• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by bwwhaler
    http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p?f=10&t=14299
    I did exactly what the OP did, it took me a few orders from Amazon for the correct H4's, but their return policy is awesome as well. I did buy the cheaper headlights, and they came on time and looked good, but I prefer the Hella's so I used them. I did everything else exactly the same.

Fantastic. Thank you.
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• nograin
      304 AMC
      • Dec 19, 2000

Filament bulbs direct a significant portion of the light to the reflector as well directly through the lens. LED's are by their very nature directional. Ergo LED bulbs will change the beam pattern relative to a HB2 or H4 bulb.

The best way to go with LED's is to use a top quality lamp designed for LEDs from the get go. Check into the models by Trucklite and JWSpeaker if you want to go that route.

For a lamp marked HB2 or H4, I've been pretty satisfied with Narva Rangepower +30. The +30 or +50 bulbs produce more light in exchange for shorter lifespan, but draw the same wattage as stock.

PS. Someone in the FSJN thread posted their ammeter showed the headlamps were drawing 20 amps. This indicates a problem!
      a. The ammeter should only show whether the battery is being charged or discharging.
      - > Only if the engine is off and the headlights turned on would the ammeter show current drawn by the lights - all of the lights.
      - > If the ammeter swings to discharge or charge when the engine is running and the the headlights are turned on, something is wrong.
      b. The headlights should not draw 20 amps. In fact in the headlight switch is a 20 amp breaker. If they are drawing 20 amps, say measured with an inductive clamp meter, something is wrong. One possibility is low voltage across the bulbs caused by resistance in the circuits or grounding.

Quick calculations - Assume 60 Watt power draw from each bulb on high beam. Both bulbs together
      At 12.0 Volts draw 10 amps of current flow.
      At 14.5 Volts draw 8.3 amps of current flow

However, truth be that "the US standard for the "60/55w" HB2 (9003) is 72/65w max at 12.8v, and the UN/ECE standard for the "60/55w" H4 is 75/68w max at 13.2v."
      Therefore its possible the bulbs will draw more than the amount calculated above.
      72 Watts at 12.8 Volts equals 11.25 amps (for 2 bulbs)
      75 Watts at 13.2 Volts is 11.4 amps (for 2 bulbs)

and lets say one accidently left the high beams on with the engine off and the battery is down to 12 Volts. In this case, it would try to draw 12.5 amps. Reality is the bulbs draw less power and put out less light at the lower voltages, so the examples are extreme. The point is the two headlights never draw more than 12 amps.
      '85 Grand Wagoneer
      360 727auto, NP229
      body by beer (PO)
      carries wood inside
      no "wood" outside
      My other car is a fish

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
        350 Buick
        • Jul 09, 2009

Before I parked my Waggy, I had done the Hella H4 coversion with a relay kit.
        Really great lighting, and it still looked period correct for the FSJ.
        The LED headlights are cool, but IMHO they just don't look right on our rigs.
        (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
          I agree. I am not a fan of LED headlights on our rigs. Looks a little awkward IMHO. Clean all your contacts, add relays, and H4s and you will have good lighting and looks.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• JeepJeepster
            350 Buick
            • Sep 04, 2014

This. Gotta get a good relay kit first. Ive always read good things about the hella h4 bulbs too.
            2004 Jeep Liberty
            1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
            1994 Jeep ZJ I6
            1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• dbabicky
              258 I6
              • Dec 31, 2011

Exactly what I did to 3 of my vehicles, 2 Jeeps and a Chevy K3500. Best useful mod I ever did to any of them. I got the relay harness's from LMC truck for $29.99 each,(harness is for 73-81 Chevy square body),and the Hella H-4 headlights from Summit for $100.00 a pair !! So for roughly $130.00 per vehicle, I have excellent headlights.
              1975 J-10,360,TH400,QT,
              1998 Wrangler,TJ,4.0L,5spd
              2000 Chevy K3500,454 Auto
              2009 GMC Canyon,3.7,Auto, 2.5" lift/leveling kit
              all with a looney DAV behind the wheel.
              "Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"

Comment

Working...
              X