International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 07-23-2018, 11:58 AM
304 AMC

I wished I had done the same thing Dave. Two rolls and more of a duplicate of what it came with. All the coulda shoulda woulda's in life. I have a few here and there. Well maybe.

Putting stuff back on. Like the fan and it has good clearance now. Ordering battery cables in 2 (00) size, soaking rusty bumper bolts. Running back and forth to the beater 70 outside to verify stuff. Maybe I should park it closer to the shop. Also prepping seat frames for repairs and paint, horns, drivelines, bumper brackets, on and on. Good thing I ordered another quart of chassis black. I realize there is a lot of stuff left. More coffee right?

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-23-2018, 02:50 PM
304 AMC

Seeing pictures of the rig, generally, as a whole, is great! I think I speak for ALOT of us when I say I am really excited to see Sadie out in the sunshine.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 PM
304 AMC

Me too. Even though I keep a big plastic shower cap cover over it, there is a lot of dust especially under the hood. That makes swirl like scratches. And I would scoot Sadie outside for a good rinse, but there is a large lumber and metal package blocking the area. I have a pole barn going in hopefully starting Wednesday. I am also eager to rinse off all the liquid spray mask under the body. It is all over the frame and axles. It should reveal crisp fresh paint after is dissolves.
The new shocks should be here in a day or so. Once the drivelines are painted, I believe just about everything is done under there. Another thumbs up!

The bumpers are heading to a different and new chrome shop. I spoke with them today. It will add a significant cost but they need it. I don't have a rear bumper center that does not have drilled non factory holes in it. They will be filled and re-plated. Why stop now, right?

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-26-2018, 06:21 PM
304 AMC

I have to laugh. My nearest town is not that small. I called DMV today to ask a title question. They answered (I am not kidding) "Is this Al the jeep guy"?
Why YES, yes it is.... Totally cracked me up. I told them I was trying to not bring any more jeeps home. And I have a support group. That would be all of you guys here at IFSJA. Funny stuff.

So I motored to makerpoint to make a bunch more shift indicators. The original guys sold it. They gave the file to the new owners and not the settings and cutting speeds. So I have about 15 indicators that have burned edges and water type plastic stains bled across the face that render them into garbage. Bummer. So I have ordered more of this special plexi and it should be here in a few days. We are going to experiment with settings before hitting print all.

But here is what it looks like getting etched on the laser.

More on that later. I still have some pretty good ones left fortunately.

So I spent an entire day in front of the bearing press straightening all the bumper pieces for the chrome guy. On the rear bumper center piece, it has a trailer plug hole that needs to go away. They told me not to weld the hole shut. They must figure I was going to use a road flare and solder or something. They also told me not to straighten anything. BS as I will get it dialed in and I did.
I know metal shrinks. I was going to TIG weld the hole shut and get it ready for them. How dare I mess with their billable time.

Lots and lots of pressing and checking with a straight edge. Sneak up on it as one of my old bosses would say. The end pieces had dozens of bends and flaws. Not anymore.

Many different shapes were used. I have numerous bumpers and ends. There was not one straight one in the pile. I used a strip of rubber to not mar the chrome.

So one extra end and front piece. They should be able to charge me a fortune with all this. I will probably leave the extra front home. It still has dents and I did not feel like straightening them since the other front center was great.

And then into the seats. I wore a mask cause I saw a mouse poop. And after going on about hantavirus in joggerfoggers thread I figured I had better be safe. I found a pretty big mess. I had bought a seat from 66stepside and brought it to the shop along with Sadies original seats. Both front seats had broken springs. Sadies were a mess. Deciding the seat from 66stepside was in better shape I started removing broken springs and see what I could rob from Sadies to make one good one. But not till I hosed off both seats big time with high pressure water.

Broken springs everywhere.

Both on the bench.

You have to bend the curl out of the end of each spring. Then wiggle and sometimes use a brass drift to remove them. You also have to open the crimped rolls that hold everything together. I used channel locks to get a gap then two screw drivers to pry them open enough to remove the collar.

