I have to laugh. My nearest town is not that small. I called DMV today to ask a title question. They answered (I am not kidding) "Is this Al the jeep guy"?
Why YES, yes it is....
Totally cracked me up. I told them I was trying to not bring any more jeeps home. And I have a support group. That would be all of you guys here at IFSJA.
So I motored to makerpoint to make a bunch more shift indicators. The original guys sold it. They gave the file to the new owners and not the settings and cutting speeds. So I have about 15 indicators that have burned edges and water type plastic stains bled across the face that render them into garbage. Bummer. So I have ordered more of this special plexi and it should be here in a few days. We are going to experiment with settings before hitting print all.
But here is what it looks like getting etched on the laser.
More on that later. I still have some pretty good ones left fortunately.
So I spent an entire day in front of the bearing press straightening all the bumper pieces for the chrome guy. On the rear bumper center piece, it has a trailer plug hole that needs to go away. They told me not to weld the hole shut. They must figure I was going to use a road flare and solder or something. They also told me not to straighten anything. BS as I will get it dialed in and I did.
I know metal shrinks. I was going to TIG weld the hole shut and get it ready for them. How dare I mess with their billable time.
Lots and lots of pressing and checking with a straight edge. Sneak up on it as one of my old bosses would say. The end pieces had dozens of bends and flaws. Not anymore.
Many different shapes were used. I have numerous bumpers and ends. There was not one straight one in the pile. I used a strip of rubber to not mar the chrome.
So one extra end and front piece. They should be able to charge me a fortune with all this. I will probably leave the extra front home. It still has dents and I did not feel like straightening them since the other front center was great.
And then into the seats. I wore a mask cause I saw a mouse poop. And after going on about hantavirus in joggerfoggers thread I figured I had better be safe. I found a pretty big mess. I had bought a seat from 66stepside and brought it to the shop along with Sadies original seats. Both front seats had broken springs. Sadies were a mess. Deciding the seat from 66stepside was in better shape I started removing broken springs and see what I could rob from Sadies to make one good one. But not till I hosed off both seats big time with high pressure water.
Broken springs everywhere.
Both on the bench.
You have to bend the curl out of the end of each spring. Then wiggle and sometimes use a brass drift to remove them. You also have to open the crimped rolls that hold everything together. I used channel locks to get a gap then two screw drivers to pry them open enough to remove the collar.
See the retaining curl on the left spring. You have to straighten that some or you will never get it out.
This helped get them back in.
I figured I would use the center springs since those don't get worked much. No go as they are shorter by several inches and won't fit on the sides. I was lucky to have exactly enough springs to fix one seat. 6 on the drivers side bottom, two replacements in the back. I am going to add a couple coils that I still need to purchase. And a support bracket I need to make for the coils. There is no doubt that these springs are tired and given the same use will crack and fail. So I am going to add a few to firm it up some. Here is the seat as of today. All repaired and ready for modification. Oddly the springs in the newer seat clipped in to the left. Sadies all clipped in to the right. They changed it up for some reason. That is why there is a gap there where the drivers right thigh will rest.. I will modify it and make it mo better.
The rear seat back looks savable. The bottom cushion needs some new burlap with the metal rods woven through. I will use the newer seat front bottom cushion also. Sadies had a big hole in it. I have a list of stuff to get in Spokane. When I take the chrome parts in I will make a trip to Royal and get some cord, burlap, seat cushion foam, and what ever else I determine.
After today there is hope for these seats. this morning I was wondering just how this would play out. It was only a two bandaid job.
And the new building is going up. I am really looking forward to it. This room will have heavy duty sewing machines, electrical repair stuff, hobby stuff (RC Tugboat) and firewall pads and a couple other things will get made in here.
Two bays that will get concrete and walls. I really need this space.
The backside of the building. There will be three 30 foot bays to park stuff out of the snow.
And thanks to 81Jseries who trusted me enough to send his early reverse light panels at my request for patterning and adding a new item to my list of jeep stuff I make, here is a new set of panels that I can now make along with the tailgate panels. When I get done with Sadie, I will start putting these on ebay.
Thank you Brian (81Jseries)