• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monte
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 24, 2018

Australian 1983 J20 Vin

Hi, researching details on a j20 I am looking at purchasing, can anyone assist with the Vin number decode?

Vin number 6JBN227YXBD0011233

Some of the code deciphers, but the "B" doesn't make any sense

Jeep presently is a 360 Auto on the floor Town-side Body, supposedly from the factory.

Also what would be the diff options available for this year.

Towing weight capabilities.

Last edited by monte; 08-27-2018, 03:39 AM.
  • mud89
    304 AMC
    • Nov 18, 2009

VIN decoding :

6 Australia
    J Jeep
    B should be a type like "truck" (i don't have the exact meaning)
    N 360
    B Auto floor (i think it's actually "B" instead of "2")
    27 J20
    Y 8400 lbs GVW
    X don't know
    B 1981
    D australian plant

I guess that the serial number is rather : 1233 ?
    J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

I'm not familiar with the OZ VIN codes but the US system would make the 10th digit "B" a 1981 model year not 83.
      The 5th digit if "B" not a "2" would make it auto trans w/full time transfercase In 81 that would be the NP 219 which is easy to tell. There is no 2WD mode. If it's really an 83 it would be the NP229 also easy to tell. There would be a two handed 2WD/4WD vacuum switch on the dash. Also the front axle will have a vacuum axle disconnect motor sticking out of the cover. I also don't get your auto trans shifter is on the floor? That was never an option in the US. Sounds like an owner installed modification but don't know about OZ?
      The differentials should be HD D44 front, Full floater D60 rear. Standard gearing would be 3.73 but there were optional lower (higher numerically)gear sets as options like 4.10 etc. There should be a ratio tag between two of the diff cover bolts.
      For towing capacity? It depends on the class of hitch you have?
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• mud89
        304 AMC
        • Nov 18, 2009

Joe, i am not 100% sure since the pic is small , but my understanding is that this shifter is specific to FSJs built in Australia in the eighties, i already saw them several times
        There are generally at least one year between the year in the VIN and the sale date, makes me think that maybe the year in the VIN corresponded to the CKD kits
        J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Hi Mud, I'm not familiar with OZ built rigs at all so if you've seen OZ factory floor shift AT's I defer to you. Pretty truck but yeah...tiny pictures.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
          X