• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smogdredd
    258 I6
    • Jul 19, 2010

Waggy back window woes

I drive My Waggy hard on bad roads every day and have had a problem with the rear window track and regulator pins wearing out. One day I looked in the rear veiw mirror and found the problem. The tailgate was moving from side to side. Later Waggys have taperd pins that locate the gate but the 63 didn't use them. Yesterday I fabricated pins and sockets for the gate and the results were fantastic! The interior noise level on washboard is like a new vehicle. If anyone wants to do this mod I would be glad to post a design probably better than what I did. Also I was able to get the gate to line up perfecly without the annoying gap difference on the sides that it has always had. It's amazing just how much flex there is in the tailgate opening area.
    '63 wagoneer '87 360 running gear except T case (207), warn hubs, 3.56 diffs and EFI Holley pro-jection using ford cfi throttle body Stock dist. with four wire HEI module.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare
  • Cherokee Man
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2009

Please post your design. Mine needs to be quieted down, too.

Comment

• shagwagon13
      232 I6
      • Jul 15, 2010

in for design!
      I'm Matt, and I like to party.

The Hoop: '79 Jeep Wagoneer, 'Kenny'.. we're getting along just fine.

Comment

• Brizio
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Apr 11, 2008

brizios.com
        Small Scale Jeeps
        Brizios

Comment

Yes please post up any information you can share about this. Even us guys that have the dovetails (thats how they are listed in parts) on the tailgate have issues with them. For one thing, they are made of the dreaded unobtainium. Another thing is that they seem to be inadequate when you have the inserts and all. I fabricated a pin from a bolt and have it pointed in one of the dovetails that does not have an insert, and it works some, but I am still seeing movement back there. Maybe some more adjustment is in order.
          Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
          Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• smogdredd
            258 I6
            • Jul 19, 2010

First design room for improvement

After I almost finished this i realized that the sockets could be placed on the side of the gate and the pins set in the flange where i had atached the sockets. OOOOPS The pins are 3/8 bolts taperd at the end. The sockets are spare spacers that fit the bolts closely. I had a 1/2 inch gap at the top right side of the gate, tried pulling but it sprang back. the pins fixed it.
            The sockets are attached where the sheet meatal is doubled just behind where the rubber wedge used to be. It takes a bit of fiddleing and filing to get a smooth open and close due to the geometry of the gate closing.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by smogdredd; 12-12-2010, 04:25 PM.
            '63 wagoneer '87 360 running gear except T case (207), warn hubs, 3.56 diffs and EFI Holley pro-jection using ford cfi throttle body Stock dist. with four wire HEI module.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

Yup the AMC version has the pins mounted to the body and the dovetails are on the sides of the gate. I think I used a 3/8 bolt on mine.
              Mark B. Jones

Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

Comment

• Cherokee Man
                232 I6
                • Oct 05, 2009

Thanks for posting this smogdredd. If I can't quiet my tail gate squeaks, I just may resort to this. Yesterday I have discovered the main reason mine squeaks so much, is the latch on the left side of the gate is not latching the gate. So I'm going to try and fix that first before diving into your solution.

I have read various posts that said the tailgates changed design somewhere along the line. Does anyone know for sure when they changed? Was the latching mechanism one of the things that changed? This info will help me to research what is wrong with my gate.

On each side of the gate there is a wheel-type of gear with 7 or 8 teeth. I think the teeth on that gear are supposed to mesh with the latch mechanism on the body. On my 78, the gear on the good side seems to only turn in one direction. On the bad side that gear just spins in either direction.

Comment

• smogdredd
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 19, 2010

Better idea

This is the rough idea for design #2 Exact measurements and such are up to You and the window track may in fact be too close for all but the thinnest hardware.
                  Attached Files

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

• smogdredd
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 19, 2010

Adjusting the latch

Originally posted by Cherokee Man
                    Thanks for posting this smogdredd. If I can't quiet my tail gate squeaks, I just may resort to this. Yesterday I have discovered the main reason mine squeaks so much, is the latch on the left side of the gate is not latching the gate. So I'm going to try and fix that first before diving into your solution.

I have read various posts that said the tailgates changed design somewhere along the line. Does anyone know for sure when they changed? Was the latching mechanism one of the things that changed? This info will help me to research what is wrong with my gate.

On each side of the gate there is a wheel-type of gear with 7 or 8 teeth. I think the teeth on that gear are supposed to mesh with the latch mechanism on the body. On my 78, the gear on the good side seems to only turn in one direction. On the bad side that gear just spins in either direction.
                    The latch has two ratchet positions, ideally the first click on both sides will be about 3/4 of an inch out and the second click should only happen after the waetherstrip is compressed slightly. If Your'e weather strip is old pull the gate rearward in the fully closed position and check the level of the gate skin and fender, correct if not flush and add weatherstrip tape if flush isn't tight.
                    The latch didn't change that much and dosn't keep the gate centerd, that's why the newer ones use pins just like most convertables use on doors.
                    Last edited by smogdredd; 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM.

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

• smogdredd
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 19, 2010

Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogleyed plastic

Originally posted by 710 Burner
                      Yes please post up any information you can share about this. Even us guys that have the dovetails (thats how they are listed in parts) on the tailgate have issues with them. For one thing, they are made of the dreaded unobtainium. Another thing is that they seem to be inadequate when you have the inserts and all. I fabricated a pin from a bolt and have it pointed in one of the dovetails that does not have an insert, and it works some, but I am still seeing movement back there. Maybe some more adjustment is in order.
                      Most pin aligners use a nylon insert and i suppose if one was truly picky the socket could be overdrilled and lined with PVC pipe or smething simillar.

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

• smogdredd
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 19, 2010

Check to be sure the rod connecting the latch to the handle isn't too tight keeping the latch open. they should both ratchet with the gate open and the handle in the down position. You may have a broken spring in the latch.

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

• lkmarsh
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 21, 2008

Might want to check your tailgate hinges. My gate rattled the same way, even with the dovetails. Both hinge pins had sheared. Machine shop fixed them with drill rod.
                          Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
                          69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
                          68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
                          68 Impala wagon 327/400
                          73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
                          04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
                          73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• smogdredd
                            258 I6
                            • Jul 19, 2010

Originally posted by lkmarsh
                            Might want to check your tailgate hinges. My gate rattled the same way, even with the dovetails. Both hinge pins had sheared. Machine shop fixed them with drill rod.
                            Been there, new bushings and pins in '87 hinges. The '63 hinges were completly seized.

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

I don't know the exact year, i think it was at the end of '79. Can you push the handle down and get the other latch to lock up?
                              Mark B. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X