• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by Jeepstress
    You must have low range. Period. We will not allow you on the trails with us if you don't.
    And seat belts!
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by will e
      And seat belts!
      And Ninja Bondage Marmot shields
      (a really good waterproof tent helps too)
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

and um...dare I mention it...something to lock your food up in when not taking it on the trail with you. Something...not made of fabric on the edge of the woods..
        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• bigun
          • Feb 10, 2003

Only you would know!

Options:

2. Come with some cash, a tent and a sleeping bag (or rug if you like to sleep outside by the fire) The KOA has Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/snacks available. You should check before you leave but someone will probably share their tent site with ya. You will also see a few 'drop outs' right before the date and you might be able to grab one of their sites (I dropped out last year)
          The KOA serves Breakfast and Dinner only, but they serve Breakfast till around 10:30
          I don't know how close a count the KOA folks keep on the number of people and rigs when we are there. I suppose if it got to crowded they might say something
          charlie
          KB0HXA
          "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
          congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
          How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
          Robert A. Heinlein
          The birth of CROM is recorded here
          http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• bigun
            • Feb 10, 2003

and um...dare I mention it...something to lock your food up in when not taking it on the trail with you. Something...not made of fabric on the edge of the woods..
            OOOOOO That was low!!!! LOL
            charlie
            KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
            Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by bigun
              The KOA serves Breakfast and Dinner only, but they serve Breakfast till around 10:30
              I don't know how close a count the KOA folks keep on the number of people and rigs when we are there. I suppose if it got to crowded they might say something

No lunch???? I will have to bring extra Cheese Crisps then. (and they do have some staples in the store like PBJ.)

The back area has some extra room. I think as long as we don't try to 'cheat' the system they would be cool with it. Not like one FSJ person is going to complain to them that a site next to them has too many folks....
              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

I buy lunch meat to take with me on trips as well as PB&J with some bread. Instead of McD's food stops I make a sammich when I stop for gas. $15 worth of lunchmeat will replace alot of $8 McD stops. Same goes for when I'm at the campground. I usually bring out a box of groceries. Most cans come with pull top lids, like soups and chili and I feel a welcome meal after eating on the road for a week or so.
                Not all my meals come from the box of stuff but about half will. there is always a run into town where a real store is located to restock so it's not like you have to pack 2 weeks worth of food.
                The biggest expense that needs replaced is the Ice Situation. While in the higher cooler area it is not too bad. My trips to CO usually will involve at least 3 or 4 days of 90-100 degree temps while traveling. Then there is always a side trip while I'm in the area up to MT. 5-6 days of 100 plus will wear a person out and 3 bags a day is common. Then drive back home the 1500 plus miles is murder, where does all that wind go to? For once I would like to have it at my back instead of trying to blow me up into Canada at 50 MPH.

Who got me started rambling again......
                Hope to see you guys this summer as well. Jeep or no Jeep.. Then again it's usually no Jeep anyway.
                Tom Gibson
                1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
                1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
                1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
                2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• srobertsfsj
                  304 AMC
                  • Aug 26, 2002

I like to use tortillas instead of bread, it travels better IMO. I always get beef jerky cause it handy on the trail.
                  Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
                  http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

• olllllo
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 29, 2003

Originally posted by srobertsfsj
                    I like to use tortillas instead of bread, it travels better IMO. I always get beef jerky cause it handy on the trail.
                    One of my backpacking staples is pita bread and peanut butter in a squeeze tube. Rip the pita in half and shoot the the PB into it. You can cram the pita bread into your pack and not worry about crushing it.
                    ~Dave Shuck

'86 Grand Wagoneer - 4BT Cummins, Dodge NV4500, Ford NP205, Front HD HP 44, rear D60, 37" military Goodyear MTs
                    >> Build Thread <<

Comment

• will e
                      Always Broke
                      • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by olllllo
                      One of my backpacking staples is pita bread and peanut butter in a squeeze tube. Rip the pita in half and shoot the the PB into it. You can cram the pita bread into your pack and not worry about crushing it.
                      That's a good one. Last two times I hiked the canyon I brought bread (in a special container). Pita is a better choice for sure. I will do some testing.

I tend to make most of my food at Ouray or eat Ralphs..

I did have a dinner at the KOA. ANd one year I did a breakfast there but the food is pretty greasy. It's nice for getting coffee but now that starbucks has the VIA it's almost as easy and really good.

