• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mg mike
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 07, 2017

Park Brake

New member here. Does anyone know if there is a spring located in the park brake pedal assembly to hold the brake in the set position? My brake kicks off without touching the release lever. I have removed and inspected it but can't see why it has a hair trigger. My Jeep is a 1968 Gladiator. Thank, Mike
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Inspect the teeth and the little pawl that catches them. As long as they are in good shape it should not release. The one small spring you might be missing is one that presses down on the pawl. It is thinner than a paper clip and frequently rusts away leaving the pawl without any pressure to push it into the teeth. It would be coiled around the shaft the pawl pivots on and has arms that press on the small flat in the center of the pawl. If it has no spring that is why.

I fixed an ebrake by putting a mini coil spring in there and welding a small cover spanning the top frame of the brake assembly. It is in my Another 70 build thread back several pages from current postings. It was a pain and I would not do it again unless I needed some self induced punishment.
    Next time I had to do this repair I would find a similar spring and drill out the rivet post the pawl pivots on and replace it with a machine screw once the new spring was installed.
    I might have an extra for you if yours is not workable. Most of the springs are a day away from failure. I would have to look and see if mine is any good. PM me if you get desperate.

And welcome!
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• delta 18
      232 I6
      • Aug 11, 2015

I had a similar issue, but I still had my spring. Mine was just gummed up with 30 yr old grease. Took it out, cleaned it up, re-lubed and it worked again.
      Mike
      '87 grandwagoneer,

MSD 6A
      229 727 dana 44 axles

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

So you can see what I was talking about. I took this today while in the shop.

Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• mg mike
          230 Tornado
          • Dec 07, 2017

Kaiserjeeps, thanks for the info and the outstanding photo. I thought that there had to be something more than gravity to keep the pawl engaged in the ratchet teeth. Don't know where the original spring went as my Jeep is relatively rust free. I'll take your suggestion by finding a spring and removing the riveted pivot to access. Glad I joined this forum. Looks like it is frequented by knowledgeable and helpful members. Thanks again, Mike

Comment

• bufurd
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 13, 2008

I don't trust em at all, 3 of mine release on their own. The only one I trust is in Humpty, I replaced the peddle and all with an electric actuator mounted to the cross member.
            Current fleet
            Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
            Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
            Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
            Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
            07 JK Wife bought new...
            13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Cherokee Outlaw
              • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by bufurd
              I don't trust em at all, 3 of mine release on their own. The only one I trust is in Humpty, I replaced the peddle and all with an electric actuator mounted to the cross member.
              Where did you get said actuator?
              -Jonny B.
              1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
              7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
              AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
              NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
              F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
              R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Wagoneer - Sold
              1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

A linear actuator with a stout long spring is a great way to remedy this. Years ago while building a hot rod 66 Ford truck for a guy in Portland I pondered a device like that. Using Lokar products it would sell like hotcakes at a logger competition. Switch activated it would make someone wealthy who decided to run it through.

Mike you might need to drill a window in the frame of the ebrake to get a new machine screw into place. And you most likely will have to grind down the head to clear the frame. Like a mini carriage bolt. Loctite the nut so it always stays in place. If you do this post up so we can watch...
                Melford1972 says...
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                X