• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeepsGot360
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 05, 2017

Quadra-trac output seals

Read some forum posts and the shop manual. Says the springs on the seal should face outward. Just wanted to confirm with you guys so I'm not laying in bed at night thinking about it. Attached a picture of how I'm gonna install the seals.

Last edited by JeepsGot360; 08-14-2018, 08:35 PM. Reason: Question was answered
    78 J10
    84 CJ8
    79 Wagoneer
    43 GPW
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

the inner seal will have the spring facing in towards the transfer case and tapped in all the way so it is flush with the inside edge. you need to leave a gap in between the 2 seals as there is a oil hole to supply lube to the seals. install the outer seal with the spring facing towards the trans and so it is flush with the out side edge. make sure when installing the transfer case you use a jack to keep it level while installing or you will damage the seals and you will have to pull it out again and redo it.

Comment

• JeepsGot360
      230 Tornado
      • Feb 05, 2017

Ah so you would drive both seals in past the bearing towards the trans side. Do I understand you correctly?
      78 J10
      84 CJ8
      79 Wagoneer
      43 GPW

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
        350 Buick
        • Jul 09, 2009

A Quadra-Trac is a Quadra-Trac does not matter what year.
        (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• JeepsGot360
          230 Tornado
          • Feb 05, 2017

Alright gentleman, looking at the diagram can we agree on this? Link shows diagram from manual vs my seals suspended on a screwdriver mimicking the diagram. https://imgur.com/O4GD3SZ
          78 J10
          84 CJ8
          79 Wagoneer
          43 GPW

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

looks like you got it

Comment

• JeepsGot360
              230 Tornado
              • Feb 05, 2017

Awesome, thanks everyone for the guidance. I'm about halfway with the rebuild. Put the differential sprocket back together tonight. Read a post somewhere where a guy went and got threaded rod and cut into lengths. He screwed two pieces into the trans as a guide for the T-case. Think I'm going to give that a try.
              78 J10
              84 CJ8
              79 Wagoneer
              43 GPW

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by JeepsGot360
                Read a post somewhere where a guy went and got threaded rod and cut into lengths. He screwed two pieces into the trans as a guide for the T-case. Think I'm going to give that a try.
                Good choice, makes it easier to keep seals undamaged on install.
                It?s zero fun to have fresh seals leak!
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                X