I am 'famous' (in my own head) for passing out Cheese Crisps with Los Dos Molinos Salsa on them and I usually bring a bunch of spicey asian ribs (cocktail size). I cook them in advance and then warm them back up on the grill. Ymmmm Yet another advantage of showing up a couple of days early.

I remember the one night I wandered over to the KOA only to find the kitchen was closed (just missed it). I couldn't drive so I went to the little store and got some crackers and a few other things, wasn't very happy with what was going to be 'dinner'. As luck would have it the 'unofficial' pot luck was that night and several people made extra food. Corn on the cob, chicken, some mexican food, I forget what else... turned out great (for me)

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                        Murphy's Law Poster Child
                        • Dec 03, 2003

I am 'famous' (in my own head) for passing out Cheese Crisps with Los Dos Molinos Salsa on them and I usually bring a bunch of spicey asian ribs (cocktail size). I cook them in advance and then warm them back up on the grill. Ymmmm Yet another advantage of showing up a couple of days early.
                        Those ribs are awesome!
                        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                        '88 GW
                        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• bigun
                          • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by HOOT
                          I buy lunch meat to take with me on trips as well as PB&J with some bread. Instead of McD's food stops I make a sammich when I stop for gas. $15 worth of lunchmeat will replace alot of $8 McD stops. Same goes for when I'm at the campground. I usually bring out a box of groceries. Most cans come with pull top lids, like soups and chili and I feel a welcome meal after eating on the road for a week or so.
                          Not all my meals come from the box of stuff but about half will. there is always a run into town where a real store is located to restock so it's not like you have to pack 2 weeks worth of food.
                          The biggest expense that needs replaced is the Ice Situation. While in the higher cooler area it is not too bad. My trips to CO usually will involve at least 3 or 4 days of 90-100 degree temps while traveling. Then there is always a side trip while I'm in the area up to MT. 5-6 days of 100 plus will wear a person out and 3 bags a day is common. Then drive back home the 1500 plus miles is murder, where does all that wind go to? For once I would like to have it at my back instead of trying to blow me up into Canada at 50 MPH.

Who got me started rambling again......
                          Hope to see you guys this summer as well. Jeep or no Jeep.. Then again it's usually no Jeep anyway.
                          You need to get you one of those ARB type refrigerators for your trip.
                          I generally have a couple of coolers one big one that I can put block ice and frozen food one to carry drinks (do not mix your drink and meat coolers) and one small one to carry trail food. Mostly though I just eat at the restaurant for me it is just easier and I don't have to cook or clean up after word!
                          charlie
                          KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• billyj7175
                            304 AMC
                            • Sep 10, 2001

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                            Black Bear might have some extra pucker factor but otherwise you should be fine.
                            The last time I went over Black Bear was years ago and I was riding with a buddy in his first gen Bronco (why is it the p-factor seems to increase exponentially when riding shotgun?)...so yeah...I guess I should have specified, but I never had any intentions of taking my J10 over it...maybe 20 years ago I would have gotten a thrill out of it...but I've had enough "pucker" in my life already to last me for a while, thank you very much...haha.
                            83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
                            360/727/229
                            4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• Knuck
                              350 Buick
                              • Jun 13, 2008

Originally posted by billyj7175
                              I just might be up in Colorado around this time...not sure if I'll have the truck ready by then, but you never know...

Would a LWB J10, 4" lift, 33's and open diffs be alright on the trails or do I have too much overhang?
                              My son had his J20 with 33's there last year. It has an open diff in the rear. He did manage to get a Lunchbox locker put in the front before we left. He had no issues on any of the trails we went on.
                              81 J20 "Mater", 401/T-18/NP208, Rhino Conversion, 4" Rusty's all-spring lift, extended length front shackles, 2" rear blocks. LT285/70r-16 M.T. Baja Claws, Front Locker, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper under construction.

Comment

• billyj7175
                                304 AMC
                                • Sep 10, 2001

Originally posted by Knuck
                                My son had his J20 with 33's there last year. It has an open diff in the rear. He did manage to get a Lunchbox locker put in the front before we left. He had no issues on any of the trails we went on.
                                Thanks!

If I do end up getting to go, I'll probably just stick with the easier/scenic routes.

I always did like the Alpine Loop over by Lake City...can easily be done in a stock rig.
                                83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
                                360/727/229
                                4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

Working...
                                X