Multiple Transfercase leaks! Shop or DIY ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr_Jim
    232 I6
    • Sep 01, 2010

Multiple Transfercase leaks! Shop or DIY ?

The J10 passed inspection again!...awesome!
    BUT...seems to have somehow sprung a tcase leak over the last 4 days! (since I was under it last)....
    Shop said its leaking at the output seal and also where it's joined together.
    Fluid level is way down! And I filled it up 1 year ago.

Just wondering if this is a simple job?....or a big PITA job that will ripple into all sorts of other problems?

special tools?

Any thoughts on this?

So far I have dove into everything this truck has thrown at me from water pump to TFI to carb rebuild....but I know nothing about the Tcase. Not even sure which one it is at the moment! 229 ?

thx!
    87 J10 longbed. 360
    03 TJ Rubicon
  • MadMax78
    258 I6
    • May 26, 2010

I say go for it. Get a rebuild manual and have at it. I am getting ready to rebuild the spare QT I have. Have never done it but how else will I learn. That could be bad philosophy on my part. Sounds like it needs a couple of seals and you are good to go. I'm no expert but I didn't stay at the motel 6 either. They forgot to leave the light on for me. sorry couldn't resist
    MadMax78
    78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• pcoplin
      232 I6
      • Feb 17, 2013

T-cases are real easy. New input and output seals, and a good silicone on the case halves.
      85 Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
      98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
      01 F250 Powerstroke
      ***Space saved for a J-truck***

Comment

• mdcptman
        Jeep Therapist
        • Apr 09, 2010

Its not hard to reseal, but first you hafta pull it. You are gonna need jack stands, and a floor jack, or be strong enough to lift it down and back up in place. A flex head ratchet, deep sockets and a ratcheting flex head end wrench all can be very helpful. The bolts joining the tcase to the trans are hard to get to at the top. Once u have the tcase on the bench be sure to take lots of pictures of it as u crack it open and disassemble. It will save u when u go back together. Good time to look at ur chain and bearings too. Get the Haynes manual. It may help. Good luck!
        Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
        88 Grand Wagoneer
        360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
        Edelbrock 2131
        Holley 600
        Hydroboost
        Hedman headers
        Dual exhaust
        MSD6A, TFI
        Digital Gauges
        Rusty's 2" Lift
        31x10.5 15LT15s
        Quote From Friend's Mom:
        "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• serehill
          Gone,Never Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2009

Honestly

It has nothing to do with us or our ability. Being you had to ask I would assume you do not have a lot of mechanical experience. If you don't have experience & tools then a shop would be the answer.
          Objective thought process is what is called for here.

If you have the tools & knowledge & confidence to do it go for it.

Complicated no if you can rebuild a motor then this is elementary.

There is no doubt the best mechanic knows what not to work on.

80 Cherokee
          360 ci 727 with
          Comp cams 270 h
          NP208
          Edlebrock performer intake
          Holley 4180
          Msd total multi spark.
          4" rusty's springs
          Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

Honestly

It has nothing to do with us or our ability. Being you had to ask I would assume you do not have a lot of mechanical experience. If you don't have experience & tools then a shop would be the answer.
            Objective thought process is what is called for here.

If you have the tools & knowledge & confidence to do it go for it.

Complicated no if you can rebuild a motor then this is elementary.

There is no doubt the best mechanic knows what not to work on.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Dr_Jim
              232 I6
              • Sep 01, 2010

Getting a little philosophical aren't ya?

Every mechanic starts out with no experience and no tools. You did as well. If that is what should determine whether or not to attempt something then this forum wouldnt exist...and there would be no mechanics.

I referenced water pump, carb rebuild and TFI as 'some' of the tasks I have done on my truck. This should help establish a baseline of what my competency might be.

I have tools. I have confidence. I also have knowledge....the knowledge to ask questions of those who know more, have done more and can do more. The knowledge to gather as much info as possible prior to undertaking a new task (like I did with everything so far on this truck).....inclusive of gathering thoughts & insight from you guys.

So it's one of those things ya know. Sometimes people post about the difficulty of a project....in fact those posting happen more than occasionally.....and this is one of those posts.
              Pretty simple question to those that have experience doing this, asked by someone without experience doing this.

And you are certainly right: If I could rebuild an engine...then this would be simple.
              87 J10 longbed. 360
              03 TJ Rubicon

Comment

• Chief Gunner
                327 Rambler
                • Mar 10, 2006

I say go for it. I rebuilt mine a few months ago. It really is a lot easier then I expected it to be. I went to ole toms site downloaded and printed out the FSM for the transfer case and used that as a guide. Take your time pulling it apart and keep all the pieces in order so re-assembly goes smoothly. Once I started pulling parts out, I lost all the needle bearings. That was scary at first, but the FSM tells you how many of each you are supposed to have. I grabbed a couple of zip lock sandwich bags, got them seperated, counted them to ensure I had them all, and saved them for re-assembly. When it came time to reassemble, I used some patrolium jelly to hold the bearings on the various locations. The only problem we ran into was on re-assembly, one needle bearing fell as we dropped the main shaft in which wouldn't let it sit propperly. Once we identified that, we reset the bearing and the shaft set in place like it should have. Overall, it was an easy job. The only mistake I made was with the speedometer gear in the output of the transfer case. I put it in backwards, so now in drive, I get no speed indication, but in reverse, the speedometer moves in the negative direction. I will get around to fixing that some day.
                The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
                Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
                WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

not sure.... go and practice at the local picknpull.... the 229 is probably a bit heavier than a 208 which can be handled fairly well by one skinny mechanic....

as far as output seals, there is no need to remove the whole tcase.... first step is to locate the origin of the leak... front... rear....
                  Michel
                  74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                  85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                  X