• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 02, 2007

Motorcraft Carburetor PLEASE HELP

On a motorcraft 2-barrel carburetor from a 1985-1986 Jeep 360 engine with no emission controls at all. On the left side of the accelator pump is another pump,'' if it is a pump' it has a vacuum line and is connected internally with the accelator pump. Does anyone know what this is for and do I need it ,or can I plug the vacuum line? If not what does the vacuum line connect to? also on the bottom of the carburetor and slightly to the left of the accalator pump between the Fuel/Air adjusting screws is a square plate with 4 screws attaching it to the bottom of the carburetor bowl it has a round center with a vacuum line connected to it, same question do I need it, if so what does the vacuum line connect to?
    I was told if I had no emissions controls at all that all I needed was a vacuum line from the left side of the carburetor to the distributor and a vacuum line from the right front of the carburetor to the E.G.R. valve does anyone know if this is true?
    I know this is long but I really need help.
    THANKS
    KRISTY
  • GWChris
    304 AMC
    • Jan 22, 2005

The device on the bottom is the power valve, and the vacuum line needs to be connected to manifold vacuum. These often leak, which can cause a very rich condition - your's is already rich as it is not connected, but if there is a hole in it it could be even worse. The best way to check it is to use a hand pump vacuum tester, available at your local auto parts store.

I'm not sure what the other "pump" you descrbe is, but it may be the float bowl vent valve. Earlier ones were mechanical, and later ones were electric solenoid valves. Most of the solenoid valves have failed open. If that is the case with yours, block it off.

As far as the no emssions vacuum routing - the EGR is emissions. So is the ported vacuum connection you describe for the distributor vacuum advance. A true no emissions vacuum routing needs 2 lines (in addition to the PCV and the brake booster) - 1 from manifold vacuum to the distributor, and 1 from manifold vacuum to the power valve. Not that I'm recommending you run it that way, as I don't know what it is used for.

Removing the emissions controls requires re-jetting the carb and re-tuning the spark advance to make it run properly.

Comment

• headrickja
      232 I6
      • Aug 15, 2005

Thanks for the advive GW Chris it has been heapful. I checked the numbers on the carburetor and found that it is from a 1985 302 ford engine. The carburetor was on a 360 engine in a 1985-1986 jeep wagoneer that I purchased at a salvage yard. Well it run right on the jeep once it is rebuilt? If it is going to always be trouble I will purchase the right carburetor and save a lot of time.
      THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

Comment

• GWChris
        304 AMC
        • Jan 22, 2005

2150s come in 2 common venturii sizes - 1.09 and 1.21 I think. The 360 should have a 1.21 - it is cast on the side of the carb. I'd bet the one from the 302 was the smaller size - it will work but may need some tuning. It might be easier - if more expensive - to get the right carb.

Comment

Working...
        X