years ago but it wasn't as clean as the owner said. My current one is an '03 and I like the way it looks. With only 106,000 miles, I'll be keeping it around for awhile.

Lol on the Hemi comment!
      1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

I have a '98. Bought it for two reasons. Only Dodge had a stick and the Cummins.

Only new vehicle I've ever had. Had to order it. How else you going to get a Diesel, short bed and stick in the same truck?

Only 200k and no plans to replace it.
        Last edited by SJTD; 10-17-2017, 08:08 PM.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• bkilby
          350 Buick
          • Jan 10, 2016

That's cool. A short bed diesel with manual. Regular cab or extra?

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

Extra but a two door. I wanted the rear seat.

I think that was the first year for the four door but I didn't want to be the guinea pig for those.

I don't think the Diesel was available with the standard cab. Maybe too short?
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Cherokee Outlaw
              • Jan 10, 2006

The diesel was available in std cab/8ft bed, ext cab/6ft bed, and ext cab/8ft bed only. Mine was an ext cab (4 door)/8ft bed. A crack in the factory defect block @136,000mi was the reason for me selling. I loved that truck up until then.
              -Jonny B.
              1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
              7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
              AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
              NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
              F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
              R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Wagoneer - Sold
              1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

*Yawn*. Is this thing still on? It's been over a month since the last post. Life and work has been busy but things are going to start happening here pretty quick.

I'm at a point of decision making. I need some input from anyone who might still be reading.

I bought the PS drop tcase awhile ago and have the PS drop front axle... but to make things easier, I'm thinking of swapping the tcase to my NP231 DS drop and changing the front axle to match. This would make routing the exhaust much easier, transmission and tcase shifters would simply be from a TJ instead of custom made cables etc.

Here is where I'm stuck. I have another Waggy sitting here that hasn't sold yet that has D44 front and AMC 20 rear, both with 3.73 gears and Detroit Lockers. I can either sell this rig or part it out. If I part it out, I have to pay for the rig instead of help a friend sell it. It has some other cool components on it too but my focus is on the axles.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I haven't touched the axles on my rig yet. They need to be freshened up. The plan was to regear with 4.10's and ARB's with all new components etc. Swapping in these other axles would be quicker...even if I changed them out in the future. What I don't know is if that AMC rear is a crappy axle or not compared to the D44. And what would those axles be worth with the gear change and lockers?

Anyhow, just rambling I guess. Any input would be appreciated. Decision making starts tomorrow. Lol.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                  Cherokee Outlaw
                  • Jan 10, 2006

The AMC axles used in FSJs are just as strong as a Dana 44.
                  -Jonny B.
                  1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                  7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                  AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                  NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                  F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                  R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                  1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• bkilby
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                    The AMC axles used in FSJs are just as strong as a Dana 44.
                    Good to know. Are the F/R axle with the gears and lockers worth parting the rig out? I mean, they still need to be cleaned up a bit etc but the expensive stuff is already done.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

for the amount of time/effort and driving you put into getting the XFer case you have now working, I would think it would be easier/quicker to pull the front D44 center section out of the waggy and put it in the front of your Chero and swap rear axles.

That way you wouldn't have to mess with your existing driveshaft(s) or transfer case.

There was a guy on Craigslist (Anaheim) that was selling a Waggy chassis/axles both with lockers in them for $400. That listing was on Craigslist for like 2 months sooo... I think you could sell the axles complete but I am not sure you would get a whole lot for them...
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

for the amount of time/effort and driving you put into getting the XFer case you have now working, I would think it would be easier/quicker to pull the front D44 center section out of the waggy and put it in the front of your Chero and swap rear axles.

That way you wouldn't have to mess with your existing driveshaft(s) or transfer case.

There was a guy on Craigslist (Anaheim) that was selling a Waggy chassis/axles both with lockers in them for $400. That listing was on Craigslist for like 2 months sooo... I think you could sell the axles complete but I am not sure you would get a whole lot for them...
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 10, 2016

rang, the tcase that is currently installed is a passenger drop. If I pull the Waggy axles and put them in the Cherokee, the front is driver side drop and the rear is centered, which is why I was looking to swap that PS drove tcase over to the DS drop NP231D I have sitting on the shelf. Along with those axle will be the driveshafts of course.

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

Sorry rang. After slowing down a bit and re-read your comment, I realized what you were saying. Swap the rear and keep the front axle but swap in the gears and locker. Duh. Lol.

To be honest, I can swap the whole front housing faster than setting up the gears in my housing.....especially since I don't setup gears. The PS drop tcase can work I'm sure after overcoming hurdles but I'm still faced with a couple of issues. The front drive shaft would come very close to the transmission and tranny lines when the suspension is compressed on the passenger side. The driver side has quite a bit more room. The way the tranny is designed and shaped, it's just better to have a DS drop. The shifter would be easier to deal with as well as it would come out of a TJ and the center console would match both shifters too.

Also, the exhaust can run down the PS side like stock with DS drop tcase. Right now, i can't run the exhaust past the tcase on the passenger side. it would have to cross over to the driver side, run past the tcase then cross back over to the passenger side. I could run it down the driver side I guess but my fuel lines are on that side and I'd prefer not to run the exhaust there.

On the CL add with axles, I saw that add and if I remember correctly, the lockers were lunch box lockers, not full size Detroit lockers. These lockers would cost you $1200 if buying from BJ's, not to mention the cost of gears, set up etc. I'm not a fan of lunch box lockers.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

copy all, no apology needed. I didn't realize your case was that tight to your chassis. my Exhuast shop was able to squeeze 3" pipe between my QT case and chassis and I assumed your case would have slightly more clearance than mine.

You could run an X pipe under your trans and use that an as excuse to go from passenger side to middle and back.

Copy (ad). Good point.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 10, 2016

Here is a pic I took this morning. That is a 2.5" tube suspended in the air between the angled part of the frame and tcase. No room for movement. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X