• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowJeep
    350 Buick
    • Jan 20, 2007

Lake Meredith Rec Area - TX

If you guys get sick of seeing these from me, let me know. My local group is pretty active with land use stuff and we get lots of information like this. I'll keep posting them until someone says don't. Knowledge is power!

===============================================

Lake Meredith National Recreation Area is seeking comments on an Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The National Park Service (NPS) requests your participation in the project planning process to identify potential environmental impacts, issues, concerns, and alternative concepts. The NPS would like to discuss the proposal and gather any thoughts, ideas, or comments that you may have regarding this project.

Lake Meredith was created for the impoundment and diversion of water for Texas panhandle municipalities in the early 1960s. In 1990, Lake Meredith became a national recreation area for the purpose of providing for public outdoor recreation use and to protect the scenic, scientific, cultural, and other values contributing to the public enjoyment of Lake Meredith's lands and waters.

There are two authorized off-road vehicle (ORV) use areas at Lake Meredith National Recreation Area (Recreation Area): Blue Creek and Rosita (also known as Rosita Flats). The two areas were designated as ORV areas in the 1970s by special regulation 36 CFR  7.57. ORV use is authorized from cutbank to cutbank along approximately 275 acres of Blue Creek. ORVs are allowed in the Rosita area below the 3,000 foot elevation.

In 2005, Lake Meredith NRA and other park units were sued for allowing ORV use in areas without a special regulation and for failing to monitor ORV use. In response to the lawsuit, the Recreation Area initiated this planning effort in October of 2007 with internal scoping. The plan, and regulation, if needed, will address ORV use at both Rosita and Blue Creek.

Scoping is the first step to involve the public in the environmental impact analysis process. Scoping includes holding meetings and providing opportunities for the public to comment. The NPS uses your comments to ensure that it is considering all of the possible alternatives for the management of the resource.

The NPS will host three public scoping meetings during the month of July (see schedule below). The meetings will consist of an open house with NPS staff on hand to visit with you, answer questions, and record your input. Attendees may also submit comments on written forms available at the meeting.

Open House Schedule

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:00 pm-8:00 pm
    Sanford-Fritch Middle School Cafeteria
    536 Eagle Blvd
    Fritch, Texas

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:00 pm-8:30 pm
    First State Bank
    Community Room
    500 E. First Street
    Dumas, Texas

Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:00 pm-8:00 pm
    The Ambassador Hotel
    3100 I-40, Exit 68B
    Amarillo, Texas

Attendees may also submit comments on written forms available at the meeting. Comments may also be submitted electronically at: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/LAMR(select ORV Management Plan and Regulation)

Submit written comments by mail to:
    Superintendent,
    Lake Meredith NRA
    RE: ORV Management Plan
    P.O. Box 1460
    Fritch, TX 79036

The comment period for scoping will be open until July 28, 2008.
    Chad-
    88 Wrangler - TBI350 SM465 Ford 8.8
    79 Cherokee Golden Eagle - AKA "The Screamin Eagle" 5.3 Runs and Drives. TH400 and Q-Trac!
    77 Pontiac CanAm - 6.0LSx/4l80e swap
    2010 - Ford Flex Limited AKA the wifes wagon
    Carbs suck!
Working...
X