See the retaining curl on the left spring. You have to straighten that some or you will never get it out.

This helped get them back in.

I figured I would use the center springs since those don't get worked much. No go as they are shorter by several inches and won't fit on the sides. I was lucky to have exactly enough springs to fix one seat. 6 on the drivers side bottom, two replacements in the back. I am going to add a couple coils that I still need to purchase. And a support bracket I need to make for the coils. There is no doubt that these springs are tired and given the same use will crack and fail. So I am going to add a few to firm it up some. Here is the seat as of today. All repaired and ready for modification. Oddly the springs in the newer seat clipped in to the left. Sadies all clipped in to the right. They changed it up for some reason. That is why there is a gap there where the drivers right thigh will rest.. I will modify it and make it mo better.

The rear seat back looks savable. The bottom cushion needs some new burlap with the metal rods woven through. I will use the newer seat front bottom cushion also. Sadies had a big hole in it. I have a list of stuff to get in Spokane. When I take the chrome parts in I will make a trip to Royal and get some cord, burlap, seat cushion foam, and what ever else I determine.
After today there is hope for these seats. this morning I was wondering just how this would play out. It was only a two bandaid job.

And the new building is going up. I am really looking forward to it. This room will have heavy duty sewing machines, electrical repair stuff, hobby stuff (RC Tugboat) and firewall pads and a couple other things will get made in here.

Two bays that will get concrete and walls. I really need this space.

The backside of the building. There will be three 30 foot bays to park stuff out of the snow.

And thanks to 81Jseries who trusted me enough to send his early reverse light panels at my request for patterning and adding a new item to my list of jeep stuff I make, here is a new set of panels that I can now make along with the tailgate panels. When I get done with Sadie, I will start putting these on ebay.

Thank you Brian (81Jseries)

More soon.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 07-26-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:43 AM
232 I6

I received the reverse light panels a few days ago and the fit & finish of them could not be better! Thank you for taking all of the time to source the material and reproduce such a nice product.

Also, I have major building envy. That's going to be a nice shop!
Old 07-31-2018, 09:59 AM
304 AMC

Thank you Brian! I enjoy making stuff and appreciate a good challenge. Those panels were not to bad. I just had to machine up some bushings for the big hole punch to make it easier. I am set to make them now.
The building is going up as I write. They are Mennonite and work very hard. Plus the mans kids work for him and they are great workers and don't look like a meth head that is scoping you out for a visit later. Had that happen with a concrete crew a couple years back. I don't trust very many people to come here.

So yesterday was a full day on the road. Took the 6 pieces of the bumpers to a different chrome shop just down the road from the place that did the door handles and emblems. I could tell I should have gone there to begin with. You can't tell unless you try them sometimes. 3 weeks and I will have them back. Stopped at a sewing shop and got several different needles, threads and a mild education. I am seizing up the headliner.
Also stopped at a well equipped upholstery shop and picked up all the supplies to rebuild and modify the seats in Sadie. Coils, burlap, high grade foam, paper covered wire stringers, felt, better glue that is heat resistant, the works. I am laying everything out this morning and making a plan. I will post everything as usual. I promise I won't take a picture of setting down the coffee cup.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM
350 Buick

I know this is a Jeep build but please post pics of your pole barn build!

Did you use any post protectors or posts right in the ground? Any sort of footing for the posts or?
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeepster
I know this is a Jeep build but please post pics of your pole barn build!

Did you use any post protectors or posts right in the ground? Any sort of footing for the posts or?

Can do! 96 and humid out and these guys are rocking and rolling. The posts are treated and laminated. So there is chemical in the middle. I asked them to pour the holes full to the top when they normally only do a foot or so in the bottom of a 4 foot deep hole. The poles were set on a 18ish round concrete biscuit about 4 inches thick. I have a lot of water here in the snow melt. A couple posts like our gate had rotted because they poured 7-8 inches shy of grade. I opened it one day and it went craaaack and fell completely to the ground gate and all. Fortunately it missed the rig. When ever I set a post I run the mud high and taper it with a trowel for no puddling. I also paint black tar foundation sealer on the post 4-5 inches above grade. Extra steps but it is worth it later. And it looks good.

