• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gladiator265
    232 I6
    • Sep 12, 2012

Kaiser Era Emblem Paint Colors

OK so I know I have seen this question thrown around before but for the life of me I can't find the thread nor do I remember if there was ever a solid answer that was agreed upon. Sooo.....

I want to repaint the Grill emblem and fender emblems but does anybody know what the actual colors are that would be a period correct match? I would like to restore them as best I can but I don't have and can't seem to find the paint codes/names.

If all else fails I will probably go down the testor's paint path and find something close but I wanted to give it a shot before I did that.

Thanks!
    66 J2000 "Lily", 5.7Hemi, 07 Ram chassis.

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
  • WHSII
    Hack-Priss
    • Feb 06, 2010

Originally posted by Gladiator265
    OK so I know I have seen this question thrown around before but for the life of me I can't find the thread nor do I remember if there was ever a solid answer that was agreed upon. Sooo.....

I want to repaint the Grill emblem and fender emblems but does anybody know what the actual colors are that would be a period correct match? I would like to restore them as best I can but I don't have and can't seem to find the paint codes/names.

If all else fails I will probably go down the testor's paint path and find something close but I wanted to give it a shot before I did that.

Thanks!
    Gladiator,

I did a quick search and could not find any info. I believe the emblem is aluminum, white, red and gold. The Testers colors should be close.

Good luck!
    WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
    Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• WHSII
      Hack-Priss
      • Feb 06, 2010

Went back and searched again, found this in the archives:

I am rebuilding some kaiser baby moons. I have been searching for the correct colors for the hubcaps. I found this site that has the different colors found on Kaiser rigs. I am trying to match the orange and gold. http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Kaiser&page=2&rows=50 Is the Indian ceramic 332 the

Hope this helps...
      WH

Comment

• TexasJ10
        360 AMC
        • Jan 03, 2002

Originally posted by WHSII

I am rebuilding some kaiser baby moons. I have been searching for the correct colors for the hubcaps. I found this site that has the different colors found on Kaiser rigs. I am trying to match the orange and gold. http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Kaiser&page=2&rows=50 Is the Indian ceramic 332 the

Hope this helps...
        I could never get Kenall's link to work in the thread listed.it seems to be protected.
        * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
        * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
        . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
        * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• Gladiator265
          232 I6
          • Sep 12, 2012

Originally posted by WHSII

Hope this helps...
          Thanks WHSII!!

Hopefully Kenall can still pull those paint codes from his testors bottles.

Comment

• WHSII
            Hack-Priss
            • Feb 06, 2010

Testors paint:

I have used them since the first plastic model I ever built. Paint codes are not necessary, the have a bright red, dark red, ect. White is white, gold is gold. I do not think you will have a problem.

I think the Ditzier colors might be closer, I do not know, but you will probably have to buy a pint of each. Your call.
            WH

Comment

• TexasJ10
              360 AMC
              • Jan 03, 2002

* 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
              . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years

Comment

• WHSII
                Hack-Priss
                • Feb 06, 2010

Wow Texas J10!

I stand corrected! I have only seen the Testers paint in a small hobby shop or retail store.

I never knew there were so many variations.

Thanks for sharing.

It makes the situation much more difficult. Of course not your fault!
                WH

Comment

• TexasJ10
                  360 AMC
                  • Jan 03, 2002

Testers really increased what they are offering. Hopefully kenall will chime is as to what color he found to match. It could be the old enamel completion orange which is still available. I bet those are the ones you are remembering.

Last edited by TexasJ10; 10-28-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Gladiator265
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 12, 2012

Ok so I finally got to the stage in the project where I need to actually get these things painted so I ran up to the local hobby shop (which specialized in planes) and dug through there paint selection.

Sadly since they did all planes they had every possible military plane color ever made but were rather limited on the oranges and golds. I did find a Chevrolet Engine Red which in the bottle looks almost perfect! Of course after a test app it dries a lot more true to the red in it's name and looses some orange. Might be close enough to make it work, we'll see. The gold they had was just basic gold and after a test paint it seemed to be pretty far off so I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board on that one. I know the online pictures can be pretty off when it comes to color but I think the champagne gold may be the next one I try.

Anyone have any ideas, especially on the gold?

Looked so close in the bottle thought I had it! Until it dried

Comment

• TexasJ10
                      360 AMC
                      • Jan 03, 2002

I've been trying to figure this out as well. I think the international Orange 12197 is pretty close on the Orange. The kaiser gold color seems to have some olive green in it. I found a color called gold metallic flake 1542 that has some green in it that seems close as well when mixed real well, but too yellow and not enough grey. I decided it will probably take a mix to match the gold. Haven't worked on the white yet. I'm not sure my eyes are that great and it is amazing how different light conditions change how a color looks. The picture posted above looks a lot more gold than the horn button I have which looks more olive drab, almost like a light olive drab metallic. Hopefully someone can figure it out.
                      Last edited by TexasJ10; 06-03-2015, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• mud89
                        304 AMC
                        • Nov 18, 2009

Originally posted by Gladiator265
                        Ok so I finally got to the stage in the project where I need to actually get these things painted so I ran up to the local hobby shop (which specialized in planes) and dug through there paint selection.

Anyone have any ideas, especially on the gold?
                        I compared with "gold beige" code 393 , it's very close
                        acme: 60-5131, 22-5131
                        ditzler DDL_22705, DQE-22705
                        Dupont : 98051
                        J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

Have you guys taken a look at the emblems here

Mostly a Jeepster site, he has a bunch of stuff for wagoneers.

I purchased some and they are very nice.
                          Melford1972 says...
                          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra
                          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Gladiator265
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 12, 2012

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                            Have you guys taken a look at the emblems here

Mostly a Jeepster site, he has a bunch of stuff for wagoneers.

I purchased some and they are very nice.
                            I'll have to pick up a few parts for the Jeepster too then!

Took a look and unfortunately they didn't have what I needed O well it was worth a shot, thanks for the link though!

Comment

• Gladiator265
                              232 I6
                              • Sep 12, 2012

So after some deliberation I have finally figured out what I am going to do.

The orange is going to be Hemi Engine Orange and the Gold is going to be the universal gold. The Hemi Orange was actually very close and the universal gold is pretty close as well.

While not exact, it gives a nod to the old 327(gold) that powered the 1st resto of her and the Hemi(orange) that will power her. Gives some meaning to it and to most they'll never notice the difference anyway.

Hemi Orange dried on a test strip

screen shot of the old Vigilante, horn ring, and cap from the Hemi can. Actually going to line up fairly well!

Comment

Working...
                              X