I can't believe it's been 10 days since I have updated this thread but I've been very busy and had to go back to a regular work week last week.
I'm still sanding on the bed but I got the fenders painted and began wet sanding them. Priming the fenders went a lot better than the bed and I got the gun to lay the primer on fairly smooth so they won't need that much sanding work.
The weather is being a bit unpredictable, even for the weather people, they can't seem to get anything right which makes planning a problem but I'm pressing on with whatever I can.
Of course my habit of doing goofy things is kind of slowing me down. Ever since I began working on the header panel it's been bothering me that the lower panel has dirt, rocks, debris and rust in it so I decided I better remove it, de-rust it and see exactly what needs done rather than just treat and coat it like I was considering. After all I've done so much to the truck at this point and never want to do it again so I may as well do it right regardless of the amount of time it takes.
Well, the original header panel is being a pain to remove. The bolts were very rusty and at risk of breaking so I have been soaking them in penetrating oil for a week now in preparation for removing. That actually went well except I'm having trouble reaching the one behind the steering gearbox. I think I just need to bring home a longer wrench from work and I'll be able to get it. In truth I should pull the steering gearbox and take it down to Redhead and have them rebuild it while the truck is down because it's leaking but my annual budget for the truck is so far back in the rear view mirror I can't even see it any more. So that is going to have to wait.
In the mean time I started looking at the '69 header panel I had sitting around that I was thinking about using as a wall hanging. A while back I was considering swapping them but changed my mind. At that time SOLSAKS and I discussed me sending him the header but I talked him out of it because it has rust problems and I felt it wasn't worth even the cost of the shipping it would take to sent it to him.
Anyway, I'm working on getting the original header off, sanding on various parts and start thinking that maybe that header is salvageable after all. I really shouldn't be allowed to think some times
. So I start looking at the header, remove it from the core support and Yep It's pretty bad. There is rust between the top and bottom panels that are spot welded together
and a lot of holes in the bottom panel
but I've gained a lot of knowledge about rust removal and rebuilding this stuff in the past couple years so decided I might just tackle it.
So first thing, I did was take it to work to make sure there weren't any other major problems. The first problem was pretty minor. It seems that in '69 the radiator was mounted about 2 inches further back than on the '72
That was easy enough to fix by making the cutout match the '72 cutout
Then I proceeded to strip the paint off. There was a fairly minor dent I had to beat out but that was it as far as the top section
There was only a small dent that needed taken out so it seemed like I was good to go on the next step, the acid bath.