Taken 5 minutes ago... 14 foot door openings for an old beater backhoe and resale later for a RV or something.

The back side. I will be able to put a parts loft in at 6-7 feet and still not need to duck. So More jeep parts in my future?

Ok so the seat has kept me busy all morning. I did some fabrication and used the coil springs I bought yesterday to support the drivers and passengers butt. This will firm up the seat but that is OK. The foam is next after my break. I will be sewing seat belt webbing in long straps from side to side sleeved over paper covered wire and hog ringed to the seat metal sides. This will spread the load and keep any one spring from hopefully getting broken.
The Jeep factory used fine wire where I am replacing the webbing. Webbing won't break and between that and the burlap, will provide the buffer between the foam and metal springs. The burlap is there to keep the springs from cutting into the foam. I picked up new burlap.

The new supports. Cut, run through the bead roller and folded on a brake. The bead and fold allow it to be flexible and still have some strength.

Closer.

Even closer. Hopefully they won't squeak later.

Break is over. I will post more later. I think the seat mods are done. It should hold up for a while. Everyone is learning here especially me.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 07-31-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:15 PM
304 AMC

Still working on the seats. I decided to run seat belt webbing in two passes across the front seat bottom. This will help distribute the weight over several springs. I used big truss head tubular rivets and a stainless backing washer to secure each end. Got everything painted and hog ringed the foam back on the springs.

Seat belt support. This will last a lot longer than burlap.

Putting back the bottom foam. Trying to grab the burlap that is cast into the foam. I could not remove or replace it. It seemed fine so I let it alone.

All done under here. I would rather have the seat be to firm than spongy. That breaks springs.

Here is a teaser picture for Bill. This is the correct pattern for this 1970 rig.

So I have been reading up on how to do seats. I have been having a hard time getting the new vinyl on. I read that you can get a can of silicone and mist it on the foam. This will help the new material slip right over. It is always safe to bet that it will be a sweaty wrestling match. So be it. I will put on my Sumo wrestler diaper and go to it when the time comes.

Like the factory set up I glued felt down around the frame of the springs. This protects the vinyl. I used fast tack 92 for high temp glue. Grainger has the best prices.

Then with careful measuring on the foam I cut it out to wrap around the top by 3 inches and the bottom by 1 inch. Just enough to cover the spring wire. I also sewed two pieces of burlap together for a double thickness. I glued the center and zig zagged the stitching with several passes. The paper covered wire that sleeves into the loops is called listing wire. Jeep used it but it was only compacted paper twisted in a spiral. This listing wire has a wire in it wrapped by paper. The paper is to keep it from squeaking on other metal parts.

Gluing the double layer burlap to the new 1 inch thick automotive grade foam. I ran three inches of burlap for the bottom past the foam. And 1 inch on the top. The bottom now that I have clipped it in could have been 2 or 2.5 inches. I am trying to space it equal to the new vinyl and the space between the seams.

I had to clamp it with a board and a ratchet strap. I was fighting it till I did this.

That gave me slack to hog ring in the bottom into the designated oval slots. Make sure you grab the listing wire. I missed it a couple times and had to do it again.

Keep in mind I have never done this before. So I am winging it. I folded the corners and ran a sharpie to establish a pie cut.

This photo was deleted by photobucket for violation of terms of use. I asked why and they claimed it was an error with my picture. Uh.... OK.

Don't cut the burlap. Tuck the burlap into the fold and spray it with glue.

Once glued and folded you can use a hog ring to grab both sides and hold the pie cut closed.

I drilled a hole and secured the listing wire. Don't cut them off as they will poke a hole in the new material if they find there way to it.

After clipping in the top this leaves some waves. This will show badly in the top of the seat under the vinyl. The style of seat vinyl since it flows over the top from the back is called a water fall cover. So everything needs to be smooth here. I cut a wider felt strip and put tape down to spray glue on the foam and first layer of felt. This will bridge the gap between the two and help hold down the bumps.

Now the felt is dense. 1/8 thick it still has an edge to it. That will show also. So using a sander I shredded the edge to diffuse it and get a smooth transition to the foam. It may still show some but not anywhere near as bad as it would if I had not reduced the sharp edge of the felt.

This is much better. The bumps look like they are settling down too.

I am now just about ready for vinyl. I have some painting to do on the back seat frame with the mounts for the front seat. I got the fronts done with bumper brackets and drivelines today. I need to go to harbor freight (horrible freight ) for some blasting media. I will go in a day or so.
I have set up a tarp and plywood walls outside for a sand blasting mini booth. I have the rear seat lower pan half done. I need more media after recycling it twice through a window screen.

Bumper brackets. There is a part number stamped on each side. They have a slight curve and are not interchangable as I had assumed. Sadies were bent and I used spares that were straight. I get the rechromed bumpers back around August 25th ish.

Got a good friend coming tomorrow for a week. His once a year vacation here. I have a firewall pad set to finish for Mrs Beastie a member back east, and then I need to relax some. I will still get stuff done though. I see summer is passing by. The hummingbirds are leaving already. It's going to snow any minute now.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 08-10-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM
350 Buick

I keep saying to myself that you will probably send this out, or that out, but you hardly ever do that! You must feel like a total failure having to send the bumpers out for chrome. I hope that move doesn't land you in therapy for a few weeks. Again, nice work!

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 AM
304 AMC

It is nice to have have stuff done by someone else. It is just not good for the wallet.

I find it incredible that Photobucket removed my corner fold upholstery picture.
Ridiculous beyond explanation. .

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 08-10-2018, 09:38 AM
304 AMC

Picture showing how to establish a corner pie cut restored.

Bumper rechroming done and I will travel Monday to pick up all 6 pieces and bolts to attach them. Of course the price went up. But the shop completed the work ahead of schedule. Refreshing.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old Today, 09:02 AM
350 Buick

Thanks for the pole barn pics! Dreaming of building a nice pole barn is basically all that keeps me going...

You may have posted about it before, but what sand blasting setup do you have?
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360
Old Today, 10:17 AM
304 AMC

My new building is all done except for concrete in the closed in part. I booked this building 5 months ago and there is nobody available to do the mud.
I would do it myself as I have poured many floors and foundations, but I don't have the time or help. The building is great and already getting filled.

Sandblasting.
I picked up a 100 pound capacity unit from Eastwood. Typically I would buy something like this somewhere else as they seem to have higher prices.
But this unit seemed comparable to Northern tool and everywhere else I checked. Yesterday was spent on the road and one of my stops was harbor freight for 125 pounds of 70 grit blasting media. They had a unit that pretty much looked the same and it was cheaper. I just have not had good luck with harbor freight with stuff like this. So I went with eastwood mainly for their easy return policy.

I use a big tarp with wood sides to try and capture the media. I recycle it through a screen and re-use it. I did not have enough so I got more yesterday.
It was taking to long to reclaim it with the 25 pounds I had available.

I am still trying to dial in the pressure and media flow. You can shoot it all out in no time if it is not set right.

My set up.

So many miles yesterday. I stopped in and asked about the two razor grills at the powder coater.
They were hooked up to the hangers and ready for coating when I arrived.
I had not heard from them in weeks so I wanted to show up and inquire. They should be done this week.
I stopped at horrible freight and got my media, then drove from Idaho to Spokane WA to pick up the chromed bumpers. They are stunning. I decided this morning to go ahead and paint the back sides because Sadies home being in Seattle has a semi salt water environment and I don't want to have any corrosion form later.

I will have fingerprints all over them in no time...

The edges got polished and cleaned up. These are 100 times better than when they left the factory in 1970.

I need to finish a firewall pad set today for someone that has been more than patient. Then I can paint the backsides and hopefully install them tomorrow.
It was 35 degrees here the last two nights. 90 during the day. That is a big temp swing. There is so much smoke in the air my wife and I are trying to stay inside. We both have sore throats from it. Loads of fun.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : Today at 10:27 